https://www.proz.com/forum/portuguese/18006-is_004_sud_for_no_match_and_001_usd_for_repetitions_a_fair_price.html

Is 0,04 SUD for no match and 0,01 USD for repetitions a fair price?
Thread poster: altalingua RO
altalingua RO
altalingua RO
Romania
Local time: 13:46
Member (2003)
German to Romanian
Feb 2, 2004

AltaLingua is Romania's no.1 service provider.

We have been asked by one of our customers to provide an EN->PT (Portugal) translation of software related texts.

The volume is of:
no match: 25.328 s/w
repetitions: 2.516 s/w
and more texts are about to come.

As the texts are in TagEditor, TRADOS use is a must.

The client has a limited budget and can only pay us 0,05 s/w.
Out of this small sum we are willing to offer 0,04 s
... See more
AltaLingua is Romania's no.1 service provider.

We have been asked by one of our customers to provide an EN->PT (Portugal) translation of software related texts.

The volume is of:
no match: 25.328 s/w
repetitions: 2.516 s/w
and more texts are about to come.

As the texts are in TagEditor, TRADOS use is a must.

The client has a limited budget and can only pay us 0,05 s/w.
Out of this small sum we are willing to offer 0,04 s/w to the translator.

Our problem is that we only deliver quality jobs to our customers and we don't want to change that.

So, do you think we should accept this job as there is someone reliable enough to do it at top quality for this rate? Or we should better turn it down?

I appreciate your answers.

Regards,

Lucian Dumitrescu
AltaLingua - Technical Translations
[email protected]
Collapse

Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:46
Portuguese to English
Pricing = highly subjective and market-driven, but... Feb 2, 2004

It definitely seems to be on the low side, at least for the markets I am familiar with (Europe and North America).

Not to say that it's impossible to find a qualified translator to work at this rate... just much more challenging, in particular when you consider that the job is highly specialized and requires investments in expensive software.

Whether you accept or turn down the job is obviously contingent upon finding a qualified person to work at this rate. I might try
... See more
It definitely seems to be on the low side, at least for the markets I am familiar with (Europe and North America).

Not to say that it's impossible to find a qualified translator to work at this rate... just much more challenging, in particular when you consider that the job is highly specialized and requires investments in expensive software.

Whether you accept or turn down the job is obviously contingent upon finding a qualified person to work at this rate. I might try the other route, i.e. educating your customer about the translation process, explaining that the project will require a live human being with very special skills to sit in front of a computer for many days performing highly-analytical tasks. They may change their mind.

Good luck either way!

Todd
Collapse

altalingua RO
altalingua RO
Romania
Member (2003)
German to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. We tried that ... :-) Feb 2, 2004

It seems the customer has very tight budgets. The idea is: this way or not...

Here is some sample text:

Choose the unique name (distinguished name) of the organization on the specified directory resource where you want to create the directory junction. Choose from the base organizations defined on the resource. If only one base organization is defined, then it is automatically selected. A resource must have a base organization defined to be used as a directory junction.
... See more
It seems the customer has very tight budgets. The idea is: this way or not...

Here is some sample text:

Choose the unique name (distinguished name) of the organization on the specified directory resource where you want to create the directory junction. Choose from the base organizations defined on the resource. If only one base organization is defined, then it is automatically selected. A resource must have a base organization defined to be used as a directory junction.

Lucian
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:46
English to German
+ ...
and more texts are about to come? Feb 2, 2004

I am not going to discuss this rate here,
but if you think that more work like that is
a) an argument for a lower rate, and
b) you think it is a serious offer,
just offer usual rates and a refund
payable when the announced work
will really arrive and be acceptable..

Harry

altalingua RO
altalingua RO
Romania
Member (2003)
German to Romanian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your suggestions Feb 2, 2004

We are in this business for some time and are familiar with all of them...

I have received per e-mail some positive feedback from serious PT translators so I decided to accept the job.

I wish you all a lot of orders.

Regards,

Lucian

João Brogueira
João Brogueira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Low Feb 3, 2004

Well, at US 0.04 (EUR 0.031) I very much doubt that any serious translator living in Portugal will have the time he/she needs to translate the texts to your high quality standards, especially because it seems that your budget won\'t allow for a proofreader.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is 0,04 SUD for no match and 0,01 USD for repetitions a fair price?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »