Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 14:53
SITE STAFF
Jul 27, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement:".

This poll was originally submitted by María Teresa Jones Acebal

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other Jul 27, 2007

Why? Because I sign it and... period. No feelings whatsoever.

Au

megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other too Jul 27, 2007

Same as Au... Why feel anything?

My General Conditions attached to any quote and contract also include non-disclosure conditions and I don't expect them to "feel" anything. Just agree on them and stick to them

Ruth @ MW

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometimes it's more than an NDA... Jul 27, 2007

...and contains clauses on responsibilities, transfer of responsibility in case something goes really wrong and someone suffers damages using the product, etc. And that is the part that provokes some feelings!

Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:53
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
why the emotional reaction? Jul 27, 2007

I did have a long discussion with one client because my husband works in a similar field, so I consult with him on vocabulary and mathematical formulae. We worked out the boundaries of what non-disclosure meant in that case.

Otherwise, my father worked for a defense contractor. He built planes. I never knew more than that growing up, nor did I need to.
My daughter knows I translate technical documents. She's fine with a vague genre description: a patent, an operating manual, a contract.

Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
I'd be curious to hear Jul 27, 2007

I'd be curious to hear from those who chose that they feel uneasy after signing an NDA: why?

I'd also be curious to hear from those who refuse to sign them altogether: why? And do you not loose clients?

Like others, I experience no particular emotion when signing NDAs (ok, I admit that the first few times I sort of felt special and anticipated--usually in vain--the juicy details of some great scandal or scoop, but now I'm fairly blasé about the whole thing and usually just read them and sign when asked).

Best,
Jocelyne

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Like any other contract... Jul 27, 2007

If the terms are acceptable, I sign it. If they're not, I don't.

Usually I don't object to straightforward non-disclosure agreements. However, some agreements that agencies send me have unacceptably broad wording in the liability section or the non-compete section.

[Edited at 2007-07-27 14:53]

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Sign it and feel safe Jul 27, 2007

Yes of course, like others, I don't actually feel any emotions at all, but I take the question to mean feeling comfortable about signing it, which I do.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Depends on what it says Jul 27, 2007

I will sign an innocent one, that says something along the lines of "I promise to keep everything a secret", and that is the end of the matter.

What I will not sign - and have been asked to sign once (but refused) - is one of those German-style ones (some lawyers that I translate for produce them for some unfortunate so-and-sos to sign on quite a regular basis) stating that if I inadvertently disclose one word too much (which could theoretically happen when asking a Kudoz question) I will be liable to pay e.g. EUR 20,000 or else go to prison. No, I will not sign those things. Who would?

What I actually find curious is those customers who wish me to swear confidentiality concerning a document they send me to translate which can actually be downloaded from the Internet.

Astrid

María Teresa Jones Acebal  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Exactly my point Jul 27, 2007

I was curious about feelings, yes, because those contracts make me feel safe as long as they deal with confidentiality issues and whatever clause that may be attached to it does not engage one into doing "the impossible".
In my experience, I have been asked to sign contracts of that sort, and believe me, I have felt uneasy about them.

Thank you all for your participation.

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Confidential translations of public documents Jul 27, 2007

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:
What I actually find curious is those customers who wish me to swear confidentiality concerning a document they send me to translate which can actually be downloaded from the Internet.

Astrid

What's confidential in that case isn't the information in the document but rather the fact that it's being translated, and who requested the translation.

This could reveal that a particular company is planning to expand its business into a different geographic region or a different industry, or is planning to sue another company, etc.

[Edited at 2007-07-27 16:26]

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
No written agreements Jul 27, 2007

My clients give me confidential work of all kinds with no written agreements.

I guess they trust me. Their trust is not misplaced, and their material is always under my exclusive control with good security.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Part of professional ethics Jul 27, 2007

Confidentiality/non-disclosure is part of the code of ethics of any translators' organization. I have no problem signing them.

Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Spanish to English
+ ...
An ethical issue Jul 28, 2007

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Confidentiality/non-disclosure is part of the code of ethics of any translators' organization. I have no problem signing them.

There should be no problem signing NDAs. Any occupation has a code of ethics that must be complied with. In addition, the Costa Rican Act on Official Translations and Interpretations expressly provides for such confidentiality.

In my quotes I refer to said clause of the law and offer to sign an NDA.

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sign if acceptable Jul 28, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:

If the terms are acceptable, I sign it. If they're not, I don't.

Usually I don't object to straightforward non-disclosure agreements. However, some agreements that agencies send me have unacceptably broad wording in the liability section or the non-compete section.

[Edited at 2007-07-27 14:53]

I completely agree!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement:

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs