Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Which antivirus software do you find best?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 2, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which antivirus software do you find best?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 08:40
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
AVG Aug 2, 2007

It's great and it's free!

Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
I don’t know Aug 2, 2007

As regards safety, I may say Norton is the best, but as it’s not lightweight it is difficult to work with it. I am just trying NOD32, but I my machine has been infected with one virus… so I will have to go on trying or wait and see what other colleagues think.

[Edited at 2007-08-02 14:02]

[Edited at 2007-08-02 15:38]

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Antivirus is a must Aug 2, 2007

I've used Norton, McAfee and Panda. They have all worked fine.

What I really wanted to say was that I find it hard to believe that any translator or any person whose livelihood depends on their computer wouldn't have an antivirus installed and running. The damage a virus can cause could be incalculable for a freelancer!!

nikia
nikia  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:40
Persian (Farsi) to English
Norton Aug 2, 2007

I'd heard great things about Kaspersky, but it made my computer go crazy. It really slowed down my computer and really messed with a whole bunch of other software.

I finally had to go back to Norton, which rarely--if ever--causes any problems.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Absolutely Aug 2, 2007

Rafa Lombardino wrote:

Over recent years there have been so many forum discussions about this and so many people have spoken up in favour of AVG. Yet it's not even listed in the poll!

Quick and user-friendly, does not slow down your resources like Norton and if you were to uninstall it, then whoosh - there it isn't - unlike Norton. You might think have you uninstalled Norton, but there is still a hell of a lot of forensic work and careful vacuum cleaning to be done on your registry before you have a clean bill of health.

Apart from that, the service function means you get to talk to real people, unlike the robots at Symantec that tell you to go here, read this, do that etc. etc.

It would be ill-mannered to say that Norton sucks. I just think that it's an alien conspiracy.

Chris

[Edited at 2007-08-02 14:40]

Ma. Fernanda Blesa
Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:40
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
kaspersky all the way Aug 2, 2007

it's not that expensive, it doesn't use every single resource of the PC like Norton does, experts rate it at no. 1 or No. 2, and its support service is excellent, they actually understand what you are asking and what your problem is and work to solve that. And as a plus if you live in Argentina, we have a support center in Buenos Aires, so you can either send an e-mail (which gets answered within 24 hours personally to *you*, no standard, useless responses like Norton sends) or phone in and talk... See more
it's not that expensive, it doesn't use every single resource of the PC like Norton does, experts rate it at no. 1 or No. 2, and its support service is excellent, they actually understand what you are asking and what your problem is and work to solve that. And as a plus if you live in Argentina, we have a support center in Buenos Aires, so you can either send an e-mail (which gets answered within 24 hours personally to *you*, no standard, useless responses like Norton sends) or phone in and talk directly to someone.Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
BitDefender Aug 2, 2007

I don't really find it best since I have not tested all products save Norton and McAfee, but better than them.
Not greedy on resources, silent updates several times a day, does the job for cheap (about 50EUR to buy and 30EUR for a 2-year virus signature subscription).
It gets sometimes false positives (mainly with AIT products), but nothing alarming.
Philippe

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Avast! and Clamwin Aug 2, 2007

I like both of these free programs better than AVG. Regular updates, and especially Avast! catches every virus.

I took Norton and McAfee off my computers because they were too complicated and interfered with some of my programs.

Amy

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Avast Aug 2, 2007

Very nice Czech invention.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
AVG too Aug 2, 2007

Rafa Lombardino wrote:

I use AVG too. I installed it several years ago and (touch wood) have never had any virus problems since. It updates itself every day.
Yes, I'm amazed too that any translator would risk not having some virus protection installed.
Regards,
Jenny.

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

English to Spanish
+ ...
I have tried so many... Aug 2, 2007

I have tried Avast, Norton, BitDefender, AVG and last but not least NOD32. This one has discovered many viruses, so I must say it helped me a lot to protect my PC very well. I know that Norton is good, but, in my case, it slowed down my computer so much that I had to uninstall it.

Bye!
Fernando

Maya Gorgoshidze
Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 19:40
Member (2004)
English to Georgian
+ ...

AVG Aug 2, 2007

It has a free version as well. I like it very much.

Hester Eymers
Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other... Aug 2, 2007

My provider keeps me safe from viruses, while the router has a built-in fire wall (which doesn't even work properly when you're also running antivirus software).
And using a Mac you are hardly bothered by any viruses at all.

Best regards,
Hester

Anne Goff
Anne Goff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:40
French to English
+ ...
Kaspersky Aug 2, 2007

Anti-virus and Anti-hacker- great programs. I've never had any problems with it and I love the customization options.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which antivirus software do you find best?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »