Thread poster: Marius Feilberg Jacobsen
Marius Feilberg Jacobsen
Marius Feilberg Jacobsen  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 13:13
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Dec 12, 2008

Ok, allow me to explain: I was born in Santos, Brazil and lived there until I was three. Brazilian Portuguese was the first language I spoke (despite the fact that I'm actually Norwegian), but it didn't take long until I forgot it Of course I remember tiny bits and pieces and I understand a lot, but in all honesty, I wouldn't be able to converse.

Now, I have started dating a Brazilian girl and I want to use this oppo
... See more
Ok, allow me to explain: I was born in Santos, Brazil and lived there until I was three. Brazilian Portuguese was the first language I spoke (despite the fact that I'm actually Norwegian), but it didn't take long until I forgot it Of course I remember tiny bits and pieces and I understand a lot, but in all honesty, I wouldn't be able to converse.

Now, I have started dating a Brazilian girl and I want to use this opportunity to learn the language again. She's going to Brazil for a few months and I want to surprise her when she comes back. Obviously, I know I can't learn everything in those months, but with my background and history, I have a feeling that I can learn a lot.

I'm looking for a good Brazilian newspaper, which isn't too complex, so I can read an article every morning. Any tips? I also appreciate any advice on learning the language. Webradio, software, other resources, etc...

Thank you all in advance (Obrigado!)

Marius
Collapse

Fernando Guimaraes
Fernando Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:13
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Try: Dec 12, 2008

www.estadao.com.br
www.folha.com.br
www.jn.pt

There are Assimil cd´s that i used to learn a little Dutch, I think they have also Portuguese.
It gives several text with audio with every day situations, I found it good.
... See more
www.estadao.com.br
www.folha.com.br
www.jn.pt

There are Assimil cd´s that i used to learn a little Dutch, I think they have also Portuguese.

Bons estudos.
Collapse

Marius Feilberg Jacobsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 12, 2008

Fernando Guimaraes wrote:

www.estadao.com.br
www.folha.com.br
www.jn.pt

Bons estudos.

Thanks! I'll have a look at these

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Careful about variant - Online TV Dec 12, 2008

Marius,

First of all, be very careful about the Portuguese variant you learn. As Portugal is closer, the risk exists. According to what a Scandinavian (a Norwegian, who lived in Sweden most of his life) boss I had, learning European Portuguese to go to Brazil is close to learning Swedis
... See more
Marius,

First of all, be very careful about the Portuguese variant you learn. As Portugal is closer, the risk exists. According to what a Scandinavian (a Norwegian, who lived in Sweden most of his life) boss I had, learning European Portuguese to go to Brazil is close to learning Swedish to go to Norway. Some info at http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/1675/

I don't think reading will help your communication as much as watching TV. You may get some free online channels at http://www.tvgratis.tv . Of course, content will not be sooo interesting, maybe Amauri Jr.'s channel (interviews) will be the most endurable there. If you get Brazilian cable TV where you are, give it a shot. At least you'll tune your ear to the sound, so whatever is left from your infancy may come out. According to a physician'it's all there, all your brain has to do is to find where.

Boa sorte!
Collapse

Marius Feilberg Jacobsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice Dec 12, 2008

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Marius,

First of all, be very careful about the Portuguese variant you learn. As Portugal is closer, the risk exists. According to what a Scandinavian (a Norwegian, who lived in Sweden most of his life) boss I had, learning European Portuguese to go to Brazil is close to learning Swedish to go to Norway. Some info at http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/1675/

I don't think reading will help your communication as much as watching TV. You may get some free online channels at http://www.tvgratis.tv . Of course, content will not be sooo interesting, maybe Amauri Jr.'s channel (interviews) will be the most endurable there. If you get Brazilian cable TV where you are, give it a shot. At least you'll tune your ear to the sound, so whatever is left from your infancy may come out. According to a physician'it's all there, all your brain has to do is to find where.

Boa sorte!

Thanks for the advice! I have also been told that a language is truly never forgotten and that's why I'm so eager to learn it. I think I can also get a hold of some Brazilian Portuguese movies. I'll definitely give that a try!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Is this a method? Dec 12, 2008

MariusJacobsen wrote:
I think I can also get a hold of some Brazilian Portuguese movies. I'll definitely give that a try!

My wife is an ESL teacher, while I am a translator. Our (unwritten!) agreement is that she doesn't translate, and I don't teach English. So I'm guessing here.

If you find Brazilian movies (or soap operas?) subtitled, thanks to DVD resources, one idea might be to warch each of them once with the subs on, initially as language "crutches" for you, and maybe a couple of days later watch it again with the subs off, to see if you can still understand what is said. As you already know what it's all about, the words/phrases with their meanings should seep in.

YouTube has some stuff too.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TV suggestions Dec 12, 2008

TV Globo and TV Record, two of Brazil's main TV stations, have international channels which shall be a help for you to learn Portuguese, if you can get them where you are.

The sites are:

tvglobointernacional.globo.com

www.recordinternacional.com

Globo is a good all-round station, the news programmes and soap operas are particularly good. You may even
... See more
TV Globo and TV Record, two of Brazil's main TV stations, have international channels which shall be a help for you to learn Portuguese, if you can get them where you are.

The sites are:

tvglobointernacional.globo.com

www.recordinternacional.com

Globo is a good all-round station, the news programmes and soap operas are particularly good. You may even be able to get the last chapters of "A Favorita", the latest craze here. On the news side, try "Jornal Nacional", the country's most influential news programme, and "Fantástico", a variety show. Remember that Brazil is GMT - 3, so "Bom Dia Brasil" (Good Morning Brazil) could be aired in the afternoon or even at night, depending on your time zone.

Can't say much about Record, as I don't watch them that much, but they also have good news programmes.

Desejo bastante sucesso no seu aprendizado da língua portuguesa.

PAUL

[Edited at 2008-12-12 12:00 GMT]
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I was in a similar situation Dec 12, 2008

I learned Portuguese when I spent two years in Porto Alegre and Curitiba back in the late 60s, but forgot it (or so it seemed) when I returned to the USA. Nearly two decades later, as a music journalist, I got the chance to interview the singer Djavan (by telephone), who didn't speak any English. I was so eager to do this assignment that I just grabbed anything I could to get my Portuguese up to snuff. I found the most helpful thing for me was to read anything in Brazilian Portuguese out loud, s... See more
I learned Portuguese when I spent two years in Porto Alegre and Curitiba back in the late 60s, but forgot it (or so it seemed) when I returned to the USA. Nearly two decades later, as a music journalist, I got the chance to interview the singer Djavan (by telephone), who didn't speak any English. I was so eager to do this assignment that I just grabbed anything I could to get my Portuguese up to snuff. I found the most helpful thing for me was to read anything in Brazilian Portuguese out loud, so I did a lot of that, and the interview actually went very well, thanks to Djavan's kind patience!

So, I would do that, and also the suggestions about Brazilian movies and TV are very good.
Collapse

Marius Feilberg Jacobsen
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Brazilian Portuguese DVDs? Dec 12, 2008

and also the suggestions about Brazilian movies and TV are very good.

Thanks! Does anyone know where (or if) I can get my hands on some Brazilian Portuguese DVDs with English subtitles? Is there a site similar to Amazon or Play.com where I might be able to order them?

I'm talking about current DVDs like Batman, Superbad, I am legend, etc...

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
DVDs Dec 12, 2008

MariusJacobsen wrote:
Does anyone know where (or if) I can get my hands on some Brazilian Portuguese DVDs with English subtitles? Is there a site similar to Amazon or Play.com where I might be able to order them?

I'm talking about current DVDs like Batman, Superbad, I am legend, etc...

Marius...try www.submarino.com.br
They ship DVDs overseas and you can pay with a credit card. I have bought lots of stuff from them and they have been reliable. They have Batman.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
DVDs with region codes Dec 12, 2008

Amy Duncan wrote:
Marius...try www.submarino.com.br
They ship DVDs overseas and you can pay with a credit card. I have bought lots of stuff from them and they have been reliable. They have Batman.

However first make sure that your equipment can play Region 4 DVDs, or that you can unlock it to do so.

See http://www.videohelp.com/glossary?R#Region%20Coding

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm learning Portuguese! Any tips?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »