Mobile menu

Poll: As a freelancer, what's the longest you've been out of work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 18:37
SITE STAFF
Aug 16, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "As a freelancer, what's the longest you've been out of work?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Ma. Fernanda Blesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:37
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
ca. 1 month Aug 16, 2007

I voted 1 month, but I don't really remember... It was way back when I was starting as a freelancer, though. These days I'm lucky if I get 1 day off...

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Busy streak Aug 16, 2007

I had a seamless transition from being a freelance English teacher to being a freelance translator. One led to the other with no noticeable break.
In 6 years, I’ve never been out of work as a translator, but teaching English was a little trickier. There was always the summer drop off and that meant filling my time with odd jobs like delivering refrigerators and washing machines (man, are they heavy!) or being a gardener (long, hot, tiring hours).
I’m keeping my fingers crossed and hoping my busy time as a translator holds up. I don’t want to have to go back to the washing machines!!

Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:37
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
1 week Aug 16, 2007

No more than 1 week and they keep phoning me in Hollidays, 24 and 31 December, 1 January, 1 May....

Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 03:37
English to Norwegian
+ ...
gardening Aug 16, 2007

John Cutler
I don’t want to have to go back to the washing machines!!

But if you like, you can come help in my garden
I love gardening, and I am not a full time translator (yet...), but I am surprised at the amount of work I am being offered through proZ.com

Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:37
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
another interesting question Aug 17, 2007

Might be

What is the longest stretch that you have consistently had work (without a day off),
and/or
What is the longest day you have worked.

Recently I worked about 3 months straight with hardly a day off, putting in, on average, 12 to 15 hour days, with a couple of days that stretched into 18 hours, and at least two that continued right into the next with no sleep.

I just kept hacking away, knowing that it would not last forever.

Now, I´m experiencing another slow period, with as many as 3-4 days in a row without work.

I also know this won´t last forever, either.

Crazy business, this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: As a freelancer, what's the longest you've been out of work?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs