Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Which antivirus software do you find best?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Julio Amago
Julio Amago  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
NOD32 forever Aug 2, 2007

I have tried many different antivirus programs, and this is the best of the best. It detects as many if not more than its bigger, clumsier cousins Norton and McAffee, but it uses up very little resources in your computer, leaving it free for what you really want to do on it, which is WORK!
The big all-in-one packages such as Norton and McAffee install so much stuff and have so many submodules running at once that they really slow down your machine, affecting your productivity. This may als
... See more
I have tried many different antivirus programs, and this is the best of the best. It detects as many if not more than its bigger, clumsier cousins Norton and McAffee, but it uses up very little resources in your computer, leaving it free for what you really want to do on it, which is WORK!
The big all-in-one packages such as Norton and McAffee install so much stuff and have so many submodules running at once that they really slow down your machine, affecting your productivity. This may also lead to more crashes.
So if you haven't tried NOD32 yet, download a trial version and try it for yourself!
Collapse

P Waters
P Waters  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Tagalog
+ ...
AVG Aug 2, 2007

Free and very good

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Other Aug 2, 2007

We use AVK which combines the Kaspersky and BitDefender engines. We were almost ready to give up on AVK with the 2006 version that had a lot of problems, but the 2007 version works just the way it should. And it is voted best Anti-Virus software in all the PC magazine reviews almost every single year.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
F-Secure Aug 2, 2007

a way better than Norton.
I've used Norton before, but it got far to heavy.

Jerzy

Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:37
English to Greek
+ ...
AVG 7.5 Aug 2, 2007

The Professional Edition.
I had Avast Free Edition for about 2 years but I recently had a serious problem with a virus. I don't trust "free" versions anymore...
I had also bought Norton, which I didn't like either due to its consequences: slow PC and almost impossible to clean your system from it if you want to uninstall it.

Dimitra

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Problems with so many Aug 2, 2007

And my current one (Panda) is up for renewal v shortly, so this poll is very timely for me! TIA for all the information you are passing on to me at such an appropriate moment.

Gabor Kun
Gabor Kun  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
Other Aug 2, 2007

A recipe for WinXP SP2, however it does not ensure full security:

0. Start with a clean XP.
1. Use a well-configured firewall.
2. Uninstall Internet Explorer completely. (It's a weak point of your system.) Install a reliable browser instead.

[For experts, against malware that use the IE folder to attack:
3. Install the latest .NET Framework first, because it requires the access to the Internet Explorer folder. Restart in safe mode, and log in as Admini
... See more
A recipe for WinXP SP2, however it does not ensure full security:

0. Start with a clean XP.
1. Use a well-configured firewall.
2. Uninstall Internet Explorer completely. (It's a weak point of your system.) Install a reliable browser instead.

[For experts, against malware that use the IE folder to attack:
3. Install the latest .NET Framework first, because it requires the access to the Internet Explorer folder. Restart in safe mode, and log in as Administrator. You may empty the "\Program Files\Internet Explorer" folder. Remove all rights (read, write, etc.) for everyone to this folder. (This is what you can do only in safe mode, as Administrator.) Then restart in normal mode.]

4. Never run software applications or macros that may contain malware. Be aware of junk e-mails with misleading attachments or links.

---

Note: There are viruses that use the autorun capability of CDs or even pendrives.
Collapse

ttagir
ttagir  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:37
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
KASPERSKY. PERIOD Aug 2, 2007

Cause it is MOST professional (recall our site's name:)) and MOST reliable.
As for proper Eugenij Kaspersky - the "guru" of this brilliant company (Kaspersky Lab), he (and Co) could get much more than all other producers. But their main objective is not pur profit.
As the real investigator and researcher, "Kasper" runs the hourly renewed encyclo of viruses. They work "24/7/12/365".
For your knowledge: somebody knows, for example, that in 2006 Kaspersky created WORKING antiv
... See more
Cause it is MOST professional (recall our site's name:)) and MOST reliable.
As for proper Eugenij Kaspersky - the "guru" of this brilliant company (Kaspersky Lab), he (and Co) could get much more than all other producers. But their main objective is not pur profit.
As the real investigator and researcher, "Kasper" runs the hourly renewed encyclo of viruses. They work "24/7/12/365".
For your knowledge: somebody knows, for example, that in 2006 Kaspersky created WORKING antivirus for mobiles and smarts? I also had pleasure to translate some docs for them (knowing thus their ideology) and simply MUST say: they are great and there are nobody above them.
Some opinions obviously follow from, say, rather not too deep knowledge of the issue.:) Would you like to have Kasper (increadibly cheap and the top world champion in the quality/price ratio), write me personal.
It works with OS other than MS' as well.
Please note that I analyzed all products mentioned in the list and is well acquainted with the question.
...Certainly, there are at least two absolutely best products in the software world in respective categories: Kaspersky Antivirus and FineReader (OCR, also from Russia). Funny, but both are close to us, translators who "intimately" use our PCs in our work.
Sorry for those rather autoritative words, but my history in software is too long and I would not use my knowledge in vane.:)
Yours,
T.

[Редактировалось 2007-08-02 18:35]
Collapse

Frédérique Jouannet
Frédérique Jouannet
Member (2006)
Italian to French
+ ...
AVG & CO Aug 2, 2007

I use the AVG (free) + Spybot + AD aware.
Until now, no problems.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:37
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
AVG! Aug 2, 2007

Free edition! Since I have it, I've forgotten what a virus is!

Regards

Clarisa

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:37
English to French
+ ...
Same here... Aug 2, 2007

Hester Eymers wrote:

My provider keeps me safe from viruses, while the router has a built-in fire wall (which doesn't even work properly when you're also running antivirus software).
And using a Mac you are hardly bothered by any viruses at all.

Best regards,
Hester

I have never even met a virus at all, in about 15 years (computer wise)

Mariana Reinoso
Mariana Reinoso  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
AVG Aug 2, 2007

The free version. And works great!

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
AVG... and a question for you all Aug 2, 2007

We use AVG 7.5 free edition and no problem so far.

Our computer guy suggested me time ago that I could not use any antivirus at all, use a good firewall (which we already have, "built in" in a Linksys router, and configure the e-mail client to avoid previewing the messages automatically.

Even though I trust him, I'd like to know if anybody heard such advise and the results of it.

Thanks!

Andrés

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:37
English to French
+ ...
I am very happy with McAfee Aug 2, 2007

I am generally very satisfied with McAfee and have never had a virus since I've been using Security Center. It does a whole bunch of things for me other than just checking viruses, and everything is very easy to oversee. I had Norton before - what a joke! That one was having trouble even communicating with the user - and was unable to detect a bunch of things that were very easy to detect, despite regular updates.

I voted "I don't know" because I know too few antivirus packages to s
... See more
I am generally very satisfied with McAfee and have never had a virus since I've been using Security Center. It does a whole bunch of things for me other than just checking viruses, and everything is very easy to oversee. I had Norton before - what a joke! That one was having trouble even communicating with the user - and was unable to detect a bunch of things that were very easy to detect, despite regular updates.

I voted "I don't know" because I know too few antivirus packages to say this and this one is the best - I can't compare with things I don't know. But I am extremely happy with McAfee on a work computer, I have complete peace of mind.

[Edited at 2007-08-02 23:27]
Collapse

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:37
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not necessary with Linux Aug 3, 2007

I use Linux.
I don´t have problems with viruses, adware, spyware, malware, crashes, security breaches...or expensive licenses.
Linux rocks.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which antivirus software do you find best?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »