Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: My ambition is to translate...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 14, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "My ambition is to translate...".

This poll was originally submitted by ryancolm

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new po
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "My ambition is to translate...".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Kaliamma Ponnan
Kaliamma Ponnan  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 13:37
English to Tamil
+ ...
Work of literature Jul 14, 2007

I would consider it a great honor to be able to translate a work of literature, especially if it is a classic piece of work.

If I can take my pick, I would opt for Paulo Coelho's "The Alchemist," my all time favorite.

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
My ambition is to translate... Jul 14, 2007

Materials that will actually be used for many years to come to disseminate important and useful information in the real world.

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:37
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Espionage documents Jul 14, 2007

Of the very utmost state secrets!

And for which client? Neo ("The Matrix") - that would be the best-intentioned client for such stuff!

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Well, I guess I'm just shallow and frivolous... Jul 14, 2007

Cuz I picked COMICS!!!!

Amy

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:37
Spanish to English
better than anyone else in my fields Jul 14, 2007

sorry if that sounds pompous, but that is what I actually aspire to, and no, I don't for one second think that I actually am better than everyone else, or, for that matter, that I ever will be, but that is the driving ambition that keeps me motivated. In other words, the quality of my work is more important to me than translating anything in the poll list.

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
top video game Jul 15, 2007

I have worked on several major titles only to have my efforts thwarted by other translators who were involved/the game developers themselves making a bad game. It would be nice to do a good job and see that reflected in the end result sometime but unfortunately video games are always large-volume ultra-rush jobs so they always get split...

nordlys75
nordlys75  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:37
English to Japanese
Science books Jul 15, 2007

My ambition is to translate science books for general readers, perhaps written by leading researchers, sharing their deep understanding of our world, from a cell of organisms or subatomic particle, to ecosystem as a whole or the structure of the Universe.

Alfredo Tanús
Alfredo Tanús  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
My ambition is to translate... Jul 15, 2007

... all the remaining seasons of "Lost" that have still not been released in DVD sets.

If anyone knows who is the agency with the gig, please advise!

Thanks.

Alfredo

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Plays Jul 15, 2007

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

I'd love to translate plays - which in some cases could be classed as "great works of literature", I suppose.
I'm nuts about the 17th and 18th centuries and read somewhere that Marivaux's "Le Jeu de l'Amour et du Hasard", a classic of the French theatre sometimes performed by the Comédie Française, was deemed to be untranslatable. For my own enjoyment, I set about translating it to English. It was indeed a challenge, but I completed it and we performed it at our local Arts Club (I didn't get paid for it, we just did it for fun).
Regards,
Jenny.
P.S. I've translated stuff for video games professionally too, once or twice. That was amusing.

Elena Carbonell
Elena Carbonell  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:37
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
the Spanish version of Firefly Jul 15, 2007

One of my favorite TV series of all time. I think it hasn't been aired in Spain so my guess is... it hasn't been translated either. It's full with puns and one-liners so you really have to be creative.

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Documents about clinical research and new drugs Jul 15, 2007

My ambition is to translate more and more difficult documents about clinical research and new drugs. I am fascinated by this field. I think I should have studied medicine at university, now it's too late and the only way to keep my foot in this field is translating this kind of stuff.

Laura

Evelyn Leenen-van Dijk
Evelyn Leenen-van Dijk  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
My ambition is to go completely freelance... Jul 15, 2007

I work parttime as an in-house translator/reviewer and parttime as a freelance translator/reviewer. I would like to go completely freelance in the future.

Groetjes,
Evelyn

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
P.D.Q. Bach Jul 15, 2007

I dream of translating this book into Polish, realizing that it's well-nigh bloody impossible (into other languages as well, probably!)

This is a "monograph" of Bach's fictitious last son, written by Peter Shickele (a composer and musician in his own right).

The whole book is based on word play and puns.

Names of works such as Missa Hilarious, Trance-and-Dental Etudes, A Fanfare for the Common Cold, Serenude;
... See more
I dream of translating this book into Polish, realizing that it's well-nigh bloody impossible (into other languages as well, probably!)

This is a "monograph" of Bach's fictitious last son, written by Peter Shickele (a composer and musician in his own right).

Names of works such as Missa Hilarious, Trance-and-Dental Etudes, A Fanfare for the Common Cold, Serenude;
musical markings such as "yehudi menuetto" or "andanteeny";
names of people like Baron Cozy von Tutti, Sis Boom Bach etc.

give you an idea (for you musically oriented types ) of the challenge.

Best,
Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:37
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Books and plays Jul 15, 2007

I've translated theater (several comedies) and am currently translating a novel. I'd like to do a lot more theatrical and literary translation, though non-fiction books can also be fascinating to translate.

One of my most satisfying projects was as co-translator of a history book. It was built around oral histories describing Spain in the the period just after the Spanish Civil War. The people who were interviewed are now very old, and some were telling their stories publicly for th
... See more
I've translated theater (several comedies) and am currently translating a novel. I'd like to do a lot more theatrical and literary translation, though non-fiction books can also be fascinating to translate.

One of my most satisfying projects was as co-translator of a history book. It was built around oral histories describing Spain in the the period just after the Spanish Civil War. The people who were interviewed are now very old, and some were telling their stories publicly for the first time. It was very moving to read, and it was a pleasure to help give them a voice in the English-speaking world. I wouldn't mind do more projects like that.

PAS wrote (about "PDQ Bach"):

The "works" of PDQ Bach would be a heck of challenge in any language! Years ago, I saw one of Schickele's live PDQ Bach performances (it featured, among other thing, the "ancient Greek" cowboy opera "Oedipus Tex"). Very funny stuff. I keep meaning to buy some of his CDs.

[Edited at 2007-07-15 19:02]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My ambition is to translate...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »