Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Criteria for selecting someone to work with / for:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 5, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Criteria for selecting someone to work with / for:".

This poll was originally submitted by Daniel Gebauer

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more in
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Criteria for selecting someone to work with / for:".

This poll was originally submitted by Daniel Gebauer

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:31
Russian to English
+ ...
I always ask existing contacts for suggestions Sep 5, 2007

I tend to ask people I know to be reliable to help me find other colleagues to work with.

On the client front, BB and personal research are the main tools I use.

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 09:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some of the above... Sep 5, 2007

I always take into account some of the options mentioned. I also refer to the BB and do my personal research as Konstantin said.

Have a nice day!
Fernando

Jim Tucker (X)
Jim Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Good issue for discussion, but Sep 5, 2007

..the question is not well put; this would best be handled by a kind of ranking system for the criteria listed, as I imagine everyone would have to use more than one of these.

Unfortunately, I guess, the one-choice survey is not up to the task here.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
??? Sep 5, 2007

I'm afraid "with" and "for" will admit variants. E.g., the way I choose colleagues for a team is not the same way I choose agencies... and I daresay outsourcers will employ different criteria with respect to freelancers.

[Edited at 2007-09-05 19:17]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
These are two completely different issues Sep 5, 2007

And these should be two different polls. It is impossible to choose one and the same answer for "with" and "for".

Daniel Gebauer
Daniel Gebauer  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to German
+ ...
Many thanks for your input Sep 5, 2007

As the originator of this poll, let me first thank you for your input.
The idea for this poll was triggered when some weeks ago I had a rather unpleasant experience when outsourcing a job to somebody else (I am a freelancer, I do outsourcing only in exceptional cases).
I had about 5 or 6 applicants before I closed the job.
My choice was based primarily on proven expertise (on the ground of what I was told by the applicants).
In deed, I did not choose the cheapest offer.<
... See more
As the originator of this poll, let me first thank you for your input.
The idea for this poll was triggered when some weeks ago I had a rather unpleasant experience when outsourcing a job to somebody else (I am a freelancer, I do outsourcing only in exceptional cases).
I had about 5 or 6 applicants before I closed the job.
My choice was based primarily on proven expertise (on the ground of what I was told by the applicants).
In deed, I did not choose the cheapest offer.
My choice has a remarkable profile at Proz.com and a trustable academic background.
The job delivered was less than poor. I had to spend 4 hours in putting it into a presentable shape, when I would have spent about 5 hours doing the job myself.
It was delivered delayed, which was embarassing to me as it was a job for a permanent client.
When I made my remarks to the outsourcer saying that the job was late and poor, I got the answer that I should be more respectful to people with a higher academic background.
In synthesis, your input will hopefully be very helpful to me for my next outsourcer choice.
Regards
Daniel
Collapse

maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:31
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
recommendations Sep 5, 2007

The first thing I do is ask a colleague I trust for recommendations - someone who has worked with this person before and has had good results - both good quality translations and on time/trustworthy.

Otherwise, I might ask for a test translation, just as many agencies do.

Price is obviously a deal-breaker if it's too high, but most translators in my combinations tend to work at more or less the same price.

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Many of the above Sep 5, 2007

Hi!

Some time ago I had to gather a team for a very big project and my priorities were as follows:

1. Translators whose work and trustworthiness I know.
2. Translators refered by group 1.
3. Translators from Proz.com with proven experience in the specific translation field.

And, except for group 1, a translation test, short, taken from the most difficult part of the text, focused on comprehension of the text, not terminology, as terminology was
... See more
Hi!

Some time ago I had to gather a team for a very big project and my priorities were as follows:

1. Translators whose work and trustworthiness I know.
2. Translators refered by group 1.
3. Translators from Proz.com with proven experience in the specific translation field.

And, except for group 1, a translation test, short, taken from the most difficult part of the text, focused on comprehension of the text, not terminology, as terminology was provided by the client.

I think this is the way of choosing someone to work with.
Regards,
Marina
Collapse

Beatriz Galiano (X)
Beatriz Galiano (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Experience in the field, I guess. Sep 5, 2007

I guess this is very real,it happens everyday, you see outstanding CVs and referees from a professional, but then, in many cases you are let down.

I guess it is a trial and error thing, and you are supposed to be in for some surprises before you find the right person, in this case the translator who you can trust and who can provide you with the quality you expect.

Experience in the field is extremelly important for me, if I need a partner to finish a project, he/she w
... See more
I guess this is very real,it happens everyday, you see outstanding CVs and referees from a professional, but then, in many cases you are let down.

I guess it is a trial and error thing, and you are supposed to be in for some surprises before you find the right person, in this case the translator who you can trust and who can provide you with the quality you expect.

Experience in the field is extremelly important for me, if I need a partner to finish a project, he/she wont be inexperienced in the field at hand.

And, I'd like to add that what happened to you, Daniel, is not really that bad, taking into account that working as freelancers in an open competition market, it gives you the chance, precisely, to try and change as much as you need, so that sooner or later you really 'can' find what you want.

See you,

liliana

[Edited at 2007-09-05 23:50]

[Edited at 2007-09-06 00:21]
Collapse

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Other Sep 6, 2007

I vote for "proven good work" (not necessarily in der subject field)

Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Some of the above… Sep 6, 2007

When I have to choose someone to work with me, I try to look for a translator who has proven expertise in subject field, but also I take into account the personal past experience. If I already worked with a translator and he/she did a bad job, I wouldn’t ask for their help any longer. As Daniel says, sometimes you spend more time reviewing the translation than doing the whole work from scratch yourself.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:31
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
KudoZ Sep 6, 2007

Note: I don't care about the number of points earned.

Observing the quality of colleagues' answers in the KudoZ forum is the ultimate way to learn about their expertise, professional experience, writing style, how they think, their sense of humor, and what not.

This method has led to highly successful collaboration, not to mention team-building.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 07:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Kudoz Sep 6, 2007

Not necessarily "hyperactivity", rather quality. I have recommended several colleagues and/or used their help based on their Kudoz answers over a couple of years. Noone was ever sorry. Plus, things went from Kudoz to friendships:-)

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:31
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Exactly, Irene. Sep 6, 2007

IreneN wrote:
Plus, things went from Kudoz to friendships:-)

Indeed, friendships. Really great ones, actually.

Moreover, colleagues have turned into regular clients and vice versa. It's amazing.

Edit:
There is some difference between working with / working for. My reply refers to "working with".

[Edited at 2007-09-06 16:25]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Criteria for selecting someone to work with / for:

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »