Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Are you easily distracted from translating?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 06:51
SITE STAFF
Nov 11, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you easily distracted from translating?".

This poll was originally submitted by ryancolm

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629


Direct link Reply with quote
 
halifax
Italian to English
+ ...
No Nov 11, 2007

If I did, I think I'd better change my job.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
No Nov 11, 2007

Perhaps it has a lot to do with being a lawyer in mainstream practice - when everything revolved around the number of hours billed - but I still focus on earning as much as possible per hour.

Two reasons: firstly the money, obviously, and secondly, and more importantly, the less distracted I am, the more time I have off evenings and weekends to spend with my family and friends.

I went through a stage last year when a colleague bugged me incessantly on Skype with questions/very idle gossip. Since blocking her, which may not seem like a very "nice" thing to do (but it wasn't before warnings went unheeded), my productivity has soared.

Bottom line is, this is a job like any other. I aim to get it done quickly and correctly first time round - life is too short to be spent in front of a screen.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
unica  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 22:51
Italian to Tagalog
+ ...
No, I don't allow Nov 11, 2007

When I translate, my multitasking capability is turned off. I just don't allow myself to be distracted. No TV or music at all. I get so engrossed in translating and researching the terms. I usually answer chat messages during my break.

[Edited at 2007-11-11 16:07]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
no, but... Nov 11, 2007

I answered no because I find deadlines are wonderful for keeping me focused. I am actually a very easily distracted person (ADD) but being a translator is, perhaps, the first job where this is not a problem for me. Having to keep to strict deadlines is wonderful. I am able to keep my head down and keep working.

Give me a job with a distant deadline, however, and I am distracted by anything that moves or makes a sound. Inevitably it takes me about 80% of the time to do the first 20% of the job, and 20% of the time to do the remaining 80%!

paty


Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Absolutely yes Nov 11, 2007

Maybe it's a guy thing but my attention span is not what I'd call "long-lasting".

I do put my "pause" time to good use though by answering Kudoz questions or reading/participating in forums, polls, etc.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

webred
Belgium
Local time: 15:51
Member (2007)
German to Dutch
+ ...
no, but Nov 11, 2007

I chat with family and listen to the radio while translating. But this doesn't distract me at all, in contrary, without radio or any other sound around me, or without anyone to chat with, I wouldn't be able to concentrate enough... I had the same 'problem' (or tactic) during my studies.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 08:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Most of them Nov 11, 2007

I surf the net
Watch the news
Answer the phone
Check email
Prepare my classes
Grade exams
...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Aline Canino  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:51
Member (2007)
Chinese to French
+ ...
No Nov 11, 2007

Usually I can do 2 things or more in the same time but when I am translating I can't. I tried one time but I forgot what I was reading just before, get angry against myself and...return to translation.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:51
English to Spanish
... Nov 11, 2007

Exactly my situation, from the ADD to the time-management peculiarity when faced with distant deadlines.
patyjs wrote:

I answered no because I find deadlines are wonderful for keeping me focused. I am actually a very easily distracted person (ADD) but being a translator is, perhaps, the first job where this is not a problem for me. Having to keep to strict deadlines is wonderful. I am able to keep my head down and keep working.

Give me a job with a distant deadline, however, and I am distracted by anything that moves or makes a sound. Inevitably it takes me about 80% of the time to do the first 20% of the job, and 20% of the time to do the remaining 80%!

paty



Glad to know I'm not alone




[Edited at 2007-11-11 21:34]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:51
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Chat + Skype: the best break at night Nov 11, 2007

Whenever I have a tight deadline and must work during the night, I help get going with short chats with friends who are awake.

I don't consider this really a "distraction", but a much-needed human touch in an otherwise unending routine (yes: lately, working late at night has turned out to be a routine).


Direct link Reply with quote
 
No Nov 12, 2007

I can do more than one thing at a time .... internet researching, check email while running two computers, answer the phone, answering skype or MS messenger, check the oven for proper temperature for my baking, look outside for possible Fedex and other carrier delivery, answering the door for occassional visitors, make tea to quench my thirst, etc., all these while I am translating.

Then check ProZ for interesting KudoZ questions or poll questions just to get my mind off from demanding translation job too.
I'm seldom distructed or carried away for further surfing or other things, and immediately go back to translating.

I must be a single-minded multitasker, hah?

[Edited at 2007-11-12 02:07]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:51
Italian to English
+ ...
No Nov 12, 2007

That's not to say that I don't take frequent short breaks, especially when I'm in the revising stage, and I do tend to look at incoming emails straightaway. But they're not distractions - that's just the way I work.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 06:51
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
I cracked up when I saw the videogames option Nov 12, 2007

I spent the last three days beating the Xbox version of Ninja Gaiden on "Very Hard" - I guess anyone who has ever played the game knows why it took me around 30 hours to do so (also, my wife's not home and I cut one of my fingers while cooking, so I can't practice guitar or piano right now - both very encouraging elements to play that much). But I didn't start playing until I finished my work for each day, so I guess my answer is "no." I can take breaks and stop working for a bit, but I don't get distracted per se while I'm working on something.

I do, however, listen to music while I'm translating (but not during proofreading, it short-circuits my brain).

[Edited at 2007-11-12 08:56]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ieva Jirgensone
Local time: 15:51
German to Latvian
+ ...
yes, other Nov 12, 2007

I do the following: choose "start-->programs-->games-->free cell/spider solitaire/minesweeper"

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you easily distracted from translating?

Advanced search






Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs