Poll: What percentage of your daily work consists of research?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 7, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What percentage of your daily work consists of research?".

This poll was originally submitted by Manuel Martín-Iguacel

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run.
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What percentage of your daily work consists of research?".

This poll was originally submitted by Manuel Martín-Iguacel

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Beatriz Galiano (X)
Beatriz Galiano (X)
Argentina
Local time: 04:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
20-30% Sep 7, 2007

Research is 20-30% of my work as I am studying for a MA and also when looking for new sources of meanings. I like it, in fact my MA is in evaluation and research in Education.

see u,

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:05
English to French
+ ...
Other: it depends Sep 7, 2007

It depends on the subject. While I'm not going to accept a highly specialized job I know nothing about, I do accept jobs that are related closely enough to my specialties. And for some of those, I sometimes need to research more than for others .
There are jobs for which I hardly have to research anything, and others for which I have to spend a lot of time on terminology.

On the other hand, maybe it's not just the percentage of time of just one day, but a week or a month, as w
... See more
It depends on the subject. While I'm not going to accept a highly specialized job I know nothing about, I do accept jobs that are related closely enough to my specialties. And for some of those, I sometimes need to research more than for others .
There are jobs for which I hardly have to research anything, and others for which I have to spend a lot of time on terminology.

On the other hand, maybe it's not just the percentage of time of just one day, but a week or a month, as when I start a new and longer job, I take some time reading about the subject in my native language. That may represent a higher percentage of a given day, and I may have to research very little (or at least much less) afterwards.
Collapse

Ali Al awadi
Ali Al awadi  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Arabic
+ ...
Translator's experience, mood and approach. Sep 7, 2007

As far as translation- and/or editing-related research is concerned, it is hard to set the exact percentage of research done throughout translation and/or editing.

Since my translation assignments tend to differ in register from highly technical to technical or general, a technicality-research ratio can vary considerably and thus the amount of relevant research.
Moreover, it depends on myriad factors such as, the references available, translator's experience, speciality field
... See more
As far as translation- and/or editing-related research is concerned, it is hard to set the exact percentage of research done throughout translation and/or editing.

Since my translation assignments tend to differ in register from highly technical to technical or general, a technicality-research ratio can vary considerably and thus the amount of relevant research.
Moreover, it depends on myriad factors such as, the references available, translator's experience, speciality field, mood, readiness, approach to the essentiality of research process itself to the text at hand. For a translator who is well-versed in a highly technical register, a research process wouldnt be time-consuming or exhausting. That same text would take a moody translator quite a while if he was not really in the mood of doing some essential research.

[Edited at 2007-09-07 17:39]
Collapse

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 03:05
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
It all depends what you mean by research Sep 7, 2007

I put 10% as a nominal figure. However, how can anyone really pinpoint how much research he or she does? What constitutes research?

I would love to spend hours researching the topics I translate. I often set time aside to look through the Encyclopedia Britannica and read discussion forums.

The truth of the matter is that there is simply not enough time to research as much as I would like to. Translating itself is a highly time-consuming business.

I do, howe
... See more
I put 10% as a nominal figure. However, how can anyone really pinpoint how much research he or she does? What constitutes research?

I would love to spend hours researching the topics I translate. I often set time aside to look through the Encyclopedia Britannica and read discussion forums.

The truth of the matter is that there is simply not enough time to research as much as I would like to. Translating itself is a highly time-consuming business.

I do, however, do quite a bit of informal research. Since I live in a country where my source language is spoken, I'm always trying to figure out how the legal system works. I do this by reading the newspaper and going through any legal documents here at home.

I find it to be an advantage to be immersed in Spanish speaking culture and take an active part in everyday life. This has got to be the best research available.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:05
Italian to English
+ ...
Other Sep 8, 2007

It depends on what I'm translating. In a highly technical report of some rare disease, or of the development of a new technique for virus detection, researching the terms can take up to half my time. In run-of-the-mill EC reports, contracts and ICFs, it's more likely to be 5% or even less.

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:05
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Sep 8, 2007

It depends on the subject to translate and the TM I already have or not for the subject.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What percentage of your daily work consists of research?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »