https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/86129-poll%3A_i_would_rate_my_professional_interpersonal_skills_as%3A.html

Poll: I would rate my professional interpersonal skills as:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 9, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I would rate my professional interpersonal skills as:".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
The other side of the story Oct 9, 2007

I suppose interpersonal skills mean our dealings with clients and/or colleagues i.e., how well we get along with them on a professional level.

I tend to be very patient with clients who are in a hurry and want me to respond to the constantly tight deadlines, although sometimes it can be a real test of patience. I think that’s the moment when it’s best to just respond professionally and not let personal frustration get in the way. I’m often tempted to write a pointed email sayi
... See more
I suppose interpersonal skills mean our dealings with clients and/or colleagues i.e., how well we get along with them on a professional level.

I tend to be very patient with clients who are in a hurry and want me to respond to the constantly tight deadlines, although sometimes it can be a real test of patience. I think that’s the moment when it’s best to just respond professionally and not let personal frustration get in the way. I’m often tempted to write a pointed email saying something like, “Get off my back you %$•*!”

I also gained a little insight this morning into why things are that way. I had asked a colleague to help me with some of my work load these past few days and she was taking a little longer than I would have liked. I wrote an email as a “nudge” to hurry her up and all of a sudden it occurred to me that I had become the pushy boss!! Now I see agencies and other clients who want everything now or before are just doing their job. I think it’ll help me understand their side of the professional story in the future.
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Russian
+ ...
A bit of self-analysis Oct 9, 2007

I answered "quite good" but immediately had second thoughts. I mean, I believe myself to be effective in dealing with clients and vendors. Whether they think so is not so clear... At the same time, I always find myself in altercations with colleagues. Sure, I've made a lot of friends on ProZ where we have lots of mutual respect for each other, but then there are all these other jerks getting in the way... See what I'm saying?... See more
I answered "quite good" but immediately had second thoughts. I mean, I believe myself to be effective in dealing with clients and vendors. Whether they think so is not so clear... At the same time, I always find myself in altercations with colleagues. Sure, I've made a lot of friends on ProZ where we have lots of mutual respect for each other, but then there are all these other jerks getting in the way... See what I'm saying?Collapse

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
surely Oct 9, 2007

others are a better judge of this than I am myself

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I put "quite good"... Oct 9, 2007

...but I would say, at least from my point of view, that judging from how I get along with the people I work with, my interpersonal skills are excellent. However, as Hilde said, others are a better judge of this than I am, and who knows? Maybe they're just pretending to be nice and actually think I'm an idiot...hahahaha.

Amy

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

English to Spanish
+ ...
You are right, Hilde Oct 9, 2007

Hilde Granlund wrote:

others are a better judge of this than I am myself

I completely agree with you.
Regards,
Fernando

Beatriz Galiano (X)
Beatriz Galiano (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Excellent Oct 9, 2007

I said excellent, and for me that means: my professional relations with customers, bosses and colleagues are always honest. This does not mean that I never go thru experiences which are either unpleasant or unfair, but keeping a straightforward, honest attitude helps a lot and saves time and money.

[Edited at 2007-10-10 01:08]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Somewhat lacking Oct 10, 2007

Well, there was nothing for "terrible" so I chose that. Actually, "somewhat lacking" is probably fair. I am not one who can hold my patience for very long when working with others. I am not a "teamworker". I do get along quite well with people when friendship, not work, is involved.

So that is why I choose to work alone, it suits me just fine. When it comes to getting things done for my clients, few demands are so impossible they cannot be met, so I meet them, but in case it is nece
... See more
Well, there was nothing for "terrible" so I chose that. Actually, "somewhat lacking" is probably fair. I am not one who can hold my patience for very long when working with others. I am not a "teamworker". I do get along quite well with people when friendship, not work, is involved.

So that is why I choose to work alone, it suits me just fine. When it comes to getting things done for my clients, few demands are so impossible they cannot be met, so I meet them, but in case it is necessary, I let them know what the realities of the situation are.

Paper and words in a file do not talk back to me so I can deal with them. I have a hard enough time keeping myself from shooting my computer sometimes, so I certainly would not wish to burden any of my fellow humans with such endangerment!
Collapse

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Just like me Oct 10, 2007

[quote]Henry Hinds wrote:

I do get along quite well with people when friendship, not work, is involved.

So that is why I choose to work alone, it suits me just fine. [quote]

Fine, I have choosen to be a translator exactly for the same reason. I like to drink a cup of coffee when I feel like, opening the windows even if it is cold outside, working late or early, not caring about fellow worker, having deadline but no hours to work and hours to rest......it is in fact my idea of "freedom"..

But I can have precious relationships with friends, family and also client but when it comes to work, I prefer being alone...

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Positive affirmation Oct 10, 2007

Let's all say it together now, "I have excellent professional interpersonal skills"!

Another one to add to our morning affirmations.

Actually there is a certain irony in the fact that translators, whose raison d'être is communication, can easily end up living in a kind of bubble, in which, due to excessive work loads, they rarely directly communicate with anyone at all !

Which is why I think it is good to spend some time in the forums...

[Edited a
... See more
Let's all say it together now, "I have excellent professional interpersonal skills"!

Another one to add to our morning affirmations.

Actually there is a certain irony in the fact that translators, whose raison d'être is communication, can easily end up living in a kind of bubble, in which, due to excessive work loads, they rarely directly communicate with anyone at all !

Which is why I think it is good to spend some time in the forums...

[Edited at 2007-10-10 12:11]
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Positive thinking Oct 10, 2007

Mark Nathan wrote:

That started my day right

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
forum Oct 12, 2007

"Which is why I think it is good to spend some time in the forums..."

Sometimes good to be here for another reason: after hard day with nervous clients or colleagues - yes, sometimes I feel, maybe they think I am an idiot and just try being nice?
I also like working late night, having deadline but no hours to work, but...since the translation company was founded, sometimes I hate the endless work, the endless fight with non-paying customers and having some hours to rest seems
... See more
"Which is why I think it is good to spend some time in the forums..."

Sometimes good to be here for another reason: after hard day with nervous clients or colleagues - yes, sometimes I feel, maybe they think I am an idiot and just try being nice?
I also like working late night, having deadline but no hours to work, but...since the translation company was founded, sometimes I hate the endless work, the endless fight with non-paying customers and having some hours to rest seems just a dream...

Professional interpersonal skills? Depends about the taste of the cup of coffee early morning
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I would rate my professional interpersonal skills as:

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »