Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: I personally work best when I have a:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 24, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I personally work best when I have a:".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:19
Italian to English
+ ...
Tight deadline Jan 24, 2008

Although just "I personally work when I have a tight deadline" would be almost as accurate!

Pavel Janoušek
Pavel Janoušek  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
German to Czech
+ ...
Hate no or extra long deadlines Jan 24, 2008

Actually, what is a tight deadline? I hate deadlines like "send it over when it's done" or a deadline of two weeks for five pages. Then I usually put the translation off until it is really urgent. And so most of my deadlines are more or less tight.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
Yes, I'm a master at procrastinating until it's urgent too! Jan 24, 2008

Pavel Janoušek wrote:

Actually, what is a tight deadline? I hate deadlines like "send it over when it's done" or a deadline of two weeks for five pages. Then I usually put the translation off until it is really urgent. And so most of my deadlines are more or less tight.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Long deadlines are best for me Jan 24, 2008

I like long deadlines and usually seem to be able to wrangle them out of clients. I need them for two reasons:

1. I have a lot of work and so need the time to get things done and

2. I'm a born procrastinator. I even wear a T-shirt that proclaims, "Procrastinators of the world unite - tomorrow."
I should probably have another T-shirt made with my own personal favorite saying, "Why procrastinate bef
... See more
I like long deadlines and usually seem to be able to wrangle them out of clients. I need them for two reasons:

1. I have a lot of work and so need the time to get things done and

2. I'm a born procrastinator. I even wear a T-shirt that proclaims, "Procrastinators of the world unite - tomorrow."
I should probably have another T-shirt made with my own personal favorite saying, "Why procrastinate before you have to?"

That having been said, I've never missed a deadline and usually even hand things in early.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
The thing is that here, in this part of Spain, Jan 24, 2008

... almost every client comes to you saying "it's urgent", as if they thought you wouldn't do it quickly enough unless they said that.
Most of the time it is obvious that they simply do not factor in translation time when planning their projects. There is a name for this typical ad hoc way of doing things in Valenciano - "pensat y fet"...
I never tire of nagging my clients to try to give reasonable deadlines, because even though I always try to comply with the deadlines demanded, if
... See more
... almost every client comes to you saying "it's urgent", as if they thought you wouldn't do it quickly enough unless they said that.
Most of the time it is obvious that they simply do not factor in translation time when planning their projects. There is a name for this typical ad hoc way of doing things in Valenciano - "pensat y fet"...
I never tire of nagging my clients to try to give reasonable deadlines, because even though I always try to comply with the deadlines demanded, if all of my regular clients turn up on the same day with "urgent" jobs, I have to juggle them somehow or put at least one off until I can deal with the others...

[Edited at 2008-01-24 17:10]
Collapse

Ágata Sousa
Ágata Sousa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:19
English to Portuguese
Another "master at procrastinating" Jan 24, 2008

Procrastinate on and on. So I work a lot better – actually, I really WORK – with pressure

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 19:19
English to Greek
+ ...
Somewhere in the middle Jan 24, 2008

I prefer medium deadlines, which help me be productive AND creative (because it's not all about production...) without getting pressed. Usually, before actually agreeing on a project, I send my clients a schedule, proposing the deadline that would best fit me (bearing, of course, in mind their own needs). I have noticed that, once they realize that I do care for their project, and not just "mind my own business", they become really cooperative (unless, of course, it's something really urgent).<... See more
I prefer medium deadlines, which help me be productive AND creative (because it's not all about production...) without getting pressed. Usually, before actually agreeing on a project, I send my clients a schedule, proposing the deadline that would best fit me (bearing, of course, in mind their own needs). I have noticed that, once they realize that I do care for their project, and not just "mind my own business", they become really cooperative (unless, of course, it's something really urgent).

[Edited at 2008-01-25 09:29]

[Edited at 2008-01-25 09:30]
Collapse

Yoanna
Yoanna  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:19
English to Polish
+ ...
Just like... Jan 24, 2008

Marie, Pavel and Agata Fortunately, my clients are MASTERS at extremely short deadlines, so everyone is happy, hahaha

amky
amky
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 19:19
English to Arabic
+ ...
It suits me best Jan 25, 2008

I really like to work when ever i feel it si good time to do so, i'm productive when i have no dead line, so this suits me best.

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:19
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Tight deadline Jan 25, 2008

I don't mind working with tight deadlines.
In fact, I've even got a customer here in Uruguay who always tells me he needs the translations for "yesterday".

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 09:19
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Definition Jan 25, 2008

So what exactly is a tight deadline for you guys?

A) You have 10,000 words due the next day
B) You have 5,000 words due the next day
C) You have 3,000 words due the next day
D) You have an hour to translate 1,000 words.
E) You have an hour to translate 500 words.
F) Other.

FYI, these are all true scenarios. D) and E) I just don't do anymore - To start off with, I don't like rush jobs, and if you get stuck with a word (say you're dealing wi
... See more

A) You have 10,000 words due the next day
B) You have 5,000 words due the next day
C) You have 3,000 words due the next day
D) You have an hour to translate 1,000 words.
E) You have an hour to translate 500 words.
F) Other.

FYI, these are all true scenarios. D) and E) I just don't do anymore - To start off with, I don't like rush jobs, and if you get stuck with a word (say you're dealing with some moderately specialized technical stuff), well....let's just say I'm grateful that didn't happen. So regardless of how I work under extremely tight (some would say unreasonable) deadlines, I don't like doing it, and I won't (except for some very special clients).

A) was actually 12,000 words. I had exactly 24 hours to translate it. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but it went by pretty fast for the number of words involved. My work performance was fine, but I'm sure I would have seen it decline at an alarming rate if I'd had to work a few hours more.

I would consider B) a (somewhat) tight deadline and C) a very reasonable one, and I find that I work particularly well with these schemes - but give me a long deadline any time of the year and I'll be very very happy!

John, you should get a shirt that says "The Mañana Man." Just came to mind (too...many....Charlton Heston....movies)

[Edited at 2008-01-25 02:52]
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not a bad idea Jan 25, 2008

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:

John, you should get a shirt that says "The Mañana Man." Just came to mind (too...many....Charlton Heston....movies)

[Edited at 2008-01-25 02:52]

Mmmm, not a bad idea, maybe I will...

Sandro C
Sandro C  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:19
English to Georgian
+ ...
I like defined deadlines Jan 25, 2008

It's good to have deadlines defined - gives you more sence of the timing, etc. I do not like very tight deadlines - it usually effects the quality. And it was interesting to read about the "Definitions".. as to procrastination - do you know anybody who doesn't do that?

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Italian to English
+ ...
Good question.... Jan 25, 2008

Marcelo Silveyra wrote:

but I can't actually answer this question, as I never have just one deadline anyway - I always have several, with a mixture of small and medium-sized jobs, up to about 10,000 words max. (and very rarely a larger one).

My take on John's favourite saying is "Why do tomorrow what you can put off next week?"

Having said that, I am always full of work and deadlines are sacrosanct, so actually I rarely have the luxury of procrastination. Basically, I work at my best when the quantity of work I have is a tiny bit more than what I can do comfortably in the time available. Too much more and I dream of missed deadlines and forgotten jobs all night, a little bit less and I'll just faff around until something comes in to get me back under pressure.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I personally work best when I have a:

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »