Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: The last time I refused a job was because
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 26, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "The last time I refused a job was because".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Yoanna
Yoanna  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:58
English to Polish
+ ...
Usually I refuse... Jan 26, 2008

...because I an too busy, but the very last time I refused I just wanted to spend a couple of hours with my daughter [3.5 yrs old] and we went to the craft store, bought beads, fabric, glue etc. and had a crafty day

But this is really a treat for both of us... Usually I am too busy

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Trying to be honest Jan 26, 2008

I have turned down several jobs this year, and each time I have said I was too busy.

However, this wasn't really true. The real reason was that the rates were too low.

It is easy to say to somebody - 'Sorry - but I'm just too busy.'

However, I think in the longer term, it would be much more productive - as well as honest - to say 'Sorry - but somebody else wants to pay more than you and I have to give them priority.'

Sandro C
Sandro C  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:58
English to Georgian
+ ...
Law rates Jan 26, 2008

After all we all sacrifice our precious time with our family members to do this or that job. In that respect it is only natural to turn down law paid offers; and I agree, it is always good to mention this to the client – makes things clearer for the future.

Diana Arbiser
Diana Arbiser  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yoanna, you read my mind! Jan 26, 2008

Yoanna wrote:

...because I an too busy, but the very last time I refused I just wanted to spend a couple of hours with my daughter
t this is really a treat for both of us... Usually I am too busy [/quote]

I have just refused (probably five minutes ago) to do a translation with a Monday morning deadline, because I want to enjoy my weekend with my daughters, and I am usually too busy to be with them during the weekdays!

But the two main reasons for me to refuse a job are if I'm too busy or if the pay is insufficient for the job.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:58
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The two most recent refusals Jan 26, 2008

One was because I was too busy.

The other was because the rate was ridiculously low. I didn't make up excuses, since I think that's counterproductive in these cases. I wrote back explaining that the rate they offered for their commercial translation was less than half of what I charge non-profit organizations that I really like.

Usually I would have just counter-offered with my standard rate, but this client wasn't even in the same ballpark.

[Edited at 2008-01-2
... See more
One was because I was too busy.

The other was because the rate was ridiculously low. I didn't make up excuses, since I think that's counterproductive in these cases. I wrote back explaining that the rate they offered for their commercial translation was less than half of what I charge non-profit organizations that I really like.

Usually I would have just counter-offered with my standard rate, but this client wasn't even in the same ballpark.

[Edited at 2008-01-27 01:36]
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
4.6% never refuse a job? Jan 26, 2008

The rates can never be too low?
All areas are within their expertise?
They're never on vacation?

Or they're just very lucky cause they're only contacted by the right clients with the right jobs at the right time!

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I'm wondering.... Jan 26, 2008

Those that answered: I never refuse a job....
Don't they get a lot of job offers or do they work themselves to death?

BTW, I answered: too busy. Thankfully

Leticia Klemetz, CT
Leticia Klemetz, CT  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
Rates, oh, rates... Jan 26, 2008

John Rawlins wrote:

However, I think in the longer term, it would be much more productive - as well as honest - to say 'Sorry - but somebody else wants to pay more than you and I have to give them priority.'

Oh, John, that's a wonderful statement! May I quote you? I've met so many clients in the past months who are offering rates down at even a fourth of the standard market rates!

I don't mind working a bit below at times, or working for free if it's for an NGO, but clients must realize Europe is an expensive place to live in.

Happy weekend, everybody!

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Honesty is best Jan 26, 2008

John Rawlins wrote:

I have turned down several jobs this year, and each time I have said I was too busy.

However, this wasn't really true. The real reason was that the rates were too low.

It is easy to say to somebody - 'Sorry - but I'm just too busy.'

Not pointing out that their rates are low simply reinforces the fact that you are busy at the rate they offer, and they don't get the message that like any other profession translation should becompensated fairly. It's bad for everyone...

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree Jan 26, 2008

David Russi wrote:

Not pointing out that their rates are low simply reinforces the fact that you are busy at the rate they offer, and they don't get the message that like any other profession translation should be compensated fairly. It's bad for everyone...

Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga
Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
The opposite strategy Jan 26, 2008

Last time I rejected a job I told them the rate was too low (which it was) but I mainly rejected the job because I was too busy.

I rather have work to do than to have a minimum rate, but whenever I am too busy I do not miss the opportuny to tell them I would rather work for better rates.

This is a Win-Win situation, either next time they will come with better rates or they will not come at all, which will save me from the temptation to say Yes.

Sara Mullin
Sara Mullin  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
the job scared me... Jan 26, 2008

...and, to quote Monty Python, I said to myself, "Run away! Run Away!"

This past week I was contacted by a new client who wanted me (at first) to translate a scientific paper for him from French into English. Then, when he found out my rates, he decided he'd translate it himself and wanted me to proofread it. Normally, I already find that kind of situation a bit scary (having already accepted to do this once, and only once, before and having suffered through really painful English!!
... See more
...and, to quote Monty Python, I said to myself, "Run away! Run Away!"

This past week I was contacted by a new client who wanted me (at first) to translate a scientific paper for him from French into English. Then, when he found out my rates, he decided he'd translate it himself and wanted me to proofread it. Normally, I already find that kind of situation a bit scary (having already accepted to do this once, and only once, before and having suffered through really painful English!!).

What was even worse in this case was that French was the client's SECOND language, with English being his “third". All of the emails that I got from the client (in both French and English) were impossible. As I could barely understand what he wanted from me in either language, how could I possibly accept a job from him? Plus, he admitted that "his" English translation was in fact just the French run through an online translation machine. No, no, no! Nightmare material!

I agree with all of the previous posts about actually saying that the rates are too low to accept them, rather than saying you’re too busy. Good method!

A good weekend to all!
Sara
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
I refuse jobs when... Jan 26, 2008

...they are a nightmare, like those lists of words to translate without a contest or similar annoying jobs. After so many years of career I am fortunately at the point where I can choose and refuse what I don't like, not even the tariff matters. But obviously I refuse bad paid jobs anyway.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Too busy means too busy Jan 26, 2008

I usually turn down work because I'm too busy. That's really all it comes down to.

On the other hand, when new clients write me they often times don't mention rates right away. If they did, and I saw the rates were too low, that'd probably be a good reason to refuse the job.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The last time I refused a job was because

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »