Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When you proofread your work you:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 16, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When you proofread your work you:".

This poll was originally submitted by Satto (Roberto)

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: <
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When you proofread your work you:".

This poll was originally submitted by Satto (Roberto)

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 21:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
A combination of the above... Jul 16, 2007

Sometimes, I prefer reading aloud because it helps me to realise if the translation sounds natural. There are times when I need to read silently in order to analyse the grammatical aspect of the sentences. From my point of view, we should always read aloud the final version of the translation, it really helps a lot.
Regards!

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 07:53
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Silent Reading Jul 16, 2007

My favorite is silent reading. By doing so, I can focus my concentration on the text optimally. Reading aloud is not effective to me. It undermines my concentration.

Best Regards

Hipyan

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:53
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Consistence + orthography + punctuation Jul 16, 2007

Proofreading is a complex task.
It includes actually several aspects which are part of Quality Assessment.
Not everybody is used to such a complete approach, yet there are many aspects which seem obvious:
- Check punctuation: when using CAT tools, it's usual that some dot or semi-colon disappear, or that the space between two words disappear. This is basic.
- Check orthography: sometimes, the same CAT tool mis-takes the spelling of the wrong language and transfers it to t
... See more
Proofreading is a complex task.
It includes actually several aspects which are part of Quality Assessment.
Not everybody is used to such a complete approach, yet there are many aspects which seem obvious:
- Check punctuation: when using CAT tools, it's usual that some dot or semi-colon disappear, or that the space between two words disappear. This is basic.
- Check orthography: sometimes, the same CAT tool mis-takes the spelling of the wrong language and transfers it to the target text - or maybe the translator mis-typed it.
- Consistence of the content: the reading of the text (depends if aloud or not) must give a feeling of "This is an interesting topic" and not of "This is a well-done translation"
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
The screen isn't enough Jul 16, 2007

IMHO a translation isn't finished until it's been printed out and read on paper either silently or out loud. (I read out loud when I'm tired to make sure my eyes don't start gliding over the words).
Reading something over on the screen just isn't enough; it's amazing what your eyes skip over.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 19:53
English to Russian
+ ...
Combo Jul 16, 2007

I edit my work on screen and proofread it on paper.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Reading on paper - a generational thing? Jul 16, 2007

I just wonder whether this is a generational thing though - on reading John Cutler's comments - I too need to see things on paper before they really sink in.

This reminds me of a conversation yesterday with some family members in their twenties (I double them!), who sniffed at my suggestion that no house was complete without dictionaries on the shelves to pull out, saying that having them available on the internet was quite enough. And they didn't even crack a smile when I enquired
... See more
I just wonder whether this is a generational thing though - on reading John Cutler's comments - I too need to see things on paper before they really sink in.

This reminds me of a conversation yesterday with some family members in their twenties (I double them!), who sniffed at my suggestion that no house was complete without dictionaries on the shelves to pull out, saying that having them available on the internet was quite enough. And they didn't even crack a smile when I enquired (with my winning argument, I had thought!) as to how they planned to retire with the computer into the "smallest room in the house", where so much dictionary reading is done...
Collapse

Dr. Derk von Moock
Dr. Derk von Moock
Greece
Local time: 03:53
Greek to German
+ ...
Voice Reader Jul 16, 2007

To avoid my eyes gliding over the text (they do it more easily when it is my own translation) I let the nice girl of "Voice Reader" read it to me loud. You'll find the typos and the other enemies much faster if somebody else is trying to read your text. It took me only little time to hear the problems in my text even by the pronunciation of "Lara" and "Sarah".

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:53
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nice idea ... Jul 16, 2007

Dr. Derk von Moock wrote:

To avoid my eyes gliding over the text (they do it more easily when it is my own translation) I let the nice girl of "Voice Reader" read it to me loud. You'll find the typos and the other enemies much faster if somebody else is trying to read your text. It took me only little time to hear the problems in my text even by the pronunciation of "Lara" and "Sarah".

... always game to try something new, and can imagine it would be a good alternative because as you say one's eyes glide over the text easier if it's your own translation - thanks for the tip.

At the moment I do the same as Irene.

Deborah

[Edited at 2007-07-16 18:17]

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
About Voice Reader... on-screen proofreading Jul 16, 2007

Hi,

Dr. Derk von Moock wrote:

To avoid my eyes gliding over the text (they do it more easily when it is my own translation) I let the nice girl of "Voice Reader" read it to me loud.

Thanks also for this tip.

On the other hand, although I like the idea behind this program, I just listened to some voice samples in its corresponding website and, if I can be honest, I find it a bit "slow" to listen to. It reminded me of some of those airport recordings announcing the departure of a flight, where you can perfectly hear those "unnatural" seconds of pause between words.

I think if I had to listen to the more or less 2000 words per day I produce, I would probably end up falling asleep, because it still sounds a bit like a robot to me.

I think this program can actually be extremely useful in other cases. For example, for people who have moderate to serious eyesight problems.

But hey, if some people, like yourself, find it not so slow to listen to, great...

About the poll question, I prefer to read (a couple times) on screen, mainly to avoid consuming paper.

Good night,

Ivette

anamaria bulgariu
anamaria bulgariu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:53
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Need to think about nature too Jul 16, 2007

Just one thing!
Think about all those trees! It's nice to feel your own work but...is it really necessary?

I'd think twice before printing. Everybody should.

Anyway, I prefer to read from the screen.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
on paper, a must Jul 16, 2007

John Cutler wrote:

IMHO a translation isn't finished until it's been printed out and read on paper either silently or out loud. (I read out loud when I'm tired to make sure my eyes don't start gliding over the words).
Reading something over on the screen just isn't enough; it's amazing what your eyes skip over.

Absolutely, I have so often found typos, even when I was sure the text was OK on screen:-)

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
You think twice before printing BECAUSE you prefer to read from the screen:-) Jul 16, 2007

mab-trad wrote:

Just one thing!
Think about all those trees! It's nice to feel your own work but...is it really necessary?

I'd think twice before printing. Everybody should.

Anyway, I prefer to read from the screen.

You think twice before printing BECAUSE you prefer to read from the screen:-)

Maybe it works for you, but I consider print-reading to be a crucial aspect of my own quality control (I use recycled paper, recycled cartridges etc....I'm very "waste" conscious, in fact ... but consider printing an absolutely necessary part of my work)

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Dragon ... Jul 16, 2007

I used to feel that I had to print out and then read out loud all my work. Now, however, I find that the Word option "View -- Reading Layout" really changes how I see the text and so I no longer have to "waste a tree".

Then I bought Dragon 9, and now I have it read the text aloud in one "Reading Layout" pane with the original in another pane. I read the original while listening to the translation.

All the same, I proofread every document multiple times, and with diffe
... See more
I used to feel that I had to print out and then read out loud all my work. Now, however, I find that the Word option "View -- Reading Layout" really changes how I see the text and so I no longer have to "waste a tree".

Then I bought Dragon 9, and now I have it read the text aloud in one "Reading Layout" pane with the original in another pane. I read the original while listening to the translation.

All the same, I proofread every document multiple times, and with different purposes in mind. First, I check to make sure nothing has been misinterpreted or left out. Then, I look at the document again to make sure that the English grammatical and spelling rules (I go from Spanish into English) have been respected. And then there is the question: "How does it sound?" For that step, I often read it aloud to myself, but without looking at the Spanish original.

Maybe I'm proofreading too much, but I feel it's essential since I'm always making small changes right up to the deadline
Collapse

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:53
Russian to English
+ ...
paper where possible Jul 16, 2007

I like to print things off when it's possible but for some documents (like the 250 page beast I'm working on now) that just isn't feasible.

Otherwise reading out loud is a good option.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When you proofread your work you:

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »