Thread poster: Karina Pelech

Karina Pelech  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:21
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 29, 2004

Dear All,

I'd very much appreciate it if translators living and working in Brazil could let me know which internet service is best over there. I am looking into spending some time of the year in Guarujá and wouldn`t like to have to rely on cybercafés or a dial-up connection to be able to work.
TIA & best regards from Argentina,

[Edited at 2004-04-30 12:34]

Direct link Reply with quote

Adriana Caraccio Morgan, Dip Trans IOL  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:21
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Guarujá Apr 30, 2004

Dear Karina,

I live in Santos, neighbour to Guarujá, and here we have loads of internet service. You can use a free one (IG, for example) to connect via dial-up. You just have to download their "dialer" application and that's it.
If you want more info, feel free to write directly to me.
Best Regards

Wiebke Herbig  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:21
Member (2003)
Portuguese to German
+ ...
speeduol Apr 30, 2004

Hi Karina,

I use Speeduol (used to be Speedy and Uol). (prices:

Speedy is not the cheapest provider, but it was the only one available here in downtown São Paulo. I’m usually online for 14-16 hours a day, and in almost a year, I was without internet access for about 5 or 10 hours – don’t even remember.

Uol isn’t cheap, either, but offers access to a lot of dictionaries (and newspapers) which I find extremely useful.

I’m not too fond of the Speedy service hotline (never managed to get through…), but since it became speeduol, all I need is the uol-hotline, and they are always available and efficient.

Besides Speedy, the only providers I’m aware of are and, but I can’t tell you anything about their services.

Hope it helps a bit, and have fun in Guarujá

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking for advice on internet connectivity in Brazil

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs