Poll: Do you compile notes during translation to add to a translation-reference list?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 24, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you compile notes during translation to add to a translation-reference list?".

This poll was originally submitted by Harry Hermawan

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a n
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you compile notes during translation to add to a translation-reference list?".

This poll was originally submitted by Harry Hermawan

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Help! Sep 24, 2007

Hi Harry, Thanks for sharing. Maybe it's because it's Monday and things aren't getting through to me, but I have to admit: I don't understand the question.

Could someone help me figure it out? Are we talking about compiling glossaries or something different?

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:10
Flemish to English
+ ...
Cahier des charges-Translation Specs. Sep 24, 2007

I think Harry means notes about translation difficulties or why a sentence was translated in a particular manner.
Actually, I've never thought of drawing up such specifications, but it is not a bad idea.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe queries? Sep 24, 2007

John Cutler wrote:

Hi Harry, Thanks for sharing. Maybe it's because it's Monday and things aren't getting through to me, but I have to admit: I don't understand the question.

Could someone help me figure it out? Are we talking about compiling glossaries or something different?

Not sure, but I interpreted the question as meaning "queries". That is, questions or comments sent to the customer about those terms or interpretations that are not clear.

Or, for example, when you catch an error in the original language text and you send a comment about this. I usually send a short email or even a Word/Excel document with these queries/comments.

I answered yes, whenever I have doubts about such issues.

Best,

Ivette

[Edited at 2007-09-24 15:11]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, mostly terminology Sep 24, 2007

I have understood the question as whether we record the solution to translation difficulties or interpretation of special phrases and terms so that we don't have to research it all again when we see such cases again.

I answered Yes. We mostly record any relevant new terms (very specially polysemic English words) and their target-language translations, with a detailed explanation and context, specialty, grammar, gender, source, and other information about each entry. This way we avoi
... See more
I have understood the question as whether we record the solution to translation difficulties or interpretation of special phrases and terms so that we don't have to research it all again when we see such cases again.

I answered Yes. We mostly record any relevant new terms (very specially polysemic English words) and their target-language translations, with a detailed explanation and context, specialty, grammar, gender, source, and other information about each entry. This way we avoid researching important terms time and time again when more translations come for a certain topic or trade.
Collapse

Beatriz Galiano (X)
Beatriz Galiano (X)
Argentina
Local time: 15:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometimes Sep 24, 2007

It's pretty obvious to me, I said sometimes, as I do not have any special tools, I do keep notes if they are worth keeping.

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Does a glossary count? Sep 24, 2007

My main type of notes is based on the vocabulary and specific terminology, as Tomás said. I have a glossary for every project I work so I don't have to do the same work twice.

I also keep a short list of points that my proofreader sends me so I don't find myself making the same mistakes over and over again.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:10
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Guessing at the meaning of the question... Sep 24, 2007

I add items to my termbases, but I'm not sure if that's what's being asked.

[Edited at 2007-09-24 23:18]

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I'm surprised... Sep 25, 2007

at how many people don't do this! (This = the thing that I think the poll taker was asking us, but maybe I didn't understand.)

I almost always write a cover letter to the client, with explanations about why I used certain terms or phrased things a certain way, queries about anything that wasn't clear, errors found in the original (if there are many, I return the original file with problems highlighted), suggestions for improving the organization or clarity of the writing (if needed
... See more
at how many people don't do this! (This = the thing that I think the poll taker was asking us, but maybe I didn't understand.)

I almost always write a cover letter to the client, with explanations about why I used certain terms or phrased things a certain way, queries about anything that wasn't clear, errors found in the original (if there are many, I return the original file with problems highlighted), suggestions for improving the organization or clarity of the writing (if needed), and just about anything else I can think of.

I consider that all part of the job, and while sometimes my notes don't reach the right person, I've never gotten negative feedback about this--to the contrary, people usually express their gratitude. It also helps me to think through the work one last time before forwarding it, and it is a record that I can check should the original get revised and a new translation be needed or just for future reference on other projects.
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
always Sep 25, 2007

Like Patricia, I always make notes on the translation. These include links to websites for reference materials, notes on the customer's terminology, spelling mistakes/inconsistencies/errors in the original text, terminology that needs checking by the customer, formating that needs checking after exporting from Transit , etc. I use this as a basis for communicating with the customer on delivery. These notes are very handy for similar translations later on, especially the weblinks. I enter all tra... See more
Like Patricia, I always make notes on the translation. These include links to websites for reference materials, notes on the customer's terminology, spelling mistakes/inconsistencies/errors in the original text, terminology that needs checking by the customer, formating that needs checking after exporting from Transit , etc. I use this as a basis for communicating with the customer on delivery. These notes are very handy for similar translations later on, especially the weblinks. I enter all translations into an Excel spreadsheet together with up to 6 keywords so that I can find reference translations for Transit. This is the only way of keeping track of more than 1500 projects. I enter new terms into my Transit dictionaries as I go - currently over 200,000 terms.

All this is extra work, but it saves plenty of time later on. My work is ultra-organised, my desk is a mess!!

Cheers,
Jill
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Didn't understand the question Sep 25, 2007

... so I haven't voted yet. Perhaps Harry might like to shed some light?

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Often, if not always Sep 25, 2007

Every time I start a job I open an Excel file with columns named "source" "target" "problem" "notes" and the likes in which I highlight errors or questions. Most of the time are errors in the source. I send the XL file to the client, who checks the points and return it back to me before I deliver. I work with the XL file open all the time, don't like to write things down on paper.
G

[Edited at 2007-09-25 12:02]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you compile notes during translation to add to a translation-reference list?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »