Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Are there any words in your acquired language(s) you have difficulty in remembering?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:41
English to Turkish
+ ...
Hmm, I guess I got wedded on a Wednesday Oct 12, 2007

[No, I lied]

mediamatrix wrote:
And if your week started on Tuesday instead of Monday (as in Moneday), then I guess you'd have a mnemonic like "Thursday" sounds like "Third day".

And then "Friday" would be the "Fourth day", too.

What do you have in mind for Wednesday (day 2.5)?

But Hilary, thank you so much for this great tip:
Hilary Davies wrote:
"Tuesday" sounds like "TWOsday" (more or less, depending on your accent!), and it's the SECOND day of the week.

In fact, it's so simple and obvious that I feel silly I never thought of this before. Let me add my own mnemonic to it for Thursday, then. It is the 4th day, right? And four is "dört" in Turkish, pronounced almost exactly like the English "dirt", hence sounds similar to the "Thurs-" part of the day's name

[Edited at 2007-10-12 13:30]

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:41
Japanese to English
Easy! Oct 12, 2007

mediamatrix wrote:

When you're too confused to remember what number day you're up to, it must be Whensday, errr, I mean Wednesday.

/end_badjoke

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:41
English to Turkish
+ ...
I loved it! Oct 12, 2007

No bad joke at all

KathyT wrote:

mediamatrix wrote:

When you're too confused to remember what number day you're up to, it must be Whensday, errr, I mean Wednesday.

/end_badjoke

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 07:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, very droll ... Oct 12, 2007

Özden Arıkan wrote:

No bad joke at all

KathyT wrote:

mediamatrix wrote:

/end_badjoke

OK folks. Play-time's over . Back to work everyone!

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 06:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't want to rain on your parade, but... Oct 12, 2007

mediamatrix wrote:

OK folks. Play-time's over . Back to work everyone!

...if we must get back to the real world: for many of us, Tuesday is the third day of the week.

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 05:41
German to English
+ ...
ISO_8601 Oct 12, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

...if we must get back to the real world: for many of us, Tuesday is the third day of the week.

This is true for a lot of the US, certainly. Here in the EU, we even have an ISO which prescribes that the week starts on Monday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_the_week
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

Perhaps I should have specified "second day of the WORKING week" (after MOANday)).

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 06:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
TWOsday's OK with me! Oct 12, 2007

Hilary Davies wrote:

Perhaps I should have specified "second day of the WORKING week" (after MOANday)).

Yep, that would cover all of us--except that as a minister's wife, I also work on Sunday. MOANday morning is the one time I can sleep in!

Biblically: God rested on the seventh day (the Sabbath, Saturday) after a six-day workweek that began on Sunday; New Testament Christians met on the first day of the week, which was Sunday (and, again, a workday).

In my long-past, practically forgotten youth, all calendars (in the U.S.) had Sunday as the first day; when "weekend" calendars with Monday first came out, many saw it as an attack against Christianity. Eventually, we'll probably conform to the rest of the world. Or not!

As a confirmed user of mnemonics, I love this thread!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are there any words in your acquired language(s) you have difficulty in remembering?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »