Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:13
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Jun 15, 2002

Hello

I\'d like to know what are the differences between these two kinds of Portuguese. Are they similar to Spanish differences? Is it for the written language ? How would you be able to notice if a translation was done by a Portuguese or Brazilian translator ?

Any comment would be useful

Thanks a lot

Claudia

Direct link Reply with quote

Fiona N�voa
Portugal
Local time: 18:13
Member (2003)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Differences between Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese Jun 15, 2002

Hello Claudia,

There\'s really a lot of difference, moreso than from European Spanish to South American Spanish. Here\'s a site reference that I hope you\'ll find usefull:

http://www.necco.ca/faq_european_brazilian_port.htm

Bye for now,

Fiona

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! So many differences !? Jun 16, 2002

Thanks for your answer Fiona, this article is very interesting and enlightening, but doesn\'t fit with what I had been told by three Brazilian friends. Do you personnally agree ? Would you recommend me to have two versions of portuguese ?

Thanks again

Claudia

José Cavalcante  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Usage differences Jun 23, 2002

Basically, both languages have the same structure, but ther is a lot of usage differences.

Ex.:

The Continental Portuguese phrase \"Peguei o rabo da bicha\" (I went to the end of the line) in Brazil would be \"I had sex with a gay\"!!!

Jorge Freire  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
European Portuguese rather than Continental Portuguese Jul 24, 2002

This is always an interesting topic to discuss. I read the some of the articles (very good ones)that were in the link suggested by Fiona, and noticed that the reference to Portuguese from Portugal is CP for Continental Portuguese. Why is that? Isn\'t Brasil in a continent? I suppose that the origin of this designation comes from the British. They consider that everything that is not from the \"islands\" is from the \"continent\",in this case synonim of Europe. As the first contact the English people had with Portuguese language was with Portugal, they called it Continental Portuguese. But I think it is more correct the use of expression European Portuguese. One could say Portuguese Portuguese in opposition to Brazilian Portuguese, but that would soun ridiculous.
[addsig]

Gabriela Frazao  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2002)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
European Portuguese Jul 25, 2002

Desde há muito que optei por português europeu, precisamente pelas razões que o Jorge refere.

Abraços

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Portuguese from Portugal and Brazil

Advanced search

Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs