Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How often do new clients request to see copies of your credentials?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 15, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do new clients request to see copies of your credentials?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

lorette
lorette  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:58
German to French
+ ...
once in three years Nov 15, 2007

Jocelyne S
Jocelyne S  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
"Rarely" Nov 15, 2007

I chose "Sometimes" but "Rarely" would have been much more accurate.

It has happened but is not common practice. I haven't even had to provide a full resumé in awhile, which is actually a bad thing as it means that it's no longer all that up to date and will take some time updating next time someone asks for it. For now, I'm too busy to think about it anyhow.

Best,
Jocelyne

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:58
French to English
+ ...
And strangely enough... Nov 15, 2007

.... the ones that do are invariably those that never come back with any concrete work. Especially if they've asked for a test translation too.

You wonder whether it's worth the effort....

I answered sometimes, by the way - more often than not people are happy to go by your profile/recommendation.

[Edited at 2007-11-15 13:32]

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Once in 22 years Nov 15, 2007

And I didn't bother to send them, but got the job (and repeat work) anyway

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
... Nov 15, 2007

Claire Cox wrote:

.... the ones that do are invariably those that never come back with any concrete work. Especially if they've asked for a test translation too.

You wonder whether it's worth the effort....

I answered sometimes, by the way - more often than not people are happy to go by your profile/recommendation.

[Edited at 2007-11-15 13:32]

It's odd but very true. I have found that with 1 very notable exception, the amount of hoop-jumping an agency makes you do is inversely proportional to the amount of work they send you afterwards

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 18:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Once Nov 15, 2007

Clients and translation agencies have never asked for that. In fact, I had to submit copies of all my university diplomas for a large tender.

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 19:58
German to English
+ ...
So true Nov 15, 2007

Konstantin Kisin wrote:
I have found that with 1 very notable exception, the amount of hoop-jumping an agency makes you do is inversely proportional to the amount of work they send you afterwards

So true!! It seems to be the big agencies who make you fill out billions of forms, do huge test translations and provide references in triplicate - and then never get back to you with work! I've given up form-filling for the time being, since I'm happy with my current client base. Perhaps if work ever slows down, I'll actually tackle that stack of "Vendor Questionnaires" gathering dust on the shelf...

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Never Nov 15, 2007

I've never been asked to supply certificates, diplomas, etc. I couldn't provide them now anyway - they're long lost in the mists of antiquity.
I agree about the hoop-jumping. The big ring-masters never seem to provide any actual work.
Regards,
Jenny.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The proof is in the pudding Nov 15, 2007

When I outsource I just give an initial job and see how the translator handles it.

I really couldn't care less if you dropped out of elementary school or whatever. What matters to me is if you do your job well.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:58
French to Spanish
+ ...
Dont' have any. Nov 16, 2007

So I don't think their too important.
I do what I do, I do it all right. Everybody knows that in Mexico. And that's enough.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:58
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Incredible statistics Nov 16, 2007

What incredible figures - 60 percent - that's 600 people out of 1000, say they have NEVER, ever been asked for any credentials. 'Never' is a very strong word! Does that mean that if I say I've got a PhD in Translation at Cambridge University for example (and no I don't) that 60% of the translation agencies are going to believe me (or let's be more accurate, not going to show a blind bit of interest)?

30% say only 'sometimes'!

Only 2-3% say they are asked for credentials
... See more
What incredible figures - 60 percent - that's 600 people out of 1000, say they have NEVER, ever been asked for any credentials. 'Never' is a very strong word! Does that mean that if I say I've got a PhD in Translation at Cambridge University for example (and no I don't) that 60% of the translation agencies are going to believe me (or let's be more accurate, not going to show a blind bit of interest)?

Only 2-3% say they are asked for credentials on a regular basis.

Does that mean we can lie on our C.V.s and hardly anyone is going to care? I HOPE NOT and I'm not going to start, but I'm extremely surprised by these figures. Saying that though, I've never been asked to prove my credentials by an agency either, but I have been asked to do translation tests on many occasions.

Great post and an eye-opening amount of feedback...
Collapse

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:58
English to Russian
+ ...
Professionalism is translator's most trustworthy credential! Nov 16, 2007

In my opinion, the best credential of a translator is his or her professionalism. I met many people with heaps of diplomas and certificates who were unable to make a meanigful translation.

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
rarely Nov 16, 2007

chose "Sometimes" but "Rarely" would have been much more accurate.

had to submit copies of all my university diplomas for a large tender..

I was about to post a question on forum inquiring about the following:
What about agencies refusing to issue a reference letter, while they asked for reference before assigning the work?

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Possible to lie on CV - but hardly wise! Nov 16, 2007

Richard Jenkins wrote:

Only 2-3% say they are asked for credentials on a regular basis.

Does that mean we can lie on our C.V.s and hardly anyone is going to care? I HOPE NOT and I'm not going to start, but I'm extremely surprised by these figures. Saying that though, I've never been asked to prove my credentials by an agency either, but I have been asked to do translation tests on many occasions.

Great post and an eye-opening amount of feedback...

Hullo Richard,
As you say, it would certainly be possible to lie about one's qualifications on a CV, and doubtless some people do, but it would hardly be wise. Surely, the lack of ability would show up in practice sooner or later. (Perhaps that's why we get so many annoying, elementary Kudoz questions?)
As many have said, professional performance and experience seem to be what most clients want and appreciate.
I've read in other Proz postings that occasinally whole CVs have been hijacked by someone else. Extraordinary but apparently true.
But it's true, as far as I can remember I have NEVER been asked to present my certificates and diplomas - but I have, of course, often been asked for references.
Yes, eye-opening feedback.
Regards,
Jenny.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do new clients request to see copies of your credentials?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »