Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Poll: Your profile photo portrays you as:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 13, 2008

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Your profile photo portrays you as:".

This poll was originally submitted by Hilary Davies

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each tim
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Your profile photo portrays you as:".

This poll was originally submitted by Hilary Davies

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 14:59
German to English
+ ...
My poll made it! I'm so proud ;-) Mar 13, 2008

Hello!

As people's profile pictures vary so widely (from logos to professional portraits to baby and pet pictures), I was curious to see how people thought their pictures portrayed them, and what their intention was in putting them up.

Just for the record, I was going for somewhere in between "friendly" (which I thought I'd included as an option, but maybe not!) and "professional" with my photo. I may have just ended up with "big cheesy grin" instead, though!

[
... See more
Hello!

As people's profile pictures vary so widely (from logos to professional portraits to baby and pet pictures), I was curious to see how people thought their pictures portrayed them, and what their intention was in putting them up.

Just for the record, I was going for somewhere in between "friendly" (which I thought I'd included as an option, but maybe not!) and "professional" with my photo. I may have just ended up with "big cheesy grin" instead, though!

[Edited at 2008-03-13 15:43]

[Edited at 2008-03-13 15:44]

[Edited at 2008-03-13 16:02]

[Edited at 2008-03-13 16:03]
Collapse

David Earl
David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:59
German to English
Alternate Option: I Forgot Mar 13, 2008

Yeah, I haven't looked at my own profile, or at least, not at the picture, in so long that I forgot which one I loaded and had to go look, again.

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other Mar 13, 2008

I guess I look casual, happy and relaxed. This photo was taken when I went on holidays to a recreation park in a warm area to relax and escape from Lima's gray and rainy winter.

Cynthia Plac (X)
Cynthia Plac (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:59
Czech to English
+ ...
The Idea Is There Mar 13, 2008

My photo changes frequently, as I also think my range of work does. Hi-tide, low-tide, water, life, and movement. Freedom, fidelity: a photo can say so much. My physical appearance doesn't have to say all these things at once, or at least I hope not. My best smile is probably this one ->

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:29
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Missing Option: As I am Mar 13, 2008

If this option had been there, I would have voted for it.

My photo just portrays me the way I am. In other words, I am not making any statement with my photo. Should I, though?

[2008-03-13 16:20 पर संपादन हुआ]

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
German to English
+ ...
A picture is worth a thousand words Mar 13, 2008

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

If this option had been there, I would have voted for it.

My photo just portrays me the way I am. In other words, I am not making any statement with my photo. Should I, though?

[2008-03-13 16:20 पर संपादन हुआ]

Ahh, but Balasubramaniam, you're saying so much with that photo!

It's not an officially-posed one, so it's not a professional portrait. You're wearing a casual shirt, rather than a suit. You have patterned wallpaper behind you, which suggests you're in someone's home. You're smiling, rather than making a serious face. All these things suggest that you are relaxed, friendly and quite casual. The fact that you have chosen this picture for your profile means that this is how you would like your customers to perceive you. Am I right?

Vittorina Klingbeil (X)
Vittorina Klingbeil (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:59
Italian to English
+ ...
Another one in the "cheesy grin" category Mar 13, 2008

Mine would fall into the "as I am" category. It is a recent photo taken in the sunshine standing in front of a favourite plant. However, I recently saw a member's profile photo in which he looks very much like George Clooney, and I thought that was a very clever way to attract people to your profile!

[Edited at 2008-03-13 16:52]

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who is he?? Mar 13, 2008

Vittorina Klingbeil wrote:

Mine would fall into the "as I am" category. It is a recent photo taken in the sunshine standing in front of a favourite plant. However, I recently saw a member's profile photo in which he looks very much like George Clooney, and I thought that was a very clever way to attract people to your profile!

[Edited at 2008-03-13 16:52]

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:59
Dutch to English
+ ...
Boring ... Mar 13, 2008

..., I know - the scales of justice, I mean just how stereotypical can one get - but what am I to do?

You see, I'm not as photogenic as you, Hilary.

Still at least it's work-related - better than my dog, I suppose

[Edited at 2008-03-13 16:57]

Ellemiek Drucker
Ellemiek Drucker  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
I have gone for the 'cultural option' Mar 13, 2008

I put on a traditional Dutch hat (which of course hardly anybody wears in Holland, except for when they go in one of those touristy shops to get their picture taken in traditional Dutch clothes) and cut and pasted my picture so it looks like I am in front of a windmill (also often associated with Holland). I must say though that my picture is now at least 5 years old and I moved to the UK, so I am thinking of changing it.

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
German to English
+ ...
Photogenic doesn't pay the bills - unless you're George Clooney Mar 13, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

...,You see, I'm not as photogenic as you, Hilary.

I actually think it's a case of being a lot more PROFESSIONAL than I am! I have been taking inspiration from your "inner circle" method of working to weed out some of my lame duck clients recently!

But WHERE is the George Clooney lookalike? Is it a violation of Proz rules to ask you to post the link???)

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
German to English
+ ...
Very clever Mar 13, 2008

Ellemiek Drucker wrote:

I put on a traditional Dutch hat (which of course hardly anybody wears in Holland, except for when they go in one of those touristy shops to get their picture taken in traditional Dutch clothes) and cut and pasted my picture so it looks like I am in front of a windmill (also often associated with Holland). I must say though that my picture is now at least 5 years old and I moved to the UK, so I am thinking of changing it.

Makes me think of an Old Master... except not old, of course!
It's instantly recognisable as being Dutch, and suggests (as you say) that you have an interest in culture and tradition.

I am going to stop now in case I scare people off by pulling their pictures apart!

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 15:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not photogenic, either. Mar 13, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

..., I know - the scales of justice, I mean just how stereotypical can one get - but what am I to do?

You see, I'm not as photogenic as you, Hilary.

Lawyer-Linguist (I know I should know your name from previous posts, but I've forgotten--sorry), I find your profile photo perfectly appropriate. Someday I will find something similarly appropriate for my profile picture. Till then, I'm opting for none at all.

I, too, am less photogenic than Hilary and many others, and I prefer not to show a photo that potential clients may find unappealing. It's not vanity; there are pictures of me on the web, on more personal sites. One ProZ colleague, at least, has found me on Facebook and has now seen pix of me with grandkids, and I'm fine with that!

I'm not ugly, and I'm not self-conscious about my appearance in person, when I hope my dynamic expressions and intelligent conversation make a positive impression. But I'm not photogenic and haven't found a still photo of myself that looks professional and that I want to use as my business presentation card.

Meanwhile, I enjoy the wide variety of photos chosen by my ProZ colleagues.

Jane

Ellemiek Drucker
Ellemiek Drucker  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks Hillary Mar 13, 2008

I must say I like pictures like yours as well because I think it indicates that you are a friendly and trustworthy person. Those would probably be my main criteria if I were a client looking for a translator: is this person trustworthy/reliable and secondly would I feel comfortable doing business with him/her (in other words do I like him/her), apart from rate and expertise of course.

[Edited at 2008-03-13 17:21]

[Edited at 2008-03-13 17:23]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Your profile photo portrays you as:

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »