Mobile menu

Poll: Do you recommend colleagues you know when you're too busy to accept a job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 18:33
SITE STAFF
Jan 2, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you recommend colleagues you know when you're too busy to accept a job?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:33
English to Dutch
+ ...
When asked to Jan 2, 2008

Not spontaneously.

I do recommend colleagues I know if I'm asked to take part in a team, and if the team is already formed, I try to get to know the other translators in it.

In my experience, most outsourcers have some sort of short list for favourite translators, so naming a colleague they do not already know is rarely useful.

Also, I don't recommend anyone if I haven't seen a sample of their work. Just knowing someone is not enough; a good person is not necessarily a good translator and vice versa.

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
A delicate issue at times Jan 2, 2008

First of all, Happy New Year/Feliz Año Nuevo/Bon Any Nou!

I answered yes, but really I only recommend one other colleague. I’ve known her for nearly 20 years and we’ve collaborated on several projects over the years and still do on a regular basis.

I would have to know someone personally and quite well before I was willing to put my own reputation on the line by recommending them. If they didn’t do a good job, and there was a problem, I would feel personally responsible (whether I should or not) and that could put a dent in even a good friendship.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree ... Jan 2, 2008

John Cutler wrote:

First of all, Happy New Year/Feliz Año Nuevo/Bon Any Nou!

I answered yes, but really I only recommend one other colleague. I’ve known her for nearly 20 years and we’ve collaborated on several projects over the years and still do on a regular basis.

I would have to know someone personally and quite well before I was willing to put my own reputation on the line by recommending them. If they didn’t do a good job, and there was a problem, I would feel personally responsible (whether I should or not) and that could put a dent in even a good friendship.

... 100%

Happy New Year too!

[Edited at 2008-01-02 13:17]

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:33
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I offer Jan 2, 2008

I have on occasion offered to recommend someone else, usually to private clients, when either the language combination or the subject matter is not within my area of expertise. There are a few translators whom I feel I know well enough to recommend them (of course always with the warning that I can't give any guarantees). I feel that this way I am more helpful to the client than if I just left them to fend for themselves.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you recommend colleagues you know when you're too busy to accept a job?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs