Poll: Do you have your own business cards?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 6, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have your own business cards?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:26
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, and we use them... Dec 6, 2007

....and we give them away whenever we can. We included our logo, website and expertise, together with the basic contact info. We made them double-faced, in Spanish and English.

Business cards are important to our profession. We, translators, are entrepreneurs and should act accordingly. Business cards are part of our business.

Cheers,

Letty

PS: Don't forget to take them to powwows and conferences!

[Edited at 2007-12-06 14:10]

Elin Davies
Elin Davies  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Welsh
+ ...
No opportunity to use them Dec 6, 2007

The only clients I have that I ever met face to face are people I used to work with before becoming a freelancer and friends or acquaintances who already have my contact details. Every other contact I make is either by email enquiry or phone so spending time and money on designing and printing business cards would be rather futile. I have up to date versions of my cv (more than one as I have different language versions, and for different markets and so forth) ready to go at all times as that is... See more
The only clients I have that I ever met face to face are people I used to work with before becoming a freelancer and friends or acquaintances who already have my contact details. Every other contact I make is either by email enquiry or phone so spending time and money on designing and printing business cards would be rather futile. I have up to date versions of my cv (more than one as I have different language versions, and for different markets and so forth) ready to go at all times as that is much more useful.

Elin
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Used to... Dec 6, 2007

I used to have business cards and then when they ran out I never got them reprinted. I seem to get a sufficient yet manageable amount of work without them, even with my periodic and sometimes long absences from my base. It also seems that people have no trouble getting my cell phone number.

As long as things continue like that, I'm happy.

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Free Business Cards Dec 6, 2007

I came across a deal a while back for free business cards at www.vistaprint.com, which operates in many countries. I looked hard for some catch in the deal, but there was none. 250 business cards for free, designed in 2 minutes on their website, you only pay the shipping.

They have been very handy in spreading news about my services and have got me quite a number of jobs in 4 different continent
... See more
I came across a deal a while back for free business cards at www.vistaprint.com, which operates in many countries. I looked hard for some catch in the deal, but there was none. 250 business cards for free, designed in 2 minutes on their website, you only pay the shipping.

They have been very handy in spreading news about my services and have got me quite a number of jobs in 4 different continents.
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but I don't use them. Dec 6, 2007

Actually that's a lie - they come in very handy for writing down notes on the back and keeping in my purse...

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
It's been on the "to do" list for the last five years... Dec 6, 2007

Apart from at Proz conferences and powwows, I doubt they'd get used much, but I do feel slightly unprofessional at never having got round to doing it yet.

Edits: It was on the to do list... thanks to Nicholas' link, I have now ordered some business cards and am excitedly awaiting delivery.

As for the catch, either they'll put all sorts of nasty spyware in my computer (which I'll search and destroy), or they get th
... See more
Apart from at Proz conferences and powwows, I doubt they'd get used much, but I do feel slightly unprofessional at never having got round to doing it yet.

Edits: It was on the to do list... thanks to Nicholas' link, I have now ordered some business cards and am excitedly awaiting delivery.

As for the catch, either they'll put all sorts of nasty spyware in my computer (which I'll search and destroy), or they get their profit from the prices they charge for delivery. Anyway, I'm happy

[Edited at 2007-12-06 18:42]
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Their name is on the backside Dec 6, 2007

Nicholas Ferreira wrote:

They have been very handy in spreading news about my services and have got me quite a number of jobs in 4 different continents.

The name 'VistaPrint' is on the backside in small print, that's the 'catch'.
I have seen quite a lot of them in various designs and they look really good.

At the moment, I'm in the process of designing my own business cards, but I'm still using the ones I had printed with VistaPrint. I've had them for two years, and only last week I met a colleague who had chosen the exact same design. Exchanging them was really funny.

Miguel Miranda
Miguel Miranda  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:26
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Dec 6, 2007

What's the point?

Rocio Barrientos
Rocio Barrientos  Identity Verified
Bolivia
English to Spanish
+ ...
face to face or invisible clients Dec 6, 2007

Miguel Miranda wrote:

What's the point?

There is a great article here in ProZ about "invisible clients"

Usually cards are used when meeting someone face-to-face; but not always, when I send hard copies (for legal reasons or whatever other reason) I always attach my card, and people do keep them and call back. So I think it is a good idea to have cards, send cards, etc.

GreetingZ

Rocío

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 6, 2007

and one of their uses is to mail with greeting cards, since it's about one of the seasons.

Understand, I prefer to sign greeting cards, but not with my family name (it looks so stiff) and I have such a common first name that a little reminder doesn't go amiss (oh, THAT one!)

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Digital business cards, too Dec 7, 2007

When I ordered my free cards from vista, I spent a couple of bucks more and got a digital version as well. I used to attach it to my emails. I have moved and need to get some new ones printed; if they still offer the digital card, I'll get it again.

BTW, if you don't like their unobtrusive one-line ad on the back, you can order cards without it. The price is still reasonable, IMO.

It's not just for business contacts; lots of my friends find it handy when I give them my
... See more
When I ordered my free cards from vista, I spent a couple of bucks more and got a digital version as well. I used to attach it to my emails. I have moved and need to get some new ones printed; if they still offer the digital card, I'll get it again.

BTW, if you don't like their unobtrusive one-line ad on the back, you can order cards without it. The price is still reasonable, IMO.

It's not just for business contacts; lots of my friends find it handy when I give them my contact info on a card instead of scribbling it on a scrap of paper that always gets lost.
Collapse

Michael GREEN
Michael GREEN  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Well .... Dec 7, 2007

Miguel Miranda wrote:

What's the point?

Business cards are so essential to business that I can't imagine life without them .... but I've been using them for many years.
Perhaps it's a matter of habit.
Nonetheless, when I send out written quotes (that still happens), or invoices, or hard-copy of translations, or brochures (I produce my own) or any other document which is not simply a letter, I consider it a courtesy to attach my business card with or without a short note from me.
And at trade shows, or any other professional get-together, exchanging business cards is a ritual that one can't afford to duck.

They don't cost very much, and they stay with your contact long after the immediate business has been completed. It works both ways. I have about 1000 or more given me by my contacts, and I consult them frequently.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have your own business cards?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »