Certification Examination - need your input!
Thread poster: Laura Sa
Laura Sa
Local time: 02:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 8, 2002

I am an associate with one of the Translators and Interpreters Association of my Province but not yet certified with them.

From your professional experience, could you advise me if I should try to obtain Certification on translation from English to Portuguese first or Portuguese to English would be my best option.

Also, is the Certification an important asset when it is time to be selected for freelance work?

Direct link Reply with quote

ttagir  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:05
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Depends on... Nov 9, 2002

Dear Laura:

The value of your certification for freelance works depends on whether job-giver would like to read your certificates or prefer to send tests and evaluate the real results.

Certainly, in some parts the presence of a certificate increases your chances to win in a competition. However, work for companies with known brandname is much more effective than any certification.

One additional thing could be a certificate obtained via Brainbench.com - they may provide you with certificates in written English and even Portuguese.

[Portanto, parece que seria mais facil visitar o sitio deles and tentar obter uma avaliacao la. Queria dizer que ser certificado por uma compania internacionalmente conhecida e mais util de que receber um atestado duma sociedade provincial ]

Yours,

Tagir.

Laura Sa
Local time: 02:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 11, 2002

Thanks Tagir for your input.

I will certainly visit the site you mentioned.

It\'s nice to see people like you sharing experiences. All the best!

Laura

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Certification Examination - need your input!

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs