Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: On average, how many hours per week do you dedicate to the study of foreign languages?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jussi Rosti
Jussi Rosti  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:52
Member (2005)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Right Jun 29, 2007

Andrea Riffo wrote:

emoreda wrote:

I must confess that I am a bit surprised that more than 50% of the people who answered the poll have chosen the option "None".

Perhaps is it assumed that translators know their foreign languages so well that no further learning is needed? Just wondering...

Perhaps some people took the question to mean "study formally", as in, language lessons at an institute, private tutoring, or even personal study but with a fixed schedule of sorts?

I answered 1-2 because of this reason. I understood learning as formal studying. Of course, I'm all the time learning my major languages (both in work and in general contact with natives & related cultures), but I didn't count that in. Anyway, there were not available options like "50 hours a week" or "80 hours a week"!

The 1-2 hours refers to the time I devote to learning those languages, that I don't master yet (I'm not fluent in), like Portuguese and Thai.

I would like to spend about 10 hours a week, and I will, in near future, when I will have finished my big fat book project.

-jr

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:52
Spanish to English
Foreign language study Jun 29, 2007

I am married to a Spanish woman and live and work in Valencia and if I called her language "foreign"?¿!!.....
......but being a translator involves, consciously and subconsciously, studying language.

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
I'm a bit of a Pimsleur junkie Jun 29, 2007

So I've always got one of their programs loaded on my cell phone while I'm walking the dog. I think the locals at the corner wurst joint think of me as the crazy guy who wanders through the park with his dog, muttering in tongues... but at 1/2 a lesson, that's 3-4 hours a week in the end.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Jun 29, 2007

It varies enormously.

Practically none this week, because I've had too much work.
But next month I'm going on holiday, and already putting books on the pile to consider as summer reading.

I usually buy several books in the summer and read them too. OK, one is going to be Harry Potter 7 this year, but there are several titles on linguistics on the list and visits to Foyle's, Grant & Cutler and Heff
... See more
It varies enormously.

Practically none this week, because I've had too much work.
But next month I'm going on holiday, and already putting books on the pile to consider as summer reading.

I usually buy several books in the summer and read them too. OK, one is going to be Harry Potter 7 this year, but there are several titles on linguistics on the list and visits to Foyle's, Grant & Cutler and Heffer's/Blackwell's planned...

Of course you could discuss whether English and Danish are f o r e i g n languages for me... But I study both fairly avidly in bursts, and brush up on my other languages as required.

I tend to go for subject areas like Law on one-day courses and then read afterwards, then drop all study for a week or two. But I keep my eyes and ears open and absorb or learn new things all the time.
Collapse

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 04:52
German to English
+ ...
None...but Jun 29, 2007

I put "none" - but I DO spend about 60 hours a week reading and translating German, not to mention the bazillion hours looking up (and I suppose learning!) new terms, talking to clients and writing mails in German!

So perhaps I should have answered differently!

Stefano77
Stefano77
German to Italian
+ ...
1-2 hours for a new language Jun 29, 2007

Hello everybody!

I selected 1-2 hours a week because I interpreted the question as not considering one's working languages. I am studying Icelandic at the moment, just for fun, which is the only way I can learn a language properly But of course I don't have much spare time and I am happy when I get those 1-2 hours íslenska.

Greets,
S.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 04:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Should have answered Other Jun 29, 2007

but answered 3-4 hours/week. It's not what I would call studying and definitely not for professional reasons. I have training CDs that I play in my car, French and Italian. Only to be able to communicate on a simple level to begin with. I have a tiny place in Italy where I plan to stay for at least a couple of years and see as many other European countries as I'd be able to afford if I live long enough to retire:-). I'm sure that decent English and a little bit of French and Italian will not onl... See more
but answered 3-4 hours/week. It's not what I would call studying and definitely not for professional reasons. I have training CDs that I play in my car, French and Italian. Only to be able to communicate on a simple level to begin with. I have a tiny place in Italy where I plan to stay for at least a couple of years and see as many other European countries as I'd be able to afford if I live long enough to retire:-). I'm sure that decent English and a little bit of French and Italian will not only get me through but enable to enjoy bumping into and chatting with locals. I am good at making people talk:-) and I love to chat and exchange laughs with a good company of strangers anywhere I travel.Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
0 for me Jul 2, 2007

Andrea Riffo wrote:

emoreda wrote:

I must confess that I am a bit surprised that more than 50% of the people who answered the poll have chosen the option "None".

Perhaps is it assumed that translators know their foreign languages so well that no further learning is needed? Just wondering...

Perhaps some people took the question to mean "study formally", as in, language lessons at an institute, private tutoring, or even personal study but with a fixed schedule of sorts?
Of course I understood it that way, because if it's about "absorbing new nuances on a daily basis", you just can't quantify it. It's obvious that we all do, but we can't say "I'm absorbing the language 1 hour per day"
So if it's about counting in hours, I understand this is obviously about formal study.

I used to learn Japanese 2 hours a week (a bit more when I was diligent enough to do some homework...), but I gave it up this year because I was not dedicating enough time to it, which meant I could not tell a single sentence of myself after learning the language for 2 years... So I gave it up and maybe some day I'll start again

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: On average, how many hours per week do you dedicate to the study of foreign languages?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »