Feature in Focus (Nov): Powwows
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 01:02
SITE FOUNDER
Nov 24, 2004

Thanks go to those who contributed in response to last month's "Feature in Focus" look at the Blue Board ( http://www.proz.com/topic/26159 ). With your input we have developed some improvements that are now being reviewed before release.

This month in the continuing "Feature in Focus" series, we look at ProZ.com "powwows"...

ProZ.com "powwows" are informal get-togethers of groups
... See more
Thanks go to those who contributed in response to last month's "Feature in Focus" look at the Blue Board ( http://www.proz.com/topic/26159 ). With your input we have developed some improvements that are now being reviewed before release.

This month in the continuing "Feature in Focus" series, we look at ProZ.com "powwows"...

ProZ.com "powwows" are informal get-togethers of groups of ProZ.com members living in close proximity. The events are organized by and for local members, and ProZ.com advertises them via banner ads online and through the monthly newsletter. The events are usually held at local restaurants or cafes.

Powwows provide an opportunity to socialize and exchange information in a relaxed environment. At the first few powwows in an area, there is normally a round of self-introductions followed by open conversation. As members in some areas have gotten to know each other and attendance has increased, local organizers have created more involved programs and agendas.

Any member who is either platinum or who has a verified identity can offer to organize a powwow. Organizers accept responsibility for selecting a location and date, taking
attendance and seeing to it that a report (and optionally, pictures) are posted after the powwow. ProZ.com provides a batch mailing function with preformatted messages to assist organizers in communicating with interested members and confirming their attendance. A "Howto" on organizing powwows is here: http://www.proz.com/howto/211

Powwows are not commercial. If there is a fee, it goes to the venue or local organizer to cover costs.

For more information, and to see the list of upcoming powwows, go to: http://proz.com/powwows

Have you been to a powwow, organized one, or are you interested in doing so? We would like your feedback on powwows and onsite powwow functionality. Please post advice for others, requests or questions in this forum thread!
Collapse

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:02
Latvian to English
+ ...
Entering powwow attendance online - (doesn't function!) Nov 24, 2004

We held our first powwow in Latvia on 23 October - however I have been unable to enter attendance details online (to enable attendees to receive their Browniz) as the link does not work.

I have submitted 2 support requests, to which I have received replies stating that it is a known problem that will be fixed (and that was a few weeks ago) - and since then, nothing!

Please can site staff solve this glitch in the system!!

Ciprian Dumea
Ciprian Dumea  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:02
English to Romanian
+ ...
cause and effect :-) Nov 24, 2004

In Romania we have held several PowWows - in the cities of Timisoara, Cluj, Cluj again, Bucharest and Brasov. The registration was simple, the PowWow page easy to use. As for the results...

In Timisoara (the very first Romanian meeting) we were about six people, discussing fees, taxes, clients and government. We got to know one-other, to know the others' backgrounds, to trust the others' opinion. We briefly discussed the need for a professional association.

During the s
... See more
In Romania we have held several PowWows - in the cities of Timisoara, Cluj, Cluj again, Bucharest and Brasov. The registration was simple, the PowWow page easy to use. As for the results...

In Timisoara (the very first Romanian meeting) we were about six people, discussing fees, taxes, clients and government. We got to know one-other, to know the others' backgrounds, to trust the others' opinion. We briefly discussed the need for a professional association.

During the second PowWow we discussed like old friends about our lives, hopes, expectations - needs. We decided to try to actually do something about them.

The rest is history: there where there was only an Association for Young Translators, now stands the Romanian Translators' Association, largely founded by that initial grup. If we were six at the beginning, we were almost 160 during the last PowWow - all professional translators, all interested in changing the client's image of the translator, many willing to give something of our freelance independence in order to help the others.

Here is,in brief, what we experienced in Romania. And actually this great result is not what mattered most, at least in my opinion: its true gain was, for all of us, to get to know one-another, trust one another, work with one another (several partnerships were born because of a brief, three hour meeeting).

You SHOULD give it a try. Go where so many have gone before, and (more importantly) returned with great results.

All the best,
Ciprian.

PS. Many worry "How will we gather? Will anyone come to a PowWow if I organise it?" The answer to that is that you propose one - it's often the hardest step.
Collapse

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 01:02
SITE STAFF
Powwow attendance link corrected Nov 24, 2004

Jana Teteris wrote:
We held our first powwow in Latvia on 23 October - however I have been unable to enter attendance details online (to enable attendees to receive their Browniz) as the link does not work.

Hi Jana,

The link to the attendance page in the powwow FAQ was out of date--I have updated the FAQ. You should be able to enter attendance for your powwow by clicking "Enter Attendance" at the top of your powwow page. I have corrected a glitch that was preventing that link from appearing to you.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jason

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:02
Latvian to English
+ ...
Thank you Jason (re. powwow attendance link) Nov 24, 2004

Thanks for updating the system so that we can now enter attendance details online. If I may make a suggestion - maybe there should be an additional option in the 'ID verified column', such as 'already verified'.

A big thank you to Henry et al for initiating the idea of powwows (and not being at all heavy-handed regarding the organisational aspects). Whilst I can't speak on behalf of everyone who attended our first powwow - I'm pretty sure that most participants found it very usefu
... See more
Thanks for updating the system so that we can now enter attendance details online. If I may make a suggestion - maybe there should be an additional option in the 'ID verified column', such as 'already verified'.

A big thank you to Henry et al for initiating the idea of powwows (and not being at all heavy-handed regarding the organisational aspects). Whilst I can't speak on behalf of everyone who attended our first powwow - I'm pretty sure that most participants found it very useful.
Collapse

A Hayes (X)
A Hayes (X)
Australia
Local time: 15:02
Sydney powwow Nov 25, 2004

Henry wrote:

Have you been to a powwow, organized one, or are you interested in doing so? We would like your feedback on powwows and onsite powwow functionality. Please post advice for others, requests or questions in this forum thread!

Dear Henry,

Our Sydney powwow was held last Saturday. The city sky was unusually grey, and yet, the minute i met the ProZ gang i found myself soaked in a bright and cheery atmosphere.

I believe last Saturday’s was Australia’s third powwow, with a fourth planned for next month in sunny Perth.

Maybe I’ll organise the 4th Oz powwow early next year… but you’ll have to come over!

Jason, I love your penguin icon!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Feature in Focus (Nov): Powwows

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »