Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How long do you wait for a potential client to reply after sending out your quote?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
Precisely Mar 17, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

I just send out the quote and the client will respond when they choose.

Precisely ... short of putting a gun to their head, there's nothing else to do!

If it ain't confirmed, it ain't confirmed.

The poll could also be interpreted to mean how long do you wait before chasing it up.

Perhaps Brandis could explain what he/she meant exactly before the poll statistics get distorted even further.

[Edited at 2008-03-17 16:42]

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:41
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Well, since I always have so much work... Mar 17, 2008

I am permanently in the middle of another translation when each enquiry comes in, and I answer immediately, and the correspondence continues, spasmodically, while I am translating. I permanently have to go on from one job straight to the next, often without eating or sleeping, and the order in which the jobs have to be done takes care of itself.

I'm looking forward to the 4-day Easter break - and - just in case any clients of mine are reading this - I am NOT going to translate on Go
... See more
I am permanently in the middle of another translation when each enquiry comes in, and I answer immediately, and the correspondence continues, spasmodically, while I am translating. I permanently have to go on from one job straight to the next, often without eating or sleeping, and the order in which the jobs have to be done takes care of itself.

I'm looking forward to the 4-day Easter break - and - just in case any clients of mine are reading this - I am NOT going to translate on Good Friday, Easter Saturday, Easter Sunday or Easter Monday, at any time, between the hours of 00:00 and 23:59. Therefore it will not be possible to "magic" any 10,000-word translations between close of business on Thursday and re-opening of business on Tuesday.

Astrid
Collapse

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 10:41
German to English
+ ...
So true! Mar 17, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Therefore it will not be possible to "magic" any 10,000-word translations between close of business on Thursday and re-opening of business on Tuesday.

I have lost count of how many clients think that magic is how it's done. I honestly think some of them think we place the source text in a kind of fax machine, press a button and the translation comes out!

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:41
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Are they paying a retainer? Mar 17, 2008

Nesrin wrote:

When Client A gets in touch with you directly, with very specific details about a project - something along the lines of "We have a potential 20k word project coming up, and we're expecting to get the go-ahead this afternoon - please quote". You send your quote, then five minutes later Client B contacts you with a proper job (not a quote).
Do you accept? The request for a quote seemed so much like a real job coming up, very soon, and very big. And Client A may not be able to tell you anything for sure until this afternoon. And what if you do accept Client B's job, but a couple of hours later Client A comes back saying "hooray we got the job!" and you reply "oops, I'm not available anymore" - isn't that a bit annoying from Client A's point of view?

And what if you do not accept Client B's job, then a couple of hours later Client A comes back saying "sorry, but we did not get the job" (or maybe "we did get the job, but it is not yet ready, and will start maybe next week or who know when") - isn't that very annoying from your point of view?

The job from Client A was only potential - you should go ahead and accept job B. Or maybe phone back client A, and thell them that if they want to make sure you are available for job A, they should send you a purchase order (at least for a retainer fee), because otherwise you would have to accept the job from client B.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
The way to go Mar 17, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

I just send out the quote and the client will respond when they choose. I always let clients know that until a job is authorized it has no priority and I cannot commit to delivery, if that is what the poll is all about.

Indeed, and if the prospect reply within 20 minutes, they have a better chance that the anticipated timeframe be realised.

I replied 1-2 days (the max. offered) with the understanding that after some time, I assume that the prospect is not interested and can't be bothered replying.

Philippe

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Non-binding quote Mar 17, 2008

Erik Hansson wrote:

Sorry, I don't get it. Another enigmatic poll which should have been polished before approved for poll status.
Erik

With Erik.:-)

You could say: "I quoted. Late response from customer. But now I have interim job from elsewhere? Sorry first customer, no can do!"

Remember, if there are interesting monster-sized jobs that would clash, tell all parties involved what's going on. They will appreciate that. It works, believe me.

Otherwise, no response = no response.

Chris

P.S. I prefer to ignore the word 'potential job'. If a decent outsourcer wins the job, they should then be capable of finding someone quickly. It is, after all, part of what they are paid for.

[Edited at 2008-03-17 21:35]

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Brandis, Brandis, where art thou? Mar 17, 2008

We normally get such entertaining snippets/feedback from you, what exactly DID you mean with this poll?

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 21:11
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Unvetted poll? Mar 18, 2008

Usually polls are vetted. It appears this one gatecrashed giving the vetters a total miss!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I do not even remember to have submitted this poll... Mar 18, 2008

Hi! I was informed that the originally submitted poll was modified. I usually do not wait, even in case of potential jobs I submit a bid and wait for a feed back something like " more project details are following " or " customer interaction is not completed" or " customer´s conditions are as follows" somewhere along these lines I know when approaximately when a possible potential job may come and reserve a note mentally and continue with the actual job on hand whether big or small it does not ... See more
Hi! I was informed that the originally submitted poll was modified. I usually do not wait, even in case of potential jobs I submit a bid and wait for a feed back something like " more project details are following " or " customer interaction is not completed" or " customer´s conditions are as follows" somewhere along these lines I know when approaximately when a possible potential job may come and reserve a note mentally and continue with the actual job on hand whether big or small it does not matter, just keep going. Even if the customer comes back after during this period, I inform that I have taken up a small job and will be ready in a few hours, at the same time try to contact colleagues who are free. Consolidate all the previous communication in like a keyword list and ship to them. If the potential job really comes after a few hours, I still have done my current job and am ready to share the potentially big job with colleagues. No confusions there just keep going. Whether modified or not this poll turned tout to be interesting. I thank you all for all the interesting feed back. Brandis

[Edited at 2008-03-18 01:56]
Collapse

Carla Abdel Karim
Carla Abdel Karim
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 19:41
French to Arabic
+ ...
Only when contacted directly Mar 18, 2008

If contacted directly, I will send my quote and wait about half a day for the reply, but that does not prevent me from continuing to work on the current job. Should no reply come up, then I move on to the next job. No time to waste. I just send the quote and forget about it. Whenever I get a "go ahead", it just comes in within the order of priorities and gets done and delivered.
As for the rest:
No "magic" here either.
I don't go with "potential": Either the outsourcer has t
... See more
If contacted directly, I will send my quote and wait about half a day for the reply, but that does not prevent me from continuing to work on the current job. Should no reply come up, then I move on to the next job. No time to waste. I just send the quote and forget about it. Whenever I get a "go ahead", it just comes in within the order of priorities and gets done and delivered.
As for the rest:
No "magic" here either.
I don't go with "potential": Either the outsourcer has texts to be translated or he doesn't. His job is to find a translator, not a "potential" translator. My job is to translate texts, not to wait for "potential texts" to be translate.

[Edited at 2008-03-18 08:30]
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Contradiction in terms Mar 18, 2008

Brandis wrote:
"I do not even remember to have submitted this poll...
I was informed that the originally submitted poll was modified."

I submit that if you were under cross-examination, this statement would probably not "stand up in court."

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Not actually... Mar 18, 2008

Textklick wrote:

Brandis wrote:
"I do not even remember to have submitted this poll...
I was informed that the originally submitted poll was modified."

I submit that if you were under cross-examination, this statement would probably not "stand up in court."
I may have submitted about two dozens of them about a year ago, but not all of them were approved and this one was approved and correspondingly modified. So I do not remember to have submitted this poll. Brandis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long do you wait for a potential client to reply after sending out your quote?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »