Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: My favorite quote / famous saying
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 15, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "My favorite quote / famous saying".

This poll was originally submitted by John Cutler

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "My favorite quote / famous saying".

This poll was originally submitted by John Cutler

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:21
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My favorite Dec 15, 2007

Hi!

I don´t know if you can call them quotes or sayings, but these are my favorite:

http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-laws.html

Regards,
Marina

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 14:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Inspirational Dec 16, 2007

Man's inhumanity to Man makes countless thousands mourn.

(Robert Burns)

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 14:21
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Work related Dec 16, 2007

Chileans use plenty of sayings, and several come to mind that I hear often. My favorite one is "Pastelero a tus pasteles". Literally, it means "Pastry chef, to your pastries", and its underlying meaning is "Do what you were trained to do or what you're good at"... See more
Chileans use plenty of sayings, and several come to mind that I hear often. My favorite one is "Pastelero a tus pasteles". Literally, it means "Pastry chef, to your pastries", and its underlying meaning is "Do what you were trained to do or what you're good at".

The saying comes up in situations where people try to do things in areas for which they do not have the proper training. In a world that is becoming more high tech and specialized, I believe I am going to hear this phrase more and more in the coming years.

[Edited at 2007-12-16 03:55]
Collapse

jokerman
jokerman
Germany
Local time: 20:21
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
among my favs... Dec 16, 2007

"to live outside the law you must be honest." [Bob Dylan]

and

"Remember: No fear, no envy, no meaningness"

[Bearbeitet am 2007-12-16 17:50]

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 11:21
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Sometimes it's easy to forget where you're going...sometimes it's harder to leave Dec 16, 2007

It's from a Guns n' Roses song, of all things. I don't like it because it's particularly profound - I just think it's clever and I like the sound of it!

What? You didn't really think I was going to go with something deep and philosophical here, did ya?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
"Excuse me, I can't stand up" Dec 16, 2007

This is what Groucho Marx wanted for his epitaph. I'd say that yes, indeed this has something humorous to it, but to me it's tremendously inspirational and talks about the human being. Specially the fact that the heirs did not allow the line in the stone... :-/ Sounds like they did not respect Groucho much, which is sad.

[Edited at 2007-12-16 07:37]

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:21
English to Russian
+ ...
wisdom Dec 16, 2007

God. grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference!

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
It's become a bit of a cliche, but I like it anyway... Dec 16, 2007

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:51
German to English
Gandhi quotes Dec 16, 2007

Three famous quotes by Mahatma Gandhi:

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."

"There is more to life than simply increasing its speed."

"We must be the change we wish to see."

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Taken from a Walt Disney story :) Dec 16, 2007

If you can't overcome the obstacle, go around it.

I read it many years ago on a Walt Disney story and still remember it. Isn't it also called lateral thinking?

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
The proof of the pudding Dec 16, 2007

"To translate into one's native language only" is a dictum I disagree with. Isn't the proof of the pudding is in the eating, not in the prejudice.

[Edited at 2007-12-16 10:17]

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
The measure of my success is my joy Dec 16, 2007

By Abraham-Hicks. As well these ones, same author: My joy doesn't depend upon the approval of others. - I am selfish enough to want to feel good. - Whatever I give attention to--wanted or unwanted--I am creating.

I voted "inspirational".

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Favourite... Dec 16, 2007

book, song, food, car, etc? Sorry, none, but enjoy these:

"I haven't written a word - except for some correspondence - since last September 8, when I finished my translation of Ibsen's Ghosts."
Lanford Wilson

Poor man. I bet he did a good job.

"Translation is like a woman. If it is beautiful, it is not faithful. If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful."
Yevgeny Yevtushenko

Not sure that I
... See more
book, song, food, car, etc? Sorry, none, but enjoy these:

"I haven't written a word - except for some correspondence - since last September 8, when I finished my translation of Ibsen's Ghosts."
Lanford Wilson

Poor man. I bet he did a good job.

"Translation is like a woman. If it is beautiful, it is not faithful. If it is faithful, it is most certainly not beautiful."
Yevgeny Yevtushenko

Not sure that I agree, old friend.

"A translation is no translation," he said, "unless it will give you the music of a poem along with the words of it."
John Millington Synge

Beautiful.

"Fantastic writing in English is kind of disreputable, but fantastic writing in translation is the summit."
Jonathan Lethem

Gimme more!

"By reason of weird translation, many such sets of instructions read like poems anyhow."
Brian Ferneyhough

To read
Haiku book
Open cover page.

"A firm, for instance, that does business in many countries of the world is driven to spend an enormous amount of time, labour, and money in providing for translation services."
Edward Sapir

Apart from being a very distinguished linguist, he also seems to have been quite a visionary (1884 - 1939).

Happy New Year!
Collapse

Eliza-Anna
Eliza-Anna  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Danish to English
+ ...
My favourite Dec 16, 2007

I often change my mind and much depends on the mood I am in. However, at the moment my favourite it by Nikos Kazantzakis (Cretan philosopher 1883 - 1957):

"Freedom - it's but a scornful lonely song that the wind has taken."

I look forward to the day when my Greek is good enough for me to read his works. From what I have read in translation, I think he was brilliant!

I also like:

"Go into this world in peace, be of good courage, hold fast to t
... See more
I often change my mind and much depends on the mood I am in. However, at the moment my favourite it by Nikos Kazantzakis (Cretan philosopher 1883 - 1957):

"Freedom - it's but a scornful lonely song that the wind has taken."

I look forward to the day when my Greek is good enough for me to read his works. From what I have read in translation, I think he was brilliant!

I also like:

"Go into this world in peace, be of good courage, hold fast to that which is good, render for no man evil for evil, strengthen the faint hearted and support the weak."

[Edited at 2007-12-16 13:31]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: My favorite quote / famous saying

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »