Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What percentage of your income comes from language-related services?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 6, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What percentage of your income comes from language-related services?".

This poll was originally submitted by Hilde Granlund

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What percentage of your income comes from language-related services?".

This poll was originally submitted by Hilde Granlund

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:59
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What does "language-related" mean exactly? Sep 6, 2007

We are a translation team and only offer translation and related work (editing, multilingual DTP...), hence I reckon that ALL our income comes from "language-related services"?

Iffat Chowdhury
Iffat Chowdhury  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 06:59
English to Bengali
+ ...
All of my income comes from translation Sep 6, 2007

My one and only profession and income source is translation and related work. So all of income comes from this single-source.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
100% Sep 6, 2007

As we are both translators we work together as a team and provide translation and DTP language-related services. We occasionally provide interpretation services.

Have a nice day!

Letty

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Hmm, I wonder.... Sep 6, 2007

Hi Hilde,

Did/Do you have something specially in mind here when posing such a question to such an overwhelmingly "language-related group"?

As an English teacher and a translator, I can't see any of my income coming from anything else. But it will be interesting to see what comes out of this posting.

Cheers!

Bill

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 21:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
100% definitely Sep 6, 2007

I work as a full-time freelance translator so as you can imagine my income depends on the translations I do.

Regards,
Fernando

Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
100% thanks God! Sep 6, 2007

I can’t imagine doing something else that is not related to languages. I love languages, my profession and translating!

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Hi Bill Sep 6, 2007

The poll was edited a bit by the site.
I thought it might be interesting to see how many people in here are full time translators, and how many are not. (The language -related bit was not my idea...)
For myself - I work full time at another job, but I am getting an increasing amount of translating requests since joining proz.

[Edited at 2007-09-06 21:50]

Ricardo Pereira
Ricardo Pereira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:59
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I would say around 95 to 99% Sep 6, 2007

I also have a rock covers band. It is more like a hobby.. but it surely pays off. A gig or two every weekend is enough to cover my music related expenses and my monthly fuel expenses as well.

It's kind of "my pocket money provider".

The rest is strictly language related.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:59
French to English
+ ...
Phrasing Sep 6, 2007

Hmmm, well, I am a full-time translator, but not all my income comes from my work, as I also receive maintenance payments from my ex-husband to keep my children in the house and style to which they've become accustomed! Not sure how you can categorise that. The way the question was phrased meant that I could only answer 50 to 75%...

[Edited at 2007-09-07 08:23]

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 07:59
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
100% from Translation Sep 6, 2007

I work full time as a freelance translator. I am in front of my PC every day from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm seven days a week. Thus, the only source of my income is translation.

[Edited at 2007-09-06 22:36]

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Thanks, Hilde, for the reply! Sep 6, 2007

Hilde Granlund wrote:

The poll was edited a bit by the site.
I thought it might be interesting to see how many people in here are full time translators, and how many are not. (The language -related bit was not my idea...)
For myself - I work full time at another job, but I am getting an increasing amount of translating requests since joining proz.

Fair enough! Takk skal du ha, og lykke til med to jobber!

Bill

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
All Language Related, With Some Variation Sep 7, 2007

I work as a professional writer and journalist, a translator of Spanish and French into English, and a tutor to high school Spanish and French students.

I love all my professional endeavors equally.

I also work 7 days a week, especially since I think it's a good idea to pace myself so that I don't get burned out.

I find having a variety of language related work also helps me from getting burned out.

For me, its a good idea to make sure that I d
... See more
I work as a professional writer and journalist, a translator of Spanish and French into English, and a tutor to high school Spanish and French students.

I love all my professional endeavors equally.

I also work 7 days a week, especially since I think it's a good idea to pace myself so that I don't get burned out.

I find having a variety of language related work also helps me from getting burned out.

For me, its a good idea to make sure that I do not become too glued to the computer screen. Being around other people is important to me, too.

[Edited at 2007-09-07 04:14]
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:59
French to Spanish
+ ...
Yes. Sep 7, 2007

95 % script translation, translation for subtitling and subtitling, 5 % French voice-over.
Language-related services, indeed. Not typical, but yes.

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 18:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Translation and classes Sep 7, 2007

I answered 100% since I do translations and also teach.
My other jobs, taking my mother to do some errands, picking up my nephew and niece from school, and so on....are not paid.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What percentage of your income comes from language-related services?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »