Mobile menu

Poll: As a freelancer, what's the longest you've been out of work?
Thread poster: Staff Staff
Local time: 11:19
Aug 16, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "As a freelancer, what's the longest you've been out of work?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see:

Direct link Reply with quote

Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:19
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
ca. 1 month Aug 16, 2007

I voted 1 month, but I don't really remember... It was way back when I was starting as a freelancer, though. These days I'm lucky if I get 1 day off...

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Busy streak Aug 16, 2007

I had a seamless transition from being a freelance English teacher to being a freelance translator. One led to the other with no noticeable break.
In 6 years, I’ve never been out of work as a translator, but teaching English was a little trickier. There was always the summer drop off and that meant filling my time with odd jobs like delivering refrigerators and washing machines (man, are they heavy!) or being a gardener (long, hot, tiring hours).
I’m keeping my fingers crossed and hoping my busy time as a translator holds up. I don’t want to have to go back to the washing machines!!

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:19
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
1 week Aug 16, 2007

No more than 1 week and they keep phoning me in Hollidays, 24 and 31 December, 1 January, 1 May....

Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:19
English to Norwegian
+ ...
gardening Aug 16, 2007

John Cutler
I don’t want to have to go back to the washing machines!!

But if you like, you can come help in my garden
I love gardening, and I am not a full time translator (yet...), but I am surprised at the amount of work I am being offered through

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:19
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
another interesting question Aug 17, 2007

Might be

What is the longest stretch that you have consistently had work (without a day off),
What is the longest day you have worked.

Recently I worked about 3 months straight with hardly a day off, putting in, on average, 12 to 15 hour days, with a couple of days that stretched into 18 hours, and at least two that continued right into the next with no sleep.

I just kept hacking away, knowing that it would not last forever.

Now, I´m experiencing another slow period, with as many as 3-4 days in a row without work.

I also know this won´t last forever, either.

Crazy business, this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Paula Durrosier[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: As a freelancer, what's the longest you've been out of work?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs