Powwow Organizers or verified ID members planning to attend them - Help us!
Thread poster: Parrot

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:58
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 17, 2005

Last November 2002, ProZ.com started the Verified Identity program. The idea was simple: people feel more confident dealing with persons whose identity has been verified as true/existing.

Identities may be verified by a credit card transaction (see http://www.proz.com/faq/qa ) or when members have personally met an individual who has the capacity to verify their identities. Powwows are thus an excellent occasion on which to do this.

A verified identity does not imply that one's real name has to figure on the directory in public. S/he can simply fill in the identity fields on his profile and toggle them to be visible only to ProZ.com staff.

Any person who has had his identity verified as explained above may apply to Support Request for the capacity to verify identities in turn.

I would thus like to take the occasion to remind organizers or members with verified identities that they can do something really useful for our community by taking advantage of the many upcoming powwows this year.

Cecilia

Direct link Reply with quote

Tamara Zahran  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
English to Arabic
Thanks Cecilia Jan 17, 2005

Parrot wrote:

Last November 2002, ProZ.com started the Verified Identity program. The idea was simple: people feel more confident dealing with persons whose identity has been verified as true/existing.

Identities may be verified by a credit card transaction (see http://www.proz.com/faq/qa ) or when members have personally met an individual who has the capacity to verify their identities. Powwows are thus an excellent occasion on which to do this.

A verified identity does not imply that one's real name has to figure on the directory in public. S/he can simply fill in the identity fields on his profile and toggle them to be visible only to ProZ.com staff.

Any person who has had his identity verified as explained above may apply to Support Request for the capacity to verify identities in turn.

I would thus like to take the occasion to remind organizers or members with verified identities that they can do something really useful for our community by taking advantage of the many upcoming powwows this year.

Cecilia

Thanks for bringing it up.

Regards
Tamara

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:28
English to Tamil
+ ...
Can anyone help in having my id verified? Jan 17, 2005

I attended the powwow at Mumbai, India. I have got the browniZ earmarked for the attendees credited to my tally. But my id is yet to be verified. I had written to the organizer Sandhya K Murthy. She seems to be having some technical problems in this connection. Can some of the moderators help in this connection?

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't think there is a real problem here Jan 17, 2005

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

I attended the powwow at Mumbai, India. I have got the browniZ earmarked for the attendees credited to my tally. But my id is yet to be verified. I had written to the organizer Sandhya K Murthy. She seems to be having some technical problems in this connection. Can some of the moderators help in this connection?

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Sandhya is now a verifier, I checked this. However, she applied at the last minute and the procedure to give her verification capacity may have been delayed. When she reported/reports Powwow attendance, the verification comes out automatically if she checks the VID box on the attendance sheet. If it did not, she can always use the verifiers' interface.

Sandhya, if you're having any problems, just write me or Jason.

sandhya  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:28
German to English
+ ...
ID verification for Prozians from India Jan 17, 2005

Hi,

Yes, I am a verifier now. You are right Parrot, I applied late, as this facility was pointed out to me later by a fellow Prozian. I received the authority several days after the powwow was held. Then, came the holidays, followed by too much work:-)

By the end of January, I will be happy to verify IDs of members in India that attended the powwow.

Will get in touch with all of you soon.

cheers
sandhya

Parrot wrote:

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Sandhya is now a verifier, I checked this. However, she applied at the last minute and the procedure to give her verification capacity may have been delayed. When she reported/reports Powwow attendance, the verification comes out automatically if she checks the VID box on the attendance sheet. If it did not, she can always use the verifiers' interface.

Sandhya, if you're having any problems, just write me or Jason.

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:58
Member (2004)
Italian to English
Real names Jan 17, 2005

I was interested to see what you said about real names not being necessary Cecilia, so I referred back to the instructions Henry gave me eighteen months ago:

"Verify the identities of only those members who you have met in person, and whose profile names you know to be correct".

Since a passport or something similar is essential for verification purposes, I don't immediately see how it is possible to verify a pseudonym (unless, of course, the profile page links to a website or CV that gives a real name).

Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One's username does not have to be his profile name Jan 17, 2005

Russell Jones wrote:

I was interested to see what you said about real names not being necessary Cecilia, so I referred back to the instructions Henry gave me eighteen months ago:

"Verify the identities of only those members who you have met in person, and whose profile names you know to be correct".

Since a passport or something similar is essential for verification purposes, I don't immediately see how it is possible to verify a pseudonym (unless, of course, the profile page links to a website or CV that gives a real name).

Usernames on ProZ.com used to be limited to 8 characters. You can imagine how many "Marias" there were when I logged in, if there were already quite a few Cecilias. Later on the "username" field was extended, but some of us are already stuck with names like "Parrot". Still, there is another field in the profile where we can enter our real names, as I have.

I could make that visible at any time, but then you might take me all too seriously, and the few times I've tried to replace the little green bird, I got requests to bring him back (if I have to tell you the truth, he's the one who gets the fan mail, not me...).

I've held ID verification powwows, and in the attendance sheet I take care to write in the member's verified identity. It's up to him or her to disclose it or not, as s/he sees fit, but I always advise members to fill in the identity field (apart from the Username). This is because any change in the identity field causes the verification mark to disappear, and the person who changes what he has written (lowercase instead of uppercase, initials that were turned into full names, women who wrote in new family names after getting married, etc.) have to notify their verifier to repeat the process.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Powwow Organizers or verified ID members planning to attend them - Help us!

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums