Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Which internet browser do you use most often?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Marie Halvorsen
Marie Halvorsen
United States
Local time: 18:47
English to Danish
New to FireFox Aug 9, 2007

A few weeks ago, my IE started to crash constantly for no apparent reason. I had the latest version and even downloaded it again, but it still would not work for more than a few minutes at a time.

So I downloaded FF and I love it. No problems anymore.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:47
English to Polish
Firefox Aug 9, 2007

...and Opera occasionally.

I don't even have IE, but even if I would - I wouldn't use it even if they pay me Too unsecure and too limited in options.
Too many "even", I know

Anni

Mara Ballarini
Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:47
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
IE, but... Aug 9, 2007

sorry for my limited knowledge, but I had never thought of changing browser, nor of the reasons for doing it or how to do it. However, after having read a few comments from the colleagues and having found that firefox is downloadable for free, I'd like to try it. Do you reckon the new Mozilla Firefox is what I should go for?
Thank you everybody for all the good tips anyway!!!
Mara

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:47
English to French
+ ...
SlimBrowser Aug 9, 2007

It is awesome at filtering popups and it has a nice feature where you can group bookmarks to different sites and you can then open the group of bookmarks with one click. Being a tabbed browser, this is great for when you want to open the gazillion dictionary and translation-related sites you use while translating. It also has an auto-login feature that stores login info and when you visit sites you added to you logon list, it automatically logs you in, without even needing a cookie. So, you can ... See more
It is awesome at filtering popups and it has a nice feature where you can group bookmarks to different sites and you can then open the group of bookmarks with one click. Being a tabbed browser, this is great for when you want to open the gazillion dictionary and translation-related sites you use while translating. It also has an auto-login feature that stores login info and when you visit sites you added to you logon list, it automatically logs you in, without even needing a cookie. So, you can safely delete all of your cookies but you will still automatically login where you need to.Collapse

IE simply because ...... Aug 10, 2007

I tried Firefox simply because I was influenced by someone who hate IE.
Lo, it turned out this stuff is a lousy partner for those who needs Asian language (in my case, Japanese, but then on what occassions and how, I wouldn't dare to recall).

Therefore, so far I am happy with IE, unless there has been a great improvement in Firefox into this area since.

BTW, I never heard about all other that are mentioned.

Natalia Zudaire
Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:47
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try IE Tab Aug 10, 2007

Fernando Walker wrote:

The problem with Firefox is that sometimes can not load certain elements of web pages.

Fer:
Try adding the IE Tab Extension. Just go to http://ietab.mozdev.org/ and once you have installed it, you can right click on "Mostrar la página con IE Tab" and it shows you the webpage with an IE embedded on your Firefox.

I am a big Firefox fan, and I run the following extensions: IE Tab, of course, FireFTP, PDFDownload, DownloadThemAll, AdBlock Plus, FoxClocks, FoxMarks, URL link, GMail Manager, Image Zoom, and Fast Video Download.

Natalia

Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:47
German to English
+ ...
Firefox and IE - security? Aug 10, 2007

I switched from IE to Firefox for a while, just to see what the hype was about. The option of keeping several tabs open in one window is very nice. However, I have some questions about security. The assumption seems to be that Firefox is safer. I read otherwise when I researched both, but that was a while ago and I have no idea where I read it... This link
http://www.smokinggun.de/?p=152
has
... See more
I switched from IE to Firefox for a while, just to see what the hype was about. The option of keeping several tabs open in one window is very nice. However, I have some questions about security. The assumption seems to be that Firefox is safer. I read otherwise when I researched both, but that was a while ago and I have no idea where I read it... This link
http://www.smokinggun.de/?p=152
has an interesting comment about security (see the highlighted gray box - that part is in English). I also use Norton Security which has a fraud protection feature linked to IE. I wonder how the security level compares now. For now, I keep using IE for anything that requires a higher level of security.
Collapse

zkt
zkt  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 01:47
English to Arabic
+ ...
Opera Aug 10, 2007

Hello Everybody,

Aren't there any Opera addict here?

I just love its features for surfing combinig also a mail program

I am curious by nature so sometimes while surfing I come across something interesting whether a quotation a definition or anything I can keep a note in conjunction with a Web site to refer to later.
You can save browsing sessions for later reviewing
plus if you accidentally close a tab you can retrieve it from the trash can and
... See more
Hello Everybody,

Aren't there any Opera addict here?

I just love its features for surfing combinig also a mail program

I am curious by nature so sometimes while surfing I come across something interesting whether a quotation a definition or anything I can keep a note in conjunction with a Web site to refer to later.
You can save browsing sessions for later reviewing
plus if you accidentally close a tab you can retrieve it from the trash can and many other things

Zeina

[Edited at 2007-08-10 07:23]
Collapse

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 01:47
English to Greek
+ ...
I use FF on my PC... Aug 10, 2007

...and Safari on my Mac. I find both quicker and safer to use, although there are one or two websites that will only operate properly through IE (worse luck...). I have a gmail account for email, so I do not use Outlook or Thunderbird.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
FF fan Aug 10, 2007

I found IE 7 to be a complete pain in the neck. Its safety features were more of a nightmare than a help. I am now a convinced FF fan.

[Editado a las 2007-08-10 08:55]

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
Opera and Mozilla Aug 10, 2007

Hello everybody,

As I was working as an employee, we were not allow to use IE for safety reasons, so I got used to browse with Mozilla suite.
In the meanwhile, I prefer surfing with Opera as it is faster, but I still use Mozilla regularly for the pages which Opera can not open, and I mail with Thunderbird only.

LinguaLab.net
LinguaLab.net
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:47
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Opera Aug 10, 2007

I mainly use Opera - like everything else from Norway, it's brilliant!

I love their new speed dial feature, and how it remembers which pages you had open last time you were online - it saves a LOT of time!

[Edited at 2007-08-10 10:39]

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 20:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Natalia! I appreciate your help!!! Aug 10, 2007

Natalia Zudaire wrote:

Fernando Walker wrote:

The problem with Firefox is that sometimes can not load certain elements of web pages.

Fer:
Try adding the IE Tab Extension. Just go to http://ietab.mozdev.org/ and once you have installed it, you can right click on "Mostrar la página con IE Tab" and it shows you the webpage with an IE embedded on your Firefox.

I am a big Firefox fan, and I run the following extensions: IE Tab, of course, FireFTP, PDFDownload, DownloadThemAll, AdBlock Plus, FoxClocks, FoxMarks, URL link, GMail Manager, Image Zoom, and Fast Video Download.

Natalia

I like Firefox very much but I did not use it because of that. Now, I have the solution. Thank you!
Fernando

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 10:47
Japanese to English
No problem with FF and Asian fonts Aug 10, 2007

Susan Koyama-Steele wrote:

Lo, it turned out this stuff is a lousy partner for those who needs Asian language (in my case, Japanese, but then on what occassions and how, I wouldn't dare to recall).

Firefox works just fine with Japanese. You don't mention how long ago you tried, but I have been using FF for several years now and have never had a problem in this regard.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Firefox and Opera Aug 11, 2007

I used to use Opera (and loved it for its speed and handling - the mouse gestures feature is great), but due to the continuing incompatibility issues with various web sites, I'm switching over to Firefox.

I've been using FF for quite a while now, with the AdBlock Plus, IETabs, MouseGestures and TabMixPlus addons. And it feels almost like Opera now - I think I'll stay with FF for good.

And Internet Explorer...well, don't get me started on that. ... See more
I used to use Opera (and loved it for its speed and handling - the mouse gestures feature is great), but due to the continuing incompatibility issues with various web sites, I'm switching over to Firefox.

I've been using FF for quite a while now, with the AdBlock Plus, IETabs, MouseGestures and TabMixPlus addons. And it feels almost like Opera now - I think I'll stay with FF for good.

And Internet Explorer...well, don't get me started on that.

B
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which internet browser do you use most often?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »