Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Poll: Do you have a favorite word in each of your languages? Please share!
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 18:57
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
phrases more than words Feb 29, 2008

I can say Ive more favorite phrases than words, especially in English but if Ive to chose words those would be:
- English: unbelievable, gorgeous and gracious (I like the sound of them more than anything)
- Italian: primavera, allora and stella (Italian is full of fabulous words and my list could be endless really).

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 11:57
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Many languages, several favorite words Feb 29, 2008

Here are some of my favorite words in a few languages:

Spanish: Me tinca. (A Chilean phrase supposedly coming from "methinks").

English: pleasurable. I love the /zh/ sound. Saying "pleasurable" is a pleasurable experience!

German: ziemlich. I had a German professor in college who always used that word. She would say "Das ist ziemlich kompliziert".

French: blé. I like it because most French words are long and expressive and this one is oddly bl
... See more
Here are some of my favorite words in a few languages:

English: pleasurable. I love the /zh/ sound. Saying "pleasurable" is a pleasurable experience!

German: ziemlich. I had a German professor in college who always used that word. She would say "Das ist ziemlich kompliziert".

French: blé. I like it because most French words are long and expressive and this one is oddly blunt.

Portuguese: obrigado. The way it is pronounced in Brazilian Portuguese sounds much more thankful to my ear than "thank you" or "gracias". It goes down, then up, then down, and then up again when people say it.
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Is dialect valid? Feb 29, 2008

I have tons of words I like in my dialect, some of them are practically untranslatable, but let's keep to the "official languages":

German: Papperlapapp, Papierkram
English: lackadaisical, bombastic, inadvertently
Italian: nothing comes into my mind right now

Diana Arbiser
Diana Arbiser  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
A word in English that I love and hate at the same time... Feb 29, 2008

The poll made me think of "burglary", which I love and hate at the same time, because it's one of those terms that cannot possibly be translated into Spanish with less than three words (it's either "allanamiento de morada", "entrada ilegal con fines delictivos", "robo con escalamiento"...) I hate it, because every time I have to interpret it, it takes lots of my precious time to render it into Spanish (PLUS, everybody else might think I am saying too many words...) But, at the same time, I love ... See more
The poll made me think of "burglary", which I love and hate at the same time, because it's one of those terms that cannot possibly be translated into Spanish with less than three words (it's either "allanamiento de morada", "entrada ilegal con fines delictivos", "robo con escalamiento"...) I hate it, because every time I have to interpret it, it takes lots of my precious time to render it into Spanish (PLUS, everybody else might think I am saying too many words...) But, at the same time, I love just how much you can say with so little: burglary.Collapse

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
I love this poll discussion ! Feb 29, 2008

Åsa Maria K wrote:

I also love the whole concept residing in the word "ojalá".

In Portuguese (as spoken in Brazil) :

lixo : doesn't it make garbage sound wonderful?
chimarrao: their way of saying "mate" (the beverage from yerba mate).

In Spanish: I absolute love the concept in "ojalá" and I try to use this word whenever possible.

Also: mangrullo: according to RAE: . "m. Arg. y Ur. Torre rústica que servía de atalaya en las proximidades de fortines, estancias y poblaciones de la pampa y otras regiones llanas." Great sound.

French: practically every single word in that language is music to me.

English: the words that summarize several others, words that make it a concise and sharp language.

Thank you, Keren, for suggesting this discussion.

Lucía

[Edited at 2008-02-29 22:58]

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:57
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
My choice Mar 1, 2008

In German: Gesamtkunstwerk

In English: to bequeath

In Spanish: obviamente

In Portuguese: saudade

In French: badinerie

In Italian: pulcinella

In Catalan: il·luminació

In Galician: Fisterra

In Latin: credo

In Norwegian: fjord

mariana24
mariana24  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:57
Spanish
+ ...
Why? Mar 1, 2008

I very much like the word "indeed" in English. Don't ask why, I don't know myself. It has to do with the sound and something snobbish (in my head, of course).
Also: "relentlessly". No idea why.

In Spanish: "consuetudinario". It has to do with my late father. Also "eviscerado". Same reason. And "individuo". I love the way my father spoke. I'm realising that.

This is fun. Thanks.

Mariana

Rocio Barrientos
Rocio Barrientos  Identity Verified
Bolivia
Local time: 11:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
tinca... o tink'a I think it comes from quechua Mar 1, 2008

[quote]Reed D. James wrote:

Tinka/T'inka (s.) Presentimiento de ansiedad. info. Tinku (s. .... Si quiere ver toda la lista del diccionario Quechua aprete una de las letras de la ...
www.katari.org/diccionario/diccionario.php?display=23&listletter=quechua

Me tinca que "tinca" es una palabra del quechua

I think or I have the feeling that "tinca" is a quechua word

Greetings

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:57
Japanese to English
Just a foodie at heart... Mar 1, 2008

Spanish: lechuga (another one for the "don't ask why - have always just loved the word" category)

Italian: tagliatelle (the pasta)

Japanese: sushi (OK, truth be told, I just love the way my little ones get all tongue-tied trying to say it and it ends up as "shushee")

Malayalam/Tamil: papadum

French: béchamel

Greek: moussaka (also love the name 'Papadopoulos,' btw!)

Bon Appétit!!...
See more
Spanish: lechuga (another one for the "don't ask why - have always just loved the word" category)

Italian: tagliatelle (the pasta)

Japanese: sushi (OK, truth be told, I just love the way my little ones get all tongue-tied trying to say it and it ends up as "shushee")

Malayalam/Tamil: papadum

French: béchamel

Greek: moussaka (also love the name 'Papadopoulos,' btw!)

Bon Appétit!!
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:57
English to Turkish
+ ...
Many Mar 1, 2008

I had said this in another forum -a similar thread, but not a poll- my favorite English word is overkill: the concept couldn't have been expressed any better! I also like voluptuous - its sound fits its meaning so much that even if you don't know what it means, you can understand, or better, feel it - and despite the fact that it begin... See more
I had said this in another forum -a similar thread, but not a poll- my favorite English word is overkill: the concept couldn't have been expressed any better! I also like voluptuous - its sound fits its meaning so much that even if you don't know what it means, you can understand, or better, feel it - and despite the fact that it begins with a sound as non-sensuous as V (OK, V for Voluptuous)

In Turkish, my favorite words are kardeş and can. The former means "sibling", but I like it because of its etymology. Its original form was "karındaş" and this literally means "those who share the same womb" (like, "womb fellows" ). Maybe I like the matriarchal thinking behind the concept The latter, can means life, soul, vitality, human being, person, heart, mood, life force, pain sensitivity, brother/sister (or, comrade), darling, beloved... and so many other things. It's a very precious word for a speaker of Turkish. I also like adap, which loosely means the etiquette of a certain thing, as well as its slang equivalent, racon.

As for the languages I don't speak or work with: in German Tussi - it sounds so funny and... well, tussig! Also, Körper - it sounds similar to the Turkish "körpe", which means fresh, young. So, when you say Körper (body), I can only think of a very young person Ah, the derivative Verkörperung sounds impressive, too!

In French, I love the word chez - so cute and handy! And look how lovely "chez Özden" sounds!

And my all-round, all-time favorite: the Russian word for "pencil": karandaş, karandash, carandache, Caran d'Ache. No word has ever fascinated me like this - have no idea why, though
Collapse

Lisa Roberts
Lisa Roberts  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to English
+ ...
Choos, Potter Mar 1, 2008

I'm not a German speaker, but when I went to Berlin last year I was equally taken and amused by the word 'Choos' (Bye)...perhaps more to do with the intonation...

And I've always loved the word 'Potter', as in 'to potter about'...I think both the word and concept are quintessentially English

Lisa Nottmeyer (X)
Lisa Nottmeyer (X)
Spain
Spanish to German
+ ...
true, but ... Mar 1, 2008

Lisa Roberts wrote:

I'm not a German speaker, but when I went to Berlin last year I was equally taken and amused by the word 'Choos' (Bye)...perhaps more to do with the intonation...

I know from Spanish friends that the word definitely has some fascination for non-German-speakers ... but it´s spelled in a different way:

I hope you don´t mind if I correct it ...

Tschüs ! Tschüß ! or Tschö !

Best

Lisa

[Edited at 2008-03-01 12:29]

Anita du Plessis
Anita du Plessis  Identity Verified
South Africa
Member (2008)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The "S" words Mar 1, 2008

I don't know why, but I like the sound of s in any language.

English: sunshine

Afrikaans: sonskyn

French: soleil

German: Sonnenschein

Maybe it is because I am a child of Africa and a big sun lover!

[Edited at 2008-03-01 09:14]

[Edited at 2008-03-01 09:17]

Kristin Vold
Kristin Vold
Italy
Italian to Norwegian
+ ...
gatufo Mar 1, 2008

I answered "other" because I don't have a favourite word in all my languages, only in Sicilian. I love the wrd "gatufo", which means "kitten". (And I love cats, of course)

Kristin Vold
Kristin Vold
Italy
Italian to Norwegian
+ ...
Oops... Mar 1, 2008

I suppose it should have been written "gattufo", with a double "t".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a favorite word in each of your languages? Please share!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »