Poll: Do you hide behind invisibility in your favorite Instant Messaging Service?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 4, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you hide behind invisibility in your favorite Instant Messaging Service?".

This poll was originally submitted by Enrique

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you hide behind invisibility in your favorite Instant Messaging Service?".

This poll was originally submitted by Enrique

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:03
German to English
+ ...
It's absolutely necessary at times Oct 5, 2007

When the technology we have today makes us always 'available', it's necessary to be able to 'switch off', 'be invisible', use caller ID, etc. Most of the technologies deliver these handy features.
After scoffing at chat programs, I started using MSN Messenger several years ago because one agency I work for uses it to coordinate several offices and translators scattered all around the world. So I try to be online during the working hours of that agency. I actually enjoy the virtual c
... See more
When the technology we have today makes us always 'available', it's necessary to be able to 'switch off', 'be invisible', use caller ID, etc. Most of the technologies deliver these handy features.
After scoffing at chat programs, I started using MSN Messenger several years ago because one agency I work for uses it to coordinate several offices and translators scattered all around the world. So I try to be online during the working hours of that agency. I actually enjoy the virtual contact with employees and other translators from many countries of the world and it is one of the aspects that made this agency so attractive to me.
But I sometimes have to switch to invisible mode in order to avoid social chatting. My best friends understand that I am usually working when I'm online and ask whether I have time to chat, and actually most chats are just a few minutes. But if that is multiplied by 3 or 4 when I have a tight deadline, it can get uncomfortable.
The agency can still send me an email and ask me to come online or use the old-fashioned phone if it is particularly urgent.
Collapse

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:03
Russian to English
+ ...
Never; I just don't treat them like phone calls Oct 5, 2007

I never go invisible...I sometimes change my status to DND but generally I answer messages when I can without feeling compelled to reply "instantly"

elen_d
elen_d
Local time: 22:03
English to French
+ ...
Always "offline" when I sign up Oct 5, 2007

I have set up my messenger service to appear automatically offline when I sign up so I have time to read my mails ad have a look at who's there before an army of "hey" and other smileys pop up.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:03
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I used to do it, now I use another method... Oct 5, 2007

I used to hide invisible while working, but this year we worked with a team on a rush project, and some colleagues did not get used to write to me when I was "off line".

So ended up setting up a new msn account for work only, where I added my work related contacts (only). Now I do not hide anymore

Good weekend,

Andrés

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:03
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never, but... Oct 5, 2007

I seldom run IM software. My clients generally contact me via e-mail, or occasionally by phone.

[Edited at 2007-10-05 12:00]

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:03
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Always Oct 5, 2007

I leave Skype and YM on invisible all the time. The people I want to contact me know this and are used to it.

Amy

p.s. Nevertheless, I still occasionally have a YM window pop up with a hideous little crab-like creature saying "Hey, sexy!" lol

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you hide behind invisibility in your favorite Instant Messaging Service?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »