Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: My KudoZ answering activity is:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 30, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "My KudoZ answering activity is:".

This poll was originally submitted by Ryan Montcalm

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "My KudoZ answering activity is:".

This poll was originally submitted by Ryan Montcalm

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:59
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
On a regular basis Jul 30, 2007

I think what's really bonkers is that at times I spend more time answering and helping out with other translator's questions than doing my own research - but I'm not addicted or anything, honest!

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:59
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
My KudoZ experience Jul 30, 2007

Once upon a time, there was a PC on my desk...
One day I typed "Translations" and yahooed... on the first place appeared ProZ.com - What's this? Let's see...
I registered and started doing things, i.e. answering KudoZ and something else... but KudoZ became a sort of addiction for the first 6 months or so.
At the same time, new jobs started to appear (my first translation projects for clients far, far away from me, and very long ones too...), so I had to re-assign times.
<
... See more
Once upon a time, there was a PC on my desk...
One day I typed "Translations" and yahooed... on the first place appeared ProZ.com - What's this? Let's see...
I registered and started doing things, i.e. answering KudoZ and something else... but KudoZ became a sort of addiction for the first 6 months or so.
At the same time, new jobs started to appear (my first translation projects for clients far, far away from me, and very long ones too...), so I had to re-assign times.

Then came a period of "decantation": ask more, answer not too much... but the addiction went on somehow.

KudoZ are a core help in my translation activity. Even more than forums!

KudoZ are part of my daily life, just as emails, phone calls, Skype, chat, CAT tools, and of course going to the groceries and going with my wife to pick up our daughter from school
Collapse

ineveryl
ineveryl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:59
French to English
Not any more Jul 30, 2007

I used to look at Kudoz quite frequently, but after getting my head bitten off by other users several times in a row, I decided to quit. I have better things to do than to read nasty comments when I'm trying to help people or get help. Users getting defensive and rude has made it where Kudoz is now a last resort for me.

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
Local time: 21:59
German to French
+ ...
Not any more Jul 30, 2007

I used to help whenever I could, without never becoming an addict.

In the meanwhile, I have less time than a couple of years ago, and I prefer to help people without that idea of competition which often spoil everything. Yes, I now prefer to help where mutual help is for free.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The option "Randomly" is missing Jul 30, 2007

and this is how I do that - randomly, when I feel like answering or find an interesting question. Not on regular basis anymore.

Jerzy

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Randomly... Jul 30, 2007

is a great answer. I am often too busy to look at kudoz for several days, or to check the mail address that I dedicate to proz issues. Nowadays, I tend to answer kudoz less often than a year or so ago when I started, although every time I log on for any reason, I always look at the kudoz queries first. I like helping out and the point scoring makes it more fun - I'm almost at my personal target score of 2000 !
I'd also like to say to Terena that just because she got some snitty replies fro
... See more
is a great answer. I am often too busy to look at kudoz for several days, or to check the mail address that I dedicate to proz issues. Nowadays, I tend to answer kudoz less often than a year or so ago when I started, although every time I log on for any reason, I always look at the kudoz queries first. I like helping out and the point scoring makes it more fun - I'm almost at my personal target score of 2000 !
I'd also like to say to Terena that just because she got some snitty replies from other users, she shouldn't give up the ghost. I often get irritated when the answers suggested are obviously incorrect or inappropriate, or offered by someone (non-native) with less than adequate English or knowledge of the subject, and have been guilty on occasion of making some kind of comment to that effect, but always try to be friendly or humorous. There are some really crabby cases out there though, I particlularly remember one guy whose sneering put-down in response to one of my suggestions made me vow never to help him out if he ever turned up with a query himself. As they never said in ancient Rome, Illegitimi non carborundum!!
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Other: Occasionally Jul 30, 2007

Whenever there is something I feel I can help with

Roberta

Sara Noss
Sara Noss  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:59
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Intermittently Jul 30, 2007

Though I probably check into proZ on a daily basis, if only for 2 minutes at times, my answers appear on a fairly erratic basis. If I manage to respond to 6 questions per month that constitutes frenetic activity for me. ;o)

Cheers!

Sara

abufaraz
abufaraz
Pakistan
Local time: 00:59
English to Urdu
+ ...
Questions are very rare !! Jul 30, 2007

I , like many others, am always anxious to help the askers by answering the questions, thereby increasing my knowledge if I am wrong, but what to do when the fellows ask the questions very rarely in my language pair? It is not daily, weekly but after months you can say. !!!

Regards,

Luis Zepeda
Luis Zepeda
United States
Local time: 12:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Most infrequently Jul 30, 2007

Not regularly now.
Several reasons are the cause, but the two which come to mind most readily are:
a. It appears a lot of questions come from people who are doing translation which are beyond their professional capabilities, and
b. Frequently when you answer, there is no lack of people who are ready to criticize your answer or cut you down without providing constructive feed back.

So, my answer would be that I restrict my answering activity to questions of whic
... See more
Not regularly now.
Several reasons are the cause, but the two which come to mind most readily are:
a. It appears a lot of questions come from people who are doing translation which are beyond their professional capabilities, and
b. Frequently when you answer, there is no lack of people who are ready to criticize your answer or cut you down without providing constructive feed back.

So, my answer would be that I restrict my answering activity to questions of which I am sure, and even these I have to think about doing it.
Collapse

Marisol Sahagun
Marisol Sahagun
Local time: 13:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
For 5 months daily Jul 30, 2007

But I am getting tired. Although it is a good tool to learn, and to help other translators; I was not only hoping to learn more but to get some "publicity".

Until now, I have not get what I was hoping to.

Anabel Granados
Anabel Granados  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:59
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Around once a month Jul 31, 2007

I use Kudoz as a way to keep my brain working in translation mode. Since I am not a full-time translator, I go through patches of slow periods. During those periods, I try to look at Kudoz as a way to continue using my translation brain. I will admit that at first I was intimidated when people made rude remarks about my answers, but I quickly realized that many of them were just out to get points, and not to help out. I rarely go back and forth with another answerer. Ultimately, it is up to... See more
I use Kudoz as a way to keep my brain working in translation mode. Since I am not a full-time translator, I go through patches of slow periods. During those periods, I try to look at Kudoz as a way to continue using my translation brain. I will admit that at first I was intimidated when people made rude remarks about my answers, but I quickly realized that many of them were just out to get points, and not to help out. I rarely go back and forth with another answerer. Ultimately, it is up to the asker whether they use my suggestion. In the end, that's all it is, a suggestion. I frequently use Kudoz answers as a way to check my own work. I think it is a valuable tool, and will continue to participate in it, both as an asker, and as an answerer.

:0)
Collapse

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:59
English to French
+ ...
Randomly too Jul 31, 2007

neilmac wrote:
I often get irritated when the answers suggested are obviously incorrect or inappropriate, or offered by someone (non-native) with less than adequate English or knowledge of the subject,

Well, I sometimes like it when a non-native in the target language answers my question, because there are colloquial terms or expressions that I'm not sure how to translate, and the only answer that makes sense is the one from the person whose native language is the source language of the question I asked... Because he/she knows what the meaning is (but as I first said, "sometimes").

True, I used to spend quite a while answering KudoZ, but that led me to get some more, and then more and more work, and now there's hardly any time for that...

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Right place, right time Jul 31, 2007

I tend to be more of a browniz man myself, so my Kudoz answering activity has been more a question of being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right answer.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My KudoZ answering activity is:

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »