Poll: Is business slow at the moment?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 1, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Is business slow at the moment?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Marion van Venrooij-Rooijmans
Netherlands
Local time: 13:36
English to Dutch
It was... Feb 1, 2008

Business was definitely slow two days ago. But then yesterday, I was absolutely flooded with new jobs, requests and desperate pleas, and today has been very hectic as well.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:36
English to Polish
Getting better Feb 1, 2008

Actually it's getting better recently, after very slow December and beginning of January

Anni

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Steady or even better Feb 1, 2008

For quite some years, January and February used to be very calm months, but the last 2-3 years the beginning of the year has had almost as high pace as in December. Also, we have never noticed any severe affects from downswings in the global business.

Erik

Anabel Martínez
Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bad timing for the poll, maybe Feb 1, 2008

If they had asked me a couple of days ago, I would have said it was pretty slow, but suddenly I'm very busy again, I see I'm not the only one!

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
It's Friday afternoon - of course it's busy Feb 1, 2008

This morning was delightfully calm but now it's Friday afternoon and, comme d'habitude, I am being bombarded with offers of work - heigh ho ...
January was busier than usual for me.
Regards,
Jenny

Ágata Sousa
Ágata Sousa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:36
English to Portuguese
Don’t take me bad, today it’s carnival... Feb 1, 2008

Não me leve a mal, hoje é carnaval...

Here in Brazil Carnival starts today, or tomorrow, whatever. The thing is that specially here in Rio de Janeiro, Carnival started about a month ago, just that these days it gets bigger. Tuesday and half of the Wednesday are holidays, and Saturday no one will work too. So, right now I have to anticipate all the work - which is a lot. While there are already a lot of people in the streets enjoying
... See more
Não me leve a mal, hoje é carnaval...

Here in Brazil Carnival starts today, or tomorrow, whatever. The thing is that specially here in Rio de Janeiro, Carnival started about a month ago, just that these days it gets bigger. Tuesday and half of the Wednesday are holidays, and Saturday no one will work too. So, right now I have to anticipate all the work - which is a lot. While there are already a lot of people in the streets enjoying :/

(Well, it worth the trouble - I still have Saturday, Sunday and so on)
Collapse

janen
janen
Local time: 23:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Writing to clients Feb 1, 2008

I have had an unusually quiet couple of weeks, with just odds and ends. I have a largish job now, but I obtained it by writing to a client I hadn't heard from for a while asking if they had anything for me. I don't often need to do that.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:36
English to French
+ ...
Hectic! Feb 1, 2008

November and December were unusually slow - but here I am having to refuse jobs I otherwise would have loved to work on. I even have to refuse some of my best clients' requests, which is making me angry.

I feel like asking them all: Where were YOU in November?!

Hilde Granlund
Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Maddest week ever.. Feb 1, 2008

Turned down a lot of things I would have liked to do.
And to my great shame - a job that I HAD promised to do had gotten completely lost.

Just finished a huge job, and starting another one, which looks very interesting. I am only a part time translator, so a lot of the translating I do teaches me a lot (and brings me up to date) on a lot of useful stuff

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
From the sublime to the ridiculous Feb 2, 2008

I suggested this poll at the beginning of the week after a pretty slow January - my quietest month in ages. But, typically, work has picked up this week and today I'm back to my usual situation of turning work down. Just goes to show we should make the most of the quiet times when they arise, but it's never quite that easy....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is business slow at the moment?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »