Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When I was at school people thought I was...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 18, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When I was at school people thought I was...".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:38
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other... Sep 18, 2007

....as I don't have a clue! Never asked them!

Sandra Emberger
Sandra Emberger
Germany
English to German
+ ...
...nor did I care Sep 18, 2007

Honestly, I never cared about what they thought about me.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
50 years Sep 18, 2007

I went to my 50 year high school reunion a month ago.

All I can say is that after 50 years they still remember me and I know they all liked me. One thing I was not was a loner. They probably thought I was somewhat unconventional, and now their suspicions have been proven.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 15:38
A combination of swot, teacher's pet, know-it-all, quiet yet somehow I still had friends ;-) Sep 18, 2007

Funny this should pop up.

A girl from my class in secondary school found me through Facebook a couple of days ago and left me a message asking how I was. I replied that I was fine and was working in Dublin as a translator. She replied yesterday "Yes, I thought you would end up doing something like that"

Aside from that, I never bothered kee
... See more
Funny this should pop up.

A girl from my class in secondary school found me through Facebook a couple of days ago and left me a message asking how I was. I replied that I was fine and was working in Dublin as a translator. She replied yesterday "Yes, I thought you would end up doing something like that"

Aside from that, I never bothered keeping in touch with anyone from school (college - yes) as I knew I would be moving far away and they wouldn't.

[Edited at 2007-09-18 14:41]
Collapse

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 11:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
A know-it-all Sep 18, 2007

My fellow students always categorized me as a know-it-all student; basically because I l studied a lot, I always did my homework and I was very responsible, but I really didn’t care because apart from that they liked me and I was very sociable.
Have a nice day. Here, it is a cloudy day...
Fernando

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Sep 18, 2007

I answered other. My own opinion is that I was the “invisible man”. What I mean is that you probably never would have seen me at a school event and my picture doesn’t appear in any year books or school event photo albums.

That doesn’t mean I was a loner though. I have a sister who is a year older than I and a brother who is a year younger. We went through school together and between her friends, his friends and my friends we always had one thing or another to do, but not nec
... See more
I answered other. My own opinion is that I was the “invisible man”. What I mean is that you probably never would have seen me at a school event and my picture doesn’t appear in any year books or school event photo albums.

That doesn’t mean I was a loner though. I have a sister who is a year older than I and a brother who is a year younger. We went through school together and between her friends, his friends and my friends we always had one thing or another to do, but not necessarily based on school or school activities.

I just sort of tolerated school because it was what was expected of us. I just never really was much of a “book learner”. I have a university degree, but I consider myself self-taught. I love books and I love learning, but the whole school system wasn’t the best way for me to do it. So I guess you could say I was there and I wasn’t, hence the “invisible man”.
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:38
English to Arabic
+ ...
Teacher's pet... Sep 18, 2007

Always eager to please and to do my best, I always managed to be the teacher's pet. I'm sure there was some resentment from my classmates, but oh well!

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
A know-it-all Sep 18, 2007

...must be a common thing among translators!

Some teachers could not stand me because of that, and because many times I finished their sentences before them, while they were explaining their lesson...

Plus I always had something to ask, to question or to add...

I must have been their worst nightmare

[Modificato alle 2007-09-18 16:03]

Beatriz Galiano (X)
Beatriz Galiano (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Friendly Sep 18, 2007

I guess that's how they remember me, and funny, I keep on being quite friendly, which has to do with one of my favourite phrases: Smile, tomorrow could be worse.

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Know-it-all Sep 18, 2007

I was the class "smarty pants" and sometimes a teacher's pet, too (but not my math or science teachers!). I have always been somewhat of a loner, although I like people. I was viewed in school as an oddball, "different," etc., probably because I was a professional jazz musician at age 15 in a really small town back in the 1950s where such things were unheard of!

Amy

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Well, I answered N/A Sep 18, 2007

As far as I know, I was one of the crowd at school. What happened to that option? I did, however, have the distinction of being the tallest in the class. Someone else was very close to my height, and the two of us were measured by the teacher from time to time, but I usually won!

Astrid

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:38
Member (2004)
English to French
A loner Sep 18, 2007

Although I had some friends. I dreaded the gym classes, though. I was always picked last. I was really not good at sports. I preferred books.

Beatriz Galiano (X)
Beatriz Galiano (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Sep 18, 2007

Astrid, I was and still am the tallest with 5' 11, 1,80 m.

Nina, In gym classes we practised many sports, and I was good but sometimes I was lazy so a good solution was to ask and be the ref. I guess shy people skip gym classes, I see it happen with my students.

Anne Patteet
Anne Patteet  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:38
English to French
+ ...
I was more of a clown Sep 19, 2007

but never in the sense of being a trouble maker. In fact, "clown" would be exagerated, but that's the closest I could find. I used to make jokes and make people laugh, but never disrespectfully to anyone. And not constantly either. Anyway I was in a school where all the kids were very respecful (or at least that's what I like to think). Only one of my friends managed to be "punished" once in six years (!), and had to stay at school, in detention for an afternoon. I find it incredible.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When I was at school people thought I was...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »