Poll: When you check the quick poll you:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 26, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When you check the quick poll you:".

This poll was originally submitted by Pundora

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When you check the quick poll you:".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:53
English to French
+ ...
the quick poll about the quick poll Jul 26, 2007

This one was missing ....
So for the 1st time I voted and looked at the results and posted. Could not read the messages, though... being the first one to write one.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on the question Jul 26, 2007

I might first check to see how it was/has to be understood.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:53
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Vote and read and maybe ... Jul 26, 2007

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

I usually vote and read the discussion. Unless it's something that bores me to death (such as DTP and Trados) I'll put a comment if I can think of something amusing to say. Oh dear, this comment isn't very amusing ...
(Exit left).
Jenny.

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 19:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depending on the poll Jul 26, 2007

I vote and depending on the poll, I post. There are some topics that are not so interesting, but help me to get to "know" and stay in touch with my colleagues from other parts of the world.

It's interesting to see how many different ways people, involved in the same field, can understand or think of any given topic, no matter how simple it is.

Jon O (X)
Jon O (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
polls about polls? Jul 26, 2007

this is all getting a bit self-referential I think......

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I always like to vote at least Jul 26, 2007

Hi,

I like to at least vote and, after I vote, I then look at the results (usually to avoid being "influenced" by the results). But I participate in the corresponding forum only sometimes (mainly due to time available).

Of course, for me (like probably for most of us), some topics are more "interesting" than others, but I think quick polls can actually be a nice way to keep a daily "presence" in/interaction with the Proz.com online community, especially considering it i
... See more
Hi,

I like to at least vote and, after I vote, I then look at the results (usually to avoid being "influenced" by the results). But I participate in the corresponding forum only sometimes (mainly due to time available).

Of course, for me (like probably for most of us), some topics are more "interesting" than others, but I think quick polls can actually be a nice way to keep a daily "presence" in/interaction with the Proz.com online community, especially considering it is such an international group of people.

Best regards,

Ivette
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
I sometimes read the discussion, but rarely vote ... Jul 26, 2007

at least not since I found out from site staff that the votes are not as anonymous as I thought/expected.

Cilian

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
What's the problem? Jul 26, 2007

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

at least not since I found out from site staff that the votes are not as anonymous as I thought/expected.

Cilian

It is only a multiple-choice question - like those that you used to get at school in Chemistry tests . How much does that give away about you, even if it is not anonymous?

Astrid

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
What's the problem? - Paranoia! Jul 26, 2007

There's no "problem" with this poll, but other polls have addressed more sensitive issues.

If there's a poll, I'll either give an honest answer or no answer. That's how I tick.

And sometimes I'd like to vote so that the result is as "representative" as possible (i.e. as I can make it).

I just thought that polls like this would be anonymous unless clearly stated otherwise.

Summa summarum: I don't vote.

Strictly yours,...
See more
There's no "problem" with this poll, but other polls have addressed more sensitive issues.

If there's a poll, I'll either give an honest answer or no answer. That's how I tick.

And sometimes I'd like to vote so that the result is as "representative" as possible (i.e. as I can make it).

I just thought that polls like this would be anonymous unless clearly stated otherwise.

Summa summarum: I don't vote.

Strictly yours,
Cilian
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
It's also why I don't vote Jul 27, 2007

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Cilian

I never vote-always suspected that votes were visible higher up the chain. How anonymous can we be to those with full access to the tracking system?
Anyway, the poll discussions are often fun to read.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
And now for the next poll (drum roll) Jul 27, 2007

Did you or did you not vote in the poll on polls?

Yes
No
Other
N/A

P.A.S.

Wil Hardman (X)
Wil Hardman (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Beware- inane polls and the vote police! Jul 27, 2007

Depends on the poll in question.... I normally vote and occasionaly post- although this poll certainly didnt warrant a forum post.

By the way, I voted the other week on a poll and the FBI did a dawn raid on my house....

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
About paranoia... Jul 27, 2007

Wil Hardman wrote:

By the way, I voted the other week on a poll and the FBI did a dawn raid on my house....

Good point, Wil, LOL!

But seriously, now, I believe participating in/surfing the Internet in any way (passively or actively) is already a way of "exposing" yourself a bit, because, AFAIK, there are quite a few technical ways (for example, merely through your IP number) by which your general activity in the net can be traced, whether you are aware of it or not.

So I really don't see any added "danger" in responding (anonymously or not) to a quick poll.

But I guess there is a certain basis to be paranoid: with all this increasingly sophisticated technology, we're definitely living in times of panic of Big Brother...

Best,

Ivette

P.S.: Pundora, I did find the question of this poll alright. As you see, it even inspired some to talk about their paranoia, so it was almost a bit of a therapy mini-session...

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:53
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Served its purpose Jul 27, 2007

Well, I actually (for once) clicked on the 'discussion' link and got here, instead of just rushing back to work or Kudoz or something more interesting after I had looked at the poll statistics.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When you check the quick poll you:

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »