Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What do you give most importance to when you receive a job offer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Local time: 04:37
Italian to English
+ ...
Can't Separate The Three Nov 26, 2007

As others have mentioned, the three go together, like leaves on a shamrock.

Other factors, as mentioned, are familiarity with the customer: often one gives priority to a regular customer, even at the expense, perhaps, of a slightly lower rate (one in the hand, two in the bush sort of thing).

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:37
English to Dutch
+ ...
Subject Nov 26, 2007

First thing to consider when receiving a *serious* job offer, is the subject matter. If the subject is not something I can handle confidently, the other consideration factors become irrelevant.

Low-paying jobs are usually not worth considering at all.

moken
moken  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
subject and client Jan 17, 2008

As pointed out by many, what motivates me most when translating is the subject and the degree of satisfaction obtained from the job.

I am actually quite socially motivated. When I'm forced to choose, I prefer to take a document about the post-war situation in Congo for a (paying) non-profit than a medical translation paying me double. This is my common practice when I'm not absolutely desperate for the extra pennies - which does happen.

Coupled with this is the client
... See more
As pointed out by many, what motivates me most when translating is the subject and the degree of satisfaction obtained from the job.

I am actually quite socially motivated. When I'm forced to choose, I prefer to take a document about the post-war situation in Congo for a (paying) non-profit than a medical translation paying me double. This is my common practice when I'm not absolutely desperate for the extra pennies - which does happen.

Coupled with this is the client him/herself. I award priority to my long-standing clients, and those I have a better relationship with: if I am approached simultaneously by a high-paying client who I know little of or with whom personals relationships have proved to be somewhat testing and by another, lower-paying client who I get along really well with and who I enjoy working with, again I would sooner choose the latter.

As I say, this approach means that my financial limits are often put to a test and I can't always do what I'd most like to, but if we're speaking of what we award most importance to and thus our priorities, then the above.

))
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you give most importance to when you receive a job offer?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »