Poll: When I can't concentrate on a translation I:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 01:50
SITE STAFF
Aug 26, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When I can't concentrate on a translation I:".

This poll was originally submitted by Rebecca Hendry

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I can't go on. I'll go on. Aug 27, 2007

The reality of deadlines means that there often is not the luxury of being able to get away and do something else, so the only choice is to tough it out and do the best one can at that moment.

I would say that, even if there is that luxury, the other reality of our work is that "time is money", and any unnecessary dithering one does on some unpleasant, tedious, poorly written translation that one is saddled with (and I've done more than my own share of dithering) results in a double loss: first, because the amount earned per hour dwindles inexorably with every moment of procrastination and, secondly, because any time unnecessarily spent on one project means unavailability for other projects.

This question may have been posted on a whim but it actually cuts to the heart of the reality of our work.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
One of the things I do... Aug 27, 2007

Is posting in Quick Polls considered non-work-related?

Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 15:50
English to Indonesian
+ ...
I think I can concentrate Aug 27, 2007

Actually I forget when lastly I couldn't concentrate on a translation

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
What John says! Aug 27, 2007

I don't normally have a problem concentrating on translations, but I do need to take several short breaks when revising long translations (whether done by me or someone else).

Erm, that's why I'm here now... I voted "other" as I consider Proz as only semi-work related, at least when I come here as a break from a revision.

Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:50
French to English
+ ...
Hey Becky ;0) Aug 27, 2007

I tend to have music on in the background so, anytime I feel my concentration going, I just close down the document and listen to that for a while. Now that i'm working inhouse again (as a translator, and not a PM anymore) I just switch on my iPod and that tends to help me focus a bit more - I know it sounds strange, but I've always been able to concentrate more with some music on the go!

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Coffee, 7-minute walk, and back to work Aug 27, 2007

Coffee, 7-minute walk, and back to work

From where I live, there is a short road up the hill to a view over the bay. It takes me roughly 7 minutes to go up to the top and back, and this is often enough to get me on track again.

While I'm out I leave a cup of coffee to make itself, and then I tell myself I have this rule - I don't sit thinking about whether I want to do jobs or not. They have to be done. End of discussion.

Unless the real trouble is interruptions from the phone and the e-mail, those 7 minutes are well spent, however tight the deadline!

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:20
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
When I get tired/bored....!! Aug 27, 2007

Well, translation is my hobby and I do the jobs in my leisure time nowadays. However, I love doing translations, and when I am tired, I love to close my eyes and lie down on my bed and try to take a short sleep. I get up, have a cup of tea and restart doing the job/s. It refreshes me for next hours of work.
Roaming around the streets or in a park is another good idea to refresh self.
However, I'm doing a full time job nowadays, because of which I am distracted a bit, but will get back soon with same old passion as I love translations!
Warm Regards!
PRAKAASH
F.T. for Nepali, Hindi, Sanskrit and English

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 04:50
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
I take this as a sign Aug 27, 2007

Anytime that I feel I can concentrate on my work, I take it as a sign that I need a break. I neither abuse nor overuse my breaks, but what's the point of slogging on if my productivity is waning? After all, we're not machines.

I generally get out of the office for a walk with my MP3 player, when I feel I can't concentrate or work as well as I would like to. I almost always work better when I get back from these breaks. I also work better after a good meal.

Reed

Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:50
English to Spanish
I do something else Aug 27, 2007

If the deadline is not short, I go for a walk or tidy up the house

Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:50
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do something non-job related Aug 27, 2007

I play with my child, go out with her to the park or bake cakes/cookies.

Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 05:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do something about it... Aug 27, 2007

It depends on the deadline, but if I can’t really concentrate on the translation, I go out to the balcony, take a deep breath, look to the sky, stay there for 10 minutes and do some relaxing exercises. If I don’t have to finish the translation I am working on the same day, I definitely take my mp3 player or the novel I am reading and I run away from home for 1 hour and then I return. All the time I have done this, it really helped me not only to put my mind on the translation but also to translate better and faster.
Regards!
Fernando

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When I can't concentrate on a translation I:

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs