Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Which do you think is the best for saving/backing up your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ricardo Pereira
Ricardo Pereira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:16
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
External hard drive Sep 25, 2007

Simple (like a big, big pen drive), portable, safe and practical. It is even very useful when one needs to format the internal drive. All my data is in the external disk (as well as in the internal disk).

Cheers, Ricardo

Leticia Klemetz, CT
Leticia Klemetz, CT  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:16
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
A combination Sep 26, 2007

I've been told it's a rare thing, but my external hard drive (iOmega, 120 gb) crashed and I lost all the information I had stored there, removing it from my computer to save space. So when I back up important things, I've gone perhaps a little too careful: I burn CDs/DVDs, back up on another external hard drive (which of course I don't trust very much), my small pen drive, a secondary computer, and the files I am currently working on, for a large project, I upload to an email account which is no... See more
I've been told it's a rare thing, but my external hard drive (iOmega, 120 gb) crashed and I lost all the information I had stored there, removing it from my computer to save space. So when I back up important things, I've gone perhaps a little too careful: I burn CDs/DVDs, back up on another external hard drive (which of course I don't trust very much), my small pen drive, a secondary computer, and the files I am currently working on, for a large project, I upload to an email account which is not automatically downloaded.
Better safe than sorry...

Any other experiences on external hard drives crashing? I think they are a great idea, provided they work of course!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Digital tape recorder Sep 26, 2007

Our server runs a full backup on digital tape every night, currently saving around 50+GB.

Best regards,
Ralf

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
External hard drive Sep 26, 2007

once a week or so, plus a backup on a memory stick of whatever I'm currently working on if it's a big job and/or the computer's been behaving suspiciously.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
To Leticia Sep 26, 2007

Leticia Klemetz, CT wrote:

Any other experiences on external hard drives crashing? I think they are a great idea, provided they work of course!

I had an external drive break on me when I caught its cable and knocked it on the floor while it was in the middle of a backup... I don't recommend it. It made lots of very interesting noises, mind you.

FionaDV (X)
FionaDV (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to English
+ ...
Online and on a second laptop Sep 26, 2007

I've been simplifying my backup strategy for quite some time now and as a result, I've stopped using CDs and manually uploading files to a web server via FTP. Instead I use Mozy to backup all my files off-site (online) and Goodsync to backup on-site (on a second laptop). One thing I really like about Mozy is that it backs up changed files automatically, even while they're open, whenever my computer has been idle for 15 minut... See more
I've been simplifying my backup strategy for quite some time now and as a result, I've stopped using CDs and manually uploading files to a web server via FTP. Instead I use Mozy to backup all my files off-site (online) and Goodsync to backup on-site (on a second laptop). One thing I really like about Mozy is that it backs up changed files automatically, even while they're open, whenever my computer has been idle for 15 minutes. So when I get back to my laptop after having a cup of tea, Mozy greets me with "Files backed up 2 minutes ago." Sweet.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which do you think is the best for saving/backing up your work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »