https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/98392-poll%3A_how_often_do_your_translations_require_the_use_of_slang.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How often do your translations require the use of slang?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 28, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do your translations require the use of slang?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:21
Russian to English
+ ...
Poll design Feb 28, 2008

What's the difference between "sometimes" and "occasionally"?

christine munin
christine munin  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:21
German to French
+ ...
Hi john and Nesrin Feb 28, 2008

I agree with you both
I love reading the polls but I don't write often because of my bad english
However I find the polls are a place to exchange and no one wants to discuss about serious or intellectual subjects only
When I don't like what the polls are talking about, I ignore them ... and read the next one
Christine

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't shoot the messenger : ) Feb 28, 2008

Paul Merriam wrote:

What's the difference between "sometimes" and "occasionally"?

Hi Paul,

I taught English as a foreign language for 12 years and the text books treated "occasionally" as something that occurs less often than "sometimes".

If you beg to differ (which is certainly possible) take it up with Oxford; I didn't make it up, I'm just the messenger

Rocio Barrientos
Rocio Barrientos  Identity Verified
Bolivia
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree Feb 28, 2008

christine munin wrote:

I find the polls are a place to exchange ...

Christine

I do too.

I believe www.proz.com is a place where collegues treat each other with respect (in comparison to other sites).

I hope that the few incidents are just rare exceptions to the rule.

Warmest greetings,

RocĂ­o

[Edited at 2008-02-28 17:41]

[Edited at 2008-02-28 19:33]

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
How do you define the term "slang" Feb 28, 2008

How often do your translations require the use of slang?

Depends on which definiton of slang is applied to answer this question?

I'm using medical slang on a daily basis (2nd definition), I hardly ever use slang (1st definition)

slang
1. informal speech composed of newly coined words or expressions or of common words and expressions whose meanings are changed or extended; popular speech.
2. speech used by social or professional peer group
... See more
How often do your translations require the use of slang?

Depends on which definiton of slang is applied to answer this question?

I'm using medical slang on a daily basis (2nd definition), I hardly ever use slang (1st definition)

slang
1. informal speech composed of newly coined words or expressions or of common words and expressions whose meanings are changed or extended; popular speech.
2. speech used by social or professional peer groups for in-group communication; jargon; cant; argot.

http://www.nde.state.ne.us/READ/FRAMEWORK/glossary/general_p-t.html

Siegfried
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:21
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Rarely Feb 29, 2008

This option wasn't included, so I'll add it myself! I wish I did get more translations with slang, because I'm quite good at it. I spent a lot of time when I lived in Rio playing in small samba schools and blocos in the favelas, where there was a lot of slang spoken.

Amy

1279 (X)
1279 (X)
If you like slang, do transcriptions Feb 29, 2008

Amy,

I also like working with slang, which is part of the reason I do a fair amount of Spanish > English transcription. Since transcription requires working from a recorded conversation rather than a document, the colloquialisms flow much more freely (especially when the recorded individuals happen to be describing something "exciting" such as a crime or car wreck they witnessed.) If you don't do transcription now, maybe you'd like it. I'm sure there must be some Portuguese > Englis
... See more
Amy,

I also like working with slang, which is part of the reason I do a fair amount of Spanish > English transcription. Since transcription requires working from a recorded conversation rather than a document, the colloquialisms flow much more freely (especially when the recorded individuals happen to be describing something "exciting" such as a crime or car wreck they witnessed.) If you don't do transcription now, maybe you'd like it. I'm sure there must be some Portuguese > English transcription work out there. Just a thought.

Clare

edited for typo

[Edited at 2008-02-29 01:32]
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:21
French to Spanish
+ ...
Very often. Feb 29, 2008

As I do translate motion pictures... you can image.
And I love it!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do your translations require the use of slang?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »