Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: If you could afford a gap year, you'd...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 7, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you could afford a gap year, you'd...".

This poll was originally submitted by Manuel Martín-Iguacel

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more inform
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you could afford a gap year, you'd...".

This poll was originally submitted by Manuel Martín-Iguacel

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:29
Member (2004)
English to French
I'd like to spend a year in Russia Dec 7, 2007

To relearn my mother tongue

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:29
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely Dec 7, 2007

Definitely, I'd travel around the world. IMO, travelling enriches your live and opens your mind.

Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living. (Miriam Beard)

Love

Letty

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:29
French to Portuguese
+ ...
If I could afford a gap year Dec 7, 2007

I'd continue working.

Surely, I was tempted to answer "travel around the world", but thinking realistically, how would I live one year after, so I'd have to keep on working (probably not taking on so much work, and taking time for my hobbies and to travel at least twice that year...).

Aline Canino
Aline Canino  Identity Verified
France
Chinese to French
+ ...
Travel Dec 7, 2007

I think I would take the time to visit and discover other countries, cultures, habits... I would also take more time for my hobbies which is something I usually can't afford because there is only 24H a day!

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Continue working, but without the pressure. Dec 7, 2007

I chose "continue working" because:
a) I wouldn't want to lose clients.
b) I'm still building my CV--another book or two would round it off nicely.
c) I love to translate!

I would, though, quit teaching for that year. I enjoy teaching translation, but it ties me down. In my gap year, I would translate only what I want to translate, and travel in between.

On the other hand, I'd love to use that year to study, beginning with French, and maybe some litera
... See more
I chose "continue working" because:
a) I wouldn't want to lose clients.
b) I'm still building my CV--another book or two would round it off nicely.
c) I love to translate!

I would, though, quit teaching for that year. I enjoy teaching translation, but it ties me down. In my gap year, I would translate only what I want to translate, and travel in between.

On the other hand, I'd love to use that year to study, beginning with French, and maybe some literature courses.

May I have 2 gap years, please?
Collapse

Catherine Shepherd
Catherine Shepherd  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
Definitely travel Dec 7, 2007

We're talking about IF we could afford it, so I'm assuming it's an ideal world, as in, we wouldn't lose any clients and we would still have enough money to survive a few months when we got back until we earned enough money again to pay for rent and food!

If this was the case, I'd definitely travel around the world. Actually, money is the only reason I don't travel more...

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:29
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Dec 7, 2007

I would combine occupations listed in all variants of answers in this poll, in a word, I would live this year for myself and my belowed ones!

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Decisions, decisions Dec 7, 2007

This poll was like having a platter of delicacies placed before you and then being told to choose just one

How about 5 or 6 gap years to try all of them?

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
IDEAL Dec 7, 2007

John Cutler wrote:

This poll was like having a platter of delicacies placed before you and then being told to choose just one

How about 5 or 6 gap years to try all of them?

Well, THAT would be ideal

Letty

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I've done it :) Dec 7, 2007

I had a beautiful gap year back in 99/00, when I travelled for a full year around Asia, under the guise of a "honeymoon". I would do it again any time (but now, with two toddlers in tow, we'd wouldn't be able to "rough it" as we did back then...)

cs.

Leena vom Hofe
Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
take a whole "baby year" Dec 7, 2007

Hi there

I'd take one year only for my baby which will be born in april! This would be really great!

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
I did it Dec 7, 2007

Took a gap year (or four) to learn a new career - Translation.

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Study Dec 7, 2007

I would love to pursue a new undergraduate degree just for kicks (I'm not interested in chang¡ng careers, I just want to learn something new and I really, really miss the University environment), though I would need quite a bit more than 1 year for that

So, given that undergraduate studies are almost certainly out of the question unless a I won a big enough lottery prize to afford full-time studies + a decent living d
... See more
I would love to pursue a new undergraduate degree just for kicks (I'm not interested in chang¡ng careers, I just want to learn something new and I really, really miss the University environment), though I would need quite a bit more than 1 year for that

So, given that undergraduate studies are almost certainly out of the question unless a I won a big enough lottery prize to afford full-time studies + a decent living during 4 to 5 years, I am currently saving money to pursue postgraduate studies next year, in an area quite different from translation that nonetheless caught my attention precisely due to translation.

[Edited at 2007-12-07 18:01]
Collapse

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 05:29
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Me too, dunnit Dec 7, 2007

Csaba Ban wrote:
I had a beautiful gap year back in 99/00, when I travelled for a full year ...

When I was 25 and about to graduate as an Architect, the whole group of students (more than 200) travelled through Mexico, USA, Canada, Egypt, Israel, Turkey and all of Europe (including relatively far-away places such as Norway, Northern Finland and Russia). An unforgettable experience - in particular from the human point of view.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you could afford a gap year, you'd...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »