Marlene Curtis
Marlene Curtis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 29, 2007

Hi, friends

Do you know a good legal Portuguese/English/Portuguese Dictionary you can recommend? Do you think the Noronha dictionary is good and reliable? (I had a few bad reports on it and am left with no options). Thank you very much in advance!

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
Mafalda d'Orey de Faria  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dicionário Jurídico Nov 29, 2007

Hi Marlcurtis,
Although I do not specialize in legal translations, when needed I use:
'Dicionário Jurídico' PT/EN - EN/PT de Maria Chaves de Mello - Editora Elfos

Espero que ajude
Mafalda

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Local time: 11:05
Italian to English
+ ...
Reference web page to order? Nov 29, 2007

Mafalda, do you have a web page from which one can order (preferably in CD-Rom)?

I did a search, found references to the dictionary, but nothing directly from the publishing house.

Thanks

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Bad news Nov 29, 2007

As far as legal goes, we get the short end of the stick in the PT/EN dictionary market.

Those available - or at least those I've seen (let me cover myself) - range from hopeless to barely adequate, which is borne out by the general lousy standard of PT/EN legal translations.

That said, those that do exist also target the US market, so are not much use this side of the pond.

I've just been sent a translation (totalling some 36,000 words) with a request from
... See more
As far as legal goes, we get the short end of the stick in the PT/EN dictionary market.

Those available - or at least those I've seen (let me cover myself) - range from hopeless to barely adequate, which is borne out by the general lousy standard of PT/EN legal translations.

That said, those that do exist also target the US market, so are not much use this side of the pond.

I've just been sent a translation (totalling some 36,000 words) with a request from the European Commission to the client to have it completely redone by a lawyer-linguist. The translator obviously didn't have a clue what he/she was doing and indiscriminately used these "wonderful resources" as the gospel.

The only good news is that a very good native EN translator, who is also a lawyer and based in Lisbon, is busy compiling what promises to be a best-seller. No idea though how far he is with it. Won't be a minute too soon when he's done.

[Edited at 2007-11-29 14:49]
Collapse

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
Mafalda d'Orey de Faria  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
dicionário jurídico Nov 29, 2007

Hi Latin Helas,
I bought mine in Porto and unfortunately do not know of a web page to order it.

Hi Lawyer Linguist,
I believe you are absolutely right. Let us wait for the promised final compilation from Lisbon.

All the best,

Mafalda

Latin_Hellas (X)
Latin_Hellas (X)
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks ... Nov 29, 2007

... Lawyer-Linguist for your excellent report and to Mafalda for responding.

Hopefully all those interested will be promptly informed if and when a good product comes out (hopefully also in CD-Rom).

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My approach Nov 29, 2007

As previously mentioned, there are some inadequate ones on the market and not much else.

I tend to supplement them by consulting the E.U.'s terminology database, IATE.

If all else fails, as an absolute last resort, I look up the nearest cognates in the excellent Spanish-English legal dictionaries on my shelf.

For some reason, Portuguese-English dictionaries of all types seem to be difficult to obtain, and either shortish or out of date.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
I'm going to try and find out ... Nov 29, 2007

Latin_Hellas wrote:

... Lawyer-Linguist for your excellent report and to Mafalda for responding.

Hopefully all those interested will be promptly informed if and when a good product comes out (hopefully also in CD-Rom).

... the expected release date and will ask about a possible CD version.

Will post once I have some news.

Debs

Pieter Merkx, M.A., B.Tr. (X)
Pieter Merkx, M.A., B.Tr. (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Legal Portuguese/English Dictionary Aug 31, 2012

Alas, no CD-ROM

http://www.editorametodo.com.br/produtos_descricao.asp?codigo_produto=322

(At least, i did not find one).

SLG
SLG  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
Hi Lawyer-Linguist. Was this legal dictionary published? Oct 24, 2012

[quote]Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

The only good news is that a very good native EN translator, who is also a lawyer and based in Lisbon, is busy compiling what promises to be a best-seller. No idea though how far he is with it. Won't be a minute too soon when he's done.

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
I second that question! Any news? Jul 4, 2015

[quote]SLG wrote:

Hi Lawyer-Linguist. Was this legal dictionary published?

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Unfortunately Jul 5, 2015

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

... - range from hopeless to barely adequate...

Fully agree. In any of the dictionaries had landed in my hands, I would find awful things. It's since long ago that I spare myself from even looking for such kind of dictionaries, their usage would just jeopardize the credibility of my work.
Now I am curious about this new one - será, será que finalmente?..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal Portuguese/English Dictionary

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »