Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: What kind of music do you listen to while working?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 12, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What kind of music do you listen to while working?".

This poll was originally submitted by Anne Diamantidis

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more i
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What kind of music do you listen to while working?".

This poll was originally submitted by Anne Diamantidis

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Cristina Golab
Cristina Golab  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
No music at all Dec 12, 2007

I cannot translate while listening to music. It totally distracts me.

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to French
I only listen to music when I proofread Dec 12, 2007

but not when I translate. It's mandatory while working in-house, with all the distractions around.

Maximiliano Jozami (X)
Maximiliano Jozami (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tupac Shakur Dec 12, 2007

For me it's easier to concentrate listening to some good music, particularly if I use headphones.

I remember this 200,000 words translation to be delivered within 10 days (of course, I had to share a big part of it with some colleagues; and the agency paid me 6 months later, after sending them a collection co, geeeee!!!)... I could only make it listening to the good old Tupac Shakur...

Yesterday, I was doing some legal translation while listen to Ella Fitzgerald & Louis
... See more
For me it's easier to concentrate listening to some good music, particularly if I use headphones.

I remember this 200,000 words translation to be delivered within 10 days (of course, I had to share a big part of it with some colleagues; and the agency paid me 6 months later, after sending them a collection co, geeeee!!!)... I could only make it listening to the good old Tupac Shakur...

Yesterday, I was doing some legal translation while listen to Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong, and on October-November I worked listening to Queen.

I actually cannot listen to music when proofreading... Weird, it's the opposite to what Cristina posted...

Nice topic!

[Edited at 2007-12-12 14:33]
Collapse

Aurélie DANIEL
Aurélie DANIEL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
Very much depends Dec 12, 2007

On my mood, the subject, the level of difficulty.

Usually I prefer silence, but sometimes music gives me rythm and motivation. And when I want music I prefer classical, or anything without lyrics. I like some New Age/meditation from time to time, but it is sooo difficult to find good music in this genre.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Anything that blocks but doesn't distract Dec 12, 2007

Which would normally be instrumental classical music, but even then I have to choose carefully - I can get sent off into a reverie, or presto movements can make me make more than average number of typos per minute.

Complete silence is also an attractive option, but that doesn't block out incidental noise which can be screened by music. Some interruptions are inevitable, but with the musical screen I don't get so distracted by third party sounds which aren't approaching me directly.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
The sweet sound of slience Dec 12, 2007

When I am listening to music, I like to analyze it and really get into a given tune. I can't readily do this while I am translating or proofreading. I can, interestingly enough, listen to music while I'm reading a book.

Nevertheless, I always listen to either the radio or music while doing administrative work.

[Edited at 2007-12-12 15:24]

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:13
English to Arabic
+ ...
Whatever the radio will throw at me Dec 12, 2007

Nina Khmielnitzky wrote:

but not when I translate. It's mandatory while working in-house, with all the distractions around.

I'm just the opposite of you, Nina. I can listen to anything while translating, but if I'm proofreading/re-reading my translation, it's got to be absolute silence.

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:13
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Complete silence Dec 12, 2007

Although I am listening to music today. I am very sleepy...

I know I'll then have to proof-read what I am translating quite well....

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Silence please! Dec 12, 2007

No music, ever. Either I'm working or I'm listening to music - not both.

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 15:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depneding on the topic Dec 12, 2007

Depending on the topic I need absolute silence. Sometimes I listen to soft music in English and in Spanish. Today I'm with ABBA, but it's proving quite distracting, so I'll change for absolute silence or classical.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
ditto here! Dec 12, 2007

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

No music, ever. Either I'm working or I'm listening to music - not both.

For me, it's not just the act of translation, but in general, I'm not drawn to music in the same way I was when I was younger. When I was little, I loved classical music, but when I hit my teens and into my 40s, all I wanted to do was rock out (think aerobics!).

By 50, everything shifted, and although I enjoy music now and again, I prefer to pay close attention to it (even during casual conversations, the presence of music can annoy me). When I'm translating, SILENCE IS GOLDEN!

I thought that perhaps something was wrong with me, so I'm glad to see that others have had the same reaction ...

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Can't work without music Dec 12, 2007

Not only can I not work without music, I simply can't live without music!

I will listen to anything as long as it is not too energetic, has no voice (I don't want to be singing along) or has voice but in a foreign language I don't understand. I am open to all kinds of music - if you ask me what my kind of music is, I'll just tell you it's the good kind. As long as the music is of quality, I'll listen to it.

Lately, I've been listening to Takk by Sigur Ros while working
... See more
Not only can I not work without music, I simply can't live without music!

I will listen to anything as long as it is not too energetic, has no voice (I don't want to be singing along) or has voice but in a foreign language I don't understand. I am open to all kinds of music - if you ask me what my kind of music is, I'll just tell you it's the good kind. As long as the music is of quality, I'll listen to it.

Lately, I've been listening to Takk by Sigur Ros while working - it's in beautiful Icelandic so there's not a chance I'll sing along. It is also rather calm and full of images of landscapes (at least, it's the effect it has on me personally). To me, it's perfect music to listen to while working.

[Edited at 2007-12-12 17:07]
Collapse

swisstell
swisstell
Italy
German to English
+ ...
what about good old Jazz ? Dec 12, 2007

incl. Swing and Blues - why is that not even listed?

Shaojie Huang
Shaojie Huang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:13
Chinese to English
+ ...
Silence, period. Dec 12, 2007

How some people can ever work with any sound in the background is beyond me. Which shows how differently human intelligence works for different people. I just need absolute silence whenever I get serious.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What kind of music do you listen to while working?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »