Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever worked on a project for a few days in a row with no sleep?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 14:40
English to Greek
+ ...
Never Feb 7, 2008

After what I read in this thread, I guess that I'm quite spoiled: I never start working before 7:30 in the morning and I never stay up later than midnight... Maybe I work non-stop all these hours, but I would never give up on my sleep. I agree with those of you who believe that working too hard compromises the quality of the translation. All work and no play makes translation bad. Besides, I find this job enjoyable, too, so I'd better not start undergoing tortures, or I'll end up hating it...

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:40
English to French
Never Feb 7, 2008

I read a long time ago about a US-army study on how soldiers resist sleep deprivation. It was established that mental faculties are severely impaired after 36hours with no sleep: unable to read maps or understand a simple course of action, increased thinking viscosity, judgment mistakes, etc.
In other words, you're a wreck after 36 hours without sleep.

However, with a few 5-minute sleep sessions in between, it was shown that faculties remained effective for a vastly improved
... See more
I read a long time ago about a US-army study on how soldiers resist sleep deprivation. It was established that mental faculties are severely impaired after 36hours with no sleep: unable to read maps or understand a simple course of action, increased thinking viscosity, judgment mistakes, etc.
In other words, you're a wreck after 36 hours without sleep.

However, with a few 5-minute sleep sessions in between, it was shown that faculties remained effective for a vastly improved period of time.

In my younger days, besides staying awake for 38 hours on a occasion unrelated to work, on another occasion I slept 26h30 solid just out of sheer accumulated fatigue.

The body's a wonderful machine, to be taken care of when it gets a bit of patina...

Good night,
Philippe

[Edited at 2008-02-07 20:58]
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:40
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No but Feb 7, 2008

It happens sometimes when a lot of work accumulates that I sleep 2-3 h and than go back to work. I don;t think I would be able to provide decent quality of work without at least some rest.

Cheers

Stanislaw

Silvia Brandon-Pérez
Silvia Brandon-Pérez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, definitely Feb 7, 2008

I try not to do it, I don't do it gladly, but I have on occasion taken jobs where I was supposed to have help, and the other translators backed out... leaving me with an impossible deadline. The worst was a 60,000 word French/English translation, due in 3 days... I did sleep, on my couch, for two hours on day 3, because I was so exhausted I could not see straight...

It was horrible, I don't recommend it, but I am used to working around the clock, used to do it when I had a brief d
... See more
I try not to do it, I don't do it gladly, but I have on occasion taken jobs where I was supposed to have help, and the other translators backed out... leaving me with an impossible deadline. The worst was a 60,000 word French/English translation, due in 3 days... I did sleep, on my couch, for two hours on day 3, because I was so exhausted I could not see straight...

It was horrible, I don't recommend it, but I am used to working around the clock, used to do it when I had a brief due the next morning or some type of extraordinary relief which would not wait.

I raised five children while working as a full-time lawyer, visiting clients in jail until 11 PM, doing the political activist routine, so I am used to sleeping very little... Nowadays I would probably be classified as hyperactive...
Collapse

Isabelle Berquin
Isabelle Berquin  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:40
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
No way! Feb 7, 2008

I'm glad that so many of us feel the same way... It would be counter-productive for me to work without sleep, and the quality of my work would definitely suffer (as well as my health)!

Teri Szucs
Teri Szucs  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
If you are young enough to handle it, you are too young to know better. Feb 8, 2008

Most of my work is interpreting, I am a night owl by nature, so unless I'm working night court, I'm usually sleep deprived to some degree. It's almost painful by Friday, I cannot imagine that I would ever do that to myself were I to set my own hours.

Gita Madhu (X)
Gita Madhu (X)
Local time: 19:40
French to English
Those were the days... Feb 8, 2008

I've had two stints where a tiny bit of sleep was all one could catch. Never to be repeated, I can assure you. Although it has it's own thrills as I'm not much of a sleeper anyways.

But the majority here are right- nothing like the fresh brain to think straight and get it right.

If not sleep, then at least a short meditation. Some form or another of mediation is often more effective than many hours of comatose sleep.

Things lie sensory perception trainin
... See more
I've had two stints where a tiny bit of sleep was all one could catch. Never to be repeated, I can assure you. Although it has it's own thrills as I'm not much of a sleeper anyways.

But the majority here are right- nothing like the fresh brain to think straight and get it right.

If not sleep, then at least a short meditation. Some form or another of mediation is often more effective than many hours of comatose sleep.

Things lie sensory perception training, watching the breath, autogenic training or even doing the rosary aloud ( We call it Japa in India- repeating a word or prayer over and over) greatly improve productivity but such practices should only be begun when the mind are body are relaxed as this will prime the system to replicate that state.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I used to do it fairly often Feb 8, 2008

... especially during conferences. Maybe the night shift didn't show up, and the delegates had to sign a final report or a declaration the next morning before the meeting closed and they went their separate ways. There was always a "reason," and no one ever offered us the option of saying "No." I almost got used to it.

I don't do conference work any more, and now I seldom pull two days in a row for the simple reason that my brain fogs over, When the page starts dancing in front of m
... See more
... especially during conferences. Maybe the night shift didn't show up, and the delegates had to sign a final report or a declaration the next morning before the meeting closed and they went their separate ways. There was always a "reason," and no one ever offered us the option of saying "No." I almost got used to it.

I don't do conference work any more, and now I seldom pull two days in a row for the simple reason that my brain fogs over, When the page starts dancing in front of my eyes, my body makes the decision for me. I was thinking of asking a Quick Poll question along the lines of "Do you ever get brain fog? Often Sometimes Rarely What's that?" I think it's caused by a sudden drop in cortisol. So I can safely say that my body is smarter than I am.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Never Feb 8, 2008

And I never would, for all the reasons already cited by others.

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes Feb 8, 2008

Once, I remember, 1 day and 1 night, delivering early morning personally.

Wil Hardman (X)
Wil Hardman (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
3 days! Feb 8, 2008

I do not believe that anyone has managed to stay awake for three days translating... unless they are taking some kind of stimulant.

When I started out I did quite a few all-nighters, but I always needed sleep before proof reading.

As Philipe said:
'I read a long time ago about a US-army study on how soldiers resist sleep deprivation. It was established that mental faculties are severely impaired after 36hours with no sleep: unable to read maps or understand a si
... See more
I do not believe that anyone has managed to stay awake for three days translating... unless they are taking some kind of stimulant.

When I started out I did quite a few all-nighters, but I always needed sleep before proof reading.

As Philipe said:
'I read a long time ago about a US-army study on how soldiers resist sleep deprivation. It was established that mental faculties are severely impaired after 36hours with no sleep: unable to read maps or understand a simple course of action, increased thinking viscosity, judgment mistakes, etc.'

So how after 72 hours can you translate?!- Translating task that requires a great deal of concentration- I do not believe it is physically possible.
Collapse

Fabio Scaliti
Fabio Scaliti  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
My very first assignment was enough Feb 8, 2008

Hi all,

I remember very well my absolutely first assignment from a local translation agency.

I was so excited for having being assigned my first (underpaid) project, that I didn't realize how close the deadline was.

Eventually I had to wake up at 4 a.m. the day before delivery and worked the whole day and night long till 5 a.m. of the following day fuelled by double cups of espresso every hour at least during the night.

I delivered on time and
... See more
Hi all,

I remember very well my absolutely first assignment from a local translation agency.

I was so excited for having being assigned my first (underpaid) project, that I didn't realize how close the deadline was.

Eventually I had to wake up at 4 a.m. the day before delivery and worked the whole day and night long till 5 a.m. of the following day fuelled by double cups of espresso every hour at least during the night.

I delivered on time and fell asleep right afterwards. I woke up again at 2 a.m.

It took me 3-4 days to regain my normal biorhythm.

Never again.

Fabio
Collapse

TextTrade
TextTrade  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:40
English to French
+ ...
what? you guys SLEEP??? Feb 8, 2008

mwahahaha

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 06:40
German to English
+ ...
I have - but wouldn't now Feb 11, 2008

I did one or two all-nighters when I first started out, for clients who begged me (I'm apparently a sucker for that). At the time, i was desperate for money, and I thought I was being smart by not only charging extra for the rush job, but by magically "finding" an extra 8 hours in my day. By about midnight on the 2nd day, I was exhausted, tearful and couldn't see straight. I ended up sleeping right through the third day anyway, so ... See more
I did one or two all-nighters when I first started out, for clients who begged me (I'm apparently a sucker for that). At the time, i was desperate for money, and I thought I was being smart by not only charging extra for the rush job, but by magically "finding" an extra 8 hours in my day. By about midnight on the 2nd day, I was exhausted, tearful and couldn't see straight. I ended up sleeping right through the third day anyway, so was probably no better off financially! I wouldn't do it again. Now I stop for a break as soon as I find my concentration starting to wander, and I don't schedule work for my "sleeping time"!

[Edited at 2008-02-11 08:49]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever worked on a project for a few days in a row with no sleep?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »