Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Which internet browser do you use most often?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 9, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which internet browser do you use most often?".

This poll was originally submitted by Hester Eymers

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more informatio
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which internet browser do you use most often?".

This poll was originally submitted by Hester Eymers

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:36
English to Spanish
Only because I´m too lazy to move all the bookmarks! Aug 9, 2007

Working with a particular agency, I realised that Explorer was an absolute nuisance whenever I tried to download the files to translate from an FTP server site.

I couldn´t believe that access problems, slow download activity etc could be fixed by simply choosing Firefox instead.

However, I have so many bookmarks in Explorer and so very little patience when it comes to moving to something new, that I keep on using Explorer.

Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Internet Explorer Aug 9, 2007

I don’t know whether it is the best, but I got used to it. In fact, I have never tried another one!

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 20:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Internet Explorer, but... Aug 9, 2007

I use Internet Explorer but I am trying to replace it for Firefox because it is safer. The problem with Firefox is that sometimes can not load certain elements of web pages. Is Bill Gates´ company being monopolistic? I do not think so...

Have a nice day!
Fernando

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:36
Russian to English
+ ...
you can import IE bookmarks into Firefox Aug 9, 2007

Elena Robles Sanjuan wrote:

Working with a particular agency, I realised that Explorer was an absolute nuisance whenever I tried to download the files to translate from an FTP server site.

I couldn´t believe that access problems, slow download activity etc could be fixed by simply choosing Firefox instead.

However, I have so many bookmarks in Explorer and so very little patience when it comes to moving to something new, that I keep on using Explorer.

Hi Elena,

There is a solution to your problem - you can import IE bookmarks. See here - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_bookmarks

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Thank you very much for the tip! Aug 9, 2007

Konstantin Kisin wrote:

Hi Elena,

There is a solution to your problem - you can import IE bookmarks. See here - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_bookmarks

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Konstantin! Aug 9, 2007

Konstantin Kisin wrote:

Hi Elena,

I also didn´t know how to do it. Good information!
Regards,
Fernando

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
FF Aug 9, 2007

Although I use also IE and Opera when I write Websites, and also IE from time to time when there's something I can't do with IE.

About FTP, I had times when I could not access a ftp with IE, only with FF, and times when I could not access it with FF, only with IE.
So I think it's good to have at leat 2 browsers installed on a machine, you always have more choice and possibilities.
By the way, if you experience problems with ftp and you don't want to use another browser,
... See more
Although I use also IE and Opera when I write Websites, and also IE from time to time when there's something I can't do with IE.

About FTP, I had times when I could not access a ftp with IE, only with FF, and times when I could not access it with FF, only with IE.
So I think it's good to have at leat 2 browsers installed on a machine, you always have more choice and possibilities.
By the way, if you experience problems with ftp and you don't want to use another browser, you could also use a ftp client. I use one to upload thing into the Internet, but I think it works the other way round.

@ Elena: yes, importing and exporting bookmarks is super quick, only a few seconds so you should not feel prevented just because of that.

@ Fernando: I'm not sure whether FF is the reason why you could not charge some elements in a webpage. There are some sites that are not FF compatible, but 1) they are becoming very rare now 2) when they are not compatible, they will mostly not display at all, and not only a few elements will not display.
So I think if you had such issues, it might be for example because you did not install the plugin for flash elements, which prevents you from displaying flash elements. Or because some elements are too heavy and can not be displayed at once (you then need to reload the page, but I think that just the same happens with IE)
Collapse

Pro-Trans
Pro-Trans
France
English to French
+ ...
While translating, I use Firefox Aug 9, 2007

I always use firefox, it is really faster than IE and I find it more user friendly.
Moreover, it is very convenient to download files from ftp servers.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The bookmark problem turned me off to Firefox Aug 9, 2007

I used Firefox for quite awhile, but when I lost all my bookmarks, that was it for me. Also I found the bookmarks very complicated to manage in Firefox. I think when you upgrade, Firefox should give you some kind of warning about the bookmarks, or they should simply resolve the problem and have them show up in the upgrade.

In addition to that, certain sites here in Brazil are not compatible with Firefox, especially those where you have to fill in some form - parts of the form would
... See more
I used Firefox for quite awhile, but when I lost all my bookmarks, that was it for me. Also I found the bookmarks very complicated to manage in Firefox. I think when you upgrade, Firefox should give you some kind of warning about the bookmarks, or they should simply resolve the problem and have them show up in the upgrade.

In addition to that, certain sites here in Brazil are not compatible with Firefox, especially those where you have to fill in some form - parts of the form would not appear, etc., and I would have to resort to IE for them.

So, I ended up going back to IE and haven't had any more problems.

Amy

[Edited at 2007-08-09 18:46]
Collapse

Anne Goff
Anne Goff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:36
French to English
+ ...
FireFox Aug 9, 2007

So much better than IE. Safer. Faster. Friendlier. It has a lot of features that I find very translation friendly (some of which IE is now trying to catch up with).

It's true that some sites don't work with FF, but they are rapidly disappearing. You can solve this by either keeping IE on your computer or by installing the "IE tab" add-on to FF. This will allow you to open a link inside your FF window in an "IE tab".

Percy Balemans (X)
Percy Balemans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Firefox add-ons Aug 9, 2007

I use Firefox. The nice thing about it is that it has all sorts of nice add-ons you can install to add features. My bookmarks, for example, are automatically backed up online using an add-on called Foxmarks. This means that I can access them from any computer. You can also use it to use your bookmarks in Firefox on different computers: if you install the Foxmarks add-on on both computers, the bookmarks file is synchronised automatically whenever you change your bookmarks. That way, you always ha... See more
I use Firefox. The nice thing about it is that it has all sorts of nice add-ons you can install to add features. My bookmarks, for example, are automatically backed up online using an add-on called Foxmarks. This means that I can access them from any computer. You can also use it to use your bookmarks in Firefox on different computers: if you install the Foxmarks add-on on both computers, the bookmarks file is synchronised automatically whenever you change your bookmarks. That way, you always have the same set of bookmarks on each computer.

Some websites don't work properly in Firefox but there's an add-on for that as well: it's called IE tab and it allows you to view a website in Firefox as it would be shown in IE. That way, you don't have to switch browsers if a page doesn't work in Firefox.

For FTP I use a free FTP client, Filezilla (http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/), which works really well.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:06
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
IE Aug 9, 2007

I have only used IE and no other browser. I don't do very complicated things with my browser, just browse sites. The few times I have downloaded files via FTP, IE gave fairly satisfactory results.

I am a bit partial to anything Microsoft because of the excellent support they are providing for Hindi and other Indian languages.

I don't know whether other browsers have this support and have little time or energy to find out.

I am governed by habit and IE has b
... See more
I have only used IE and no other browser. I don't do very complicated things with my browser, just browse sites. The few times I have downloaded files via FTP, IE gave fairly satisfactory results.

I am a bit partial to anything Microsoft because of the excellent support they are providing for Hindi and other Indian languages.

I don't know whether other browsers have this support and have little time or energy to find out.

I am governed by habit and IE has become a habit with me.
Collapse

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Firefox Aug 9, 2007

I switched to Firefox a few years ago and I have never gone back to IE. One thing I have always found really useful is to browse by tabs so it doesn't clutter up your tool bar. Although the latest version of IE also includes this feature... but I'm not changing back!

Gabor Kun
Gabor Kun  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
English to Hungarian
tip Aug 9, 2007

Catherine Shepherd wrote:

One thing I have always found really useful is to browse by tabs so it doesn't clutter up your tool bar.

You can switch tabs in Firefox using CTRL-Tab (just like ALT-Tab to switch between app windows).

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which internet browser do you use most often?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »