Poll: I click on the Featured Translator if...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 28, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I click on the Featured Translator if...".

This poll was originally submitted by ryancolm

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each tim
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I click on the Featured Translator if...".

This poll was originally submitted by ryancolm

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 19:14
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Nice to "meet" that person Aug 29, 2007

The "15 minutes of fame" of this Featured Translator are not just that sensation of being on the frontpage.
Persons, faces, logos, townscapes are just the visual part of it.
It's about getting to know a very diverse community.
Even a way to teach us that there are this or that languages... and combinations available.
Definitely, a feature to keep alive.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 00:14
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Several of the above! Aug 29, 2007

I voted for 'if the picture piques my curiosity'

-- which it does for many reasons, such as if I know the person, especially 'virtually', or if it is someone who might work in any of my languages of interest.

Or I just think 'Well, I've nver seen that face before!' ... and need a two-minute break.

Or if the name is the same as someone I used to know. It's never the same person, but a couple of my old acquaintances do have names that give millions of google
... See more
I voted for 'if the picture piques my curiosity'

-- which it does for many reasons, such as if I know the person, especially 'virtually', or if it is someone who might work in any of my languages of interest.

Or I just think 'Well, I've nver seen that face before!' ... and need a two-minute break.

Or if the name is the same as someone I used to know. It's never the same person, but a couple of my old acquaintances do have names that give millions of google hits!

I sometimes click on new members' names too for the same reasons, but find a lot of boring empty profiles there!
Let's hope people fill them in as time goes by.

Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
smile Aug 29, 2007

If I take a break, if there is a nice smile or a nice person on the picture, I can click on it.
If I am looking for a colleague, I use the "search" directory.

Have a nice day!

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Pearly whites Aug 29, 2007

Erzsébet Czopyk wrote:

if there is a nice smile or a nice person on the picture, I can click on it.

That's exactly what I was going to answer. My curiosity is piqued when I see a smiling translator. I click on their profile to see if I can find out why they're so happy

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:14
Dutch to English
+ ...
If I feel like it ... Aug 29, 2007

... no specific reason, but often interesting to read other profiles if I have a minute or two to spare.

Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Smile too Aug 29, 2007

Erzsébet Czopyk wrote:

If I take a break, if there is a nice smile or a nice person on the picture, I can click on it.
If I am looking for a colleague, I use the "search" directory.

Have a nice day!

I voted for “colleagues who work in the same language pair than me”, but a smiling face always attracts my attention!

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 18:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never occurred to me. Aug 29, 2007

I have never clicked on a profile because it never occurred to me to do so. There's a good chance I will in the future.

However, I always look at the picture and read the box--usually the first thing I do before scrolling down to the quick poll. I'm very familiar with the names and pictures in my pairs, but it's fun to see others from around the world and know that we're connected. I also enjoy seeing names in other languages
... See more
I have never clicked on a profile because it never occurred to me to do so. There's a good chance I will in the future.

However, I always look at the picture and read the box--usually the first thing I do before scrolling down to the quick poll. I'm very familiar with the names and pictures in my pairs, but it's fun to see others from around the world and know that we're connected. I also enjoy seeing names in other languages (and wondering how to pronounce them!).

Jane
Collapse

Ricardo Pereira
Ricardo Pereira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:14
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Several reasons Aug 29, 2007

I think I click on it for no specific reason. But I definitely click on it if I know the translator or if the picture "gets a hold" of my attention.

Cheers, Ricardo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I click on the Featured Translator if...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »