Poll: Members of my family help in my work mostly by:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 27, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Members of my family help in my work mostly by:".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Beatriz Galiano (X)
Beatriz Galiano (X)
Argentina
Local time: 04:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Helping with computer problems. Aug 27, 2007

Although I live alone, my brother and sister in law have helped with my pc, last month nobody here could fix it well, so I sent it to them in another city and it is now working despite some hacking attempts and viruses...

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:51
German to French
+ ...
Other Aug 27, 2007

My husband helps me with the understanding of texts in Russian or Ukrainian, when needed

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Combination Aug 27, 2007

My husband keeps our son busy while I'm working, helps out around the house, cooks an occasional meal, and sometimes helps me to understand my source text

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
proofreading Aug 27, 2007

My husband is a real nitpicker, and of course loves to point out my mistakes
Besides, he has a language degree.
He serves great coffee, too.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
All of the above!!! Aug 27, 2007

As my husband and I work together as a team, we help each other in a combination of the above options. But he's more computer savvy than me and I feed the family.

We wake up very early in the morning and our two-year-old girl helps us by waking up at noon and making our lives happier. We have lunch together and take a walk to the park whenever we can. She helps us to relax and have fun everyday!

In the afternoon she takes a nap and we're back to work again.

... See more
As my husband and I work together as a team, we help each other in a combination of the above options. But he's more computer savvy than me and I feed the family.

We wake up very early in the morning and our two-year-old girl helps us by waking up at noon and making our lives happier. We have lunch together and take a walk to the park whenever we can. She helps us to relax and have fun everyday!

In the afternoon she takes a nap and we're back to work again.

So I can say this is a family business where everybody helps everybody. That´s cool!

Love

Letty
Collapse

Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
My family gives me peace and food! Aug 27, 2007

When I have a lot of work to do, my sister cooks for me. She’s an excellent cooker! Of course, everyone that visits me when I am working has to prepare some "mate" or coffee.

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

English to Spanish
+ ...
A combination of things... Aug 27, 2007

My girlfriend is a translator, so when I have doubts or need her comments about my work, I definitely ask her. My sister comes to Santa Fe once a week to study and if she visits us and we have a lot of work, she cooks for us. And if we have problems with our PCs, I call my cousin and he helps us out.
Best,
Fernando

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Other Aug 28, 2007

My partner is Italian, and is invaluable at working out the meaning of the more obscure phrases that crop up (or confirming that they are indeed complete nonsense!)

He also deals with any computer tantrums, although as he refuses to give up without finding out "why", that can sometimes be more of a hindrance than a help.

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:51
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A combination Aug 28, 2007

I am lucky enough to have three medical doctors in my family - my father, mother and brother - all working in different areas of medicine. They proofread any medical texts for me. My other brother is a computer programmer and he, along with my father, helps me with any computer stuff.

The deal is generally "you help me now, I'll cook/buy you dinner later".

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Team efort Aug 28, 2007

I’m the front man for my work, but my family’s behind the scenes help is invaluable. My wife helps out with accounting and correspondence. My oldest daughter (16) will do a little typing for me from time to time and my two younger daughters (13 and 8) help out by studying or playing quietly when need be. It’s really a team effort on the part of all.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Other Aug 28, 2007

I live alone, so the "family" that helps me are the members of ProZ!

Amy

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Moral of the story... Aug 28, 2007

Rebecca Hendry wrote:

I am lucky enough to have three medical doctors in my family - my father, mother and brother - all working in different areas of medicine. They proofread any medical texts for me. My other brother is a computer programmer and he, along with my father, helps me with any computer stuff.

The deal is generally "you help me now, I'll cook/buy you dinner later".

Marry a doctor!

I answered the question assuming it means the people we live with (I don't live with family). I went for other, as my flat-mate sometimes helps me with understanding a text, though usually if I need help it's something that she can't work out either.

Being just a flat-mate, she obviously doesn't cook for me!

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 00:51
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A combo that sure works! Aug 28, 2007

Even though I majored in Data Processing, I didn't follow through to become a programmer and/or computer assembler. Let's just say I'm an experienced computer user who keeps things running fine, but once there are major glitches, I turn to my nerdier husband to fix things and choose different setups for our office to work smoothly.

Since he's not only my partner in life, but also in our business, he helps out with accounting and taxes. I let him do the math with our tax guy 'cause
... See more
Even though I majored in Data Processing, I didn't follow through to become a programmer and/or computer assembler. Let's just say I'm an experienced computer user who keeps things running fine, but once there are major glitches, I turn to my nerdier husband to fix things and choose different setups for our office to work smoothly.

Since he's not only my partner in life, but also in our business, he helps out with accounting and taxes. I let him do the math with our tax guy 'cause I'm really number illiterate!

On the other hand, he's not really a language person, so I don't turn to him very often when I have a language question. I usually send an email or chat with my parents, my brother, or a couple of friends when I have to check terms in Portuguese; if they understand what I'm talking about and it sounds natural to them, then I know the translation works well.

However, since my husband "breathes" technology, whenever I'm trying to reorganize instructions in my head concerning computers and electronics before translating them in Portuguese, I sure try to "explain" to him in my own words how the software or gadget in question works, so he can tell me whether I'm right and give me some ideas on how to break it down and polish my translation.

Some other times, it's hard to know whether an expression means A or B without more context, so I just show him the document and ask him to read it out loud so I can get the native speaker / nerdy perspective. The other day, for example, I had to translate "lead plug" and I didn't have enough context to know whether it was a "plug made of lead" or a "leading plug" and he explained to me that the second option was actually the correct one.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Members of my family help in my work mostly by:

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »