Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: If you could, who would you like to have lunch with?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 03:53
SITE STAFF
Aug 11, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you could, who would you like to have lunch with?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxEmmanuelleAn  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:53
English to French
+ ...
What about artists??? Aug 11, 2007

You forgot to add famous musicians, writers, artists...Famous researchers, high class lawyer...sorry but that sounds like a boring lunch to me.

lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
Almost anyone... Aug 11, 2007

...other than those suggested. Most of us are not fame worshippers I imagine.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Family matters Aug 11, 2007

There are lots of famous and not so famous people I’d like to have lunch with.

Since this was a “What would you do if you could...” type question, I have to say if I had my druthers I’d have lunch with my whole family. I live in Spain; I have a brother who lives in California, one who lives in Ohio, a brother and sister who live in Vermont and two brothers and a sister, plus my parents, who live in North Carolina. The ten of us getting together doesn’t happen very often. If I could I’d have lunch with all of them and my brothers and sisters in law, nephews, nieces, and wife and children.

I suppose we’d need to book a table in advance!

Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:53
English to Spanish
Other… Aug 12, 2007

I agree with Emmnuelle, there is not a place for writers, musicians, artists. If the option “a writer” were included, I would choose to have dinner with García Márquez.

David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
God Aug 12, 2007

Thinking big here... if s/he would show up to have lunch with lil' ole me, we'd have a few things to discuss...

María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 06:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Save me a seat at your table, David! Aug 12, 2007

I thought of God as soon as I saw the first half of the list. I do "talk" to Him often, on a 24/7 basis. But a lunch appointment... WOW!

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Other Aug 12, 2007

Friends and family.

They are the one's close to my heart

p.s.:
And I usually have lunch with them everyday except when we are busy...

[Edited at 2007-08-12 04:23]

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Scattered family Aug 12, 2007

John Cutler wrote:

There are lots of famous and not so famous people I’d like to have lunch with.

Since this was a “What would you do if you could...” type question, I have to say if I had my druthers I’d have lunch with my whole family. I live in Spain; I have a brother who lives in California, one who lives in Ohio, a brother and sister who live in Vermont and two brothers and a sister, plus my parents, who live in North Carolina. The ten of us getting together doesn’t happen very often. If I could I’d have lunch with all of them and my brothers and sisters in law, nephews, nieces, and wife and children.

I suppose we’d need to book a table in advance!

I agree, really, John. My (somewhat smaller) family is also scattered far and wide, but we have the greatest fun on the rare occasions when we get together.
I voted for "top lawyer" because the only time I ever needed a lawyer's help the man who represented me seemed so hostile to my situation, and always took the other party's side (not to mention costing a bomb), so I'd like to discuss the (now long resolved) situation with a really top lawyer, (whose fees I couldn't possibly afford) more out of curiosity than anything. Actually, as I often translate legal texts, I don't think it would be boring to me at all - but it might be boring for the top lawyer!
I'd love to have lunch with the writer Will Self, too, or Stephen Fry, but why would they want to have lunch with me? Except, I suppose, that everyone likes a fervent fan. Heigh ho!
Regards, Jenny.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Garsia Markes no esta en la coorte de jente a la que kerria conoser" Aug 12, 2007

Luciana Lovatto wrote:

I agree with Emmnuelle, there is not a place for writers, musicians, artists. If the option “a writer” were included, I would choose to have dinner with García Márquez.

Cuando pidió que enterráramos las haches rupestres y jubiláramos la ortografía, decidí jubilarlo a él de mi biblioteca.

Pro-Trans
France
English to French
+ ...
Another translator Aug 12, 2007

I think I would feel less "on my own" some days if I could have lunch (not every day though!) with another translator who lives nearby... It is not so "exceptional" as having lunch with a famous person, it is just simple. I am sure it would be easy to implement but it never happens.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:53
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not by any stretch of the imagination Aug 12, 2007

EmmanuelleAnn wrote:

..... high class lawyer...sorry but that sounds like a boring lunch to me.

...but granted, you'd have to be on the same wavelength

I was fortunate enough in South Africa to be appointed as sole or co-liquidator/receiver of some very large liquidations/bankrupticies.

The creditors or former directors/shareholders were often represented by senior counsel (read QC for the UK) and I always enjoyed the time spent in their presence, whether in chambers, court or at lunch, even if they were on the opposing side. It was an excellent learning curve and the one aspect of legal practice I really miss.

But if I could single one out it would be my old contracts professor, senior counsel in his own right, and an absolute genius. I'd love to have lunch with him now, one of the sharpest minds I've ever been around.

[Edited at 2007-08-12 10:48]

lorette  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
My family Aug 12, 2007

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My favorite people to lunch with are Aug 12, 2007

My wife
and
my daughter.

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
considering Aug 12, 2007

Considering how may of us are choosing our families, one must wonder
why this option was not on the list.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you could, who would you like to have lunch with?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums