Translators in the UK/s public sector?
Thread poster: Frini
Frini
Frini
Local time: 13:41
English to Greek
+ ...
Apr 3, 2008

I am having trouble looking for translation services in ministries/departments/offices and generally in the public sector of the UK for a project of mine. Aren't there any?
I am actually interested in the requisites one should fulfill in order to fill a translation vacancy in the public sector. Could someone help me?

Frini
Frini
Local time: 13:41
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
second thought Apr 3, 2008

...or is it maybe that the British government signs contracts with big translation companies in order to meet its needs for translating documents???
Help!

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:41
English to Arabic
+ ...
Translation agencies, mostly, I think Apr 3, 2008

I hope someone can help you with more precise information, but I can tell you that I've done some work for some UK government departments, all of which came through translation agencies. I don't know, however, if that is the general policy, or if some departments prefer to employ inhouse translators.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Write or telephone them Apr 4, 2008

Telephone their main helpline numbers and find out if they have their own translation departments

For DEFRA see – www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/contacts/index.htm – or write to their Library & Translation Service (check on the helpline for the correct address).

FCO – Main switchboard / General enquiries –
... See more
Telephone their main helpline numbers and find out if they have their own translation departments

For DEFRA see – www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/contacts/index.htm – or write to their Library & Translation Service (check on the helpline for the correct address).

FCO – Main switchboard / General enquiries – 020 7008 1500 – www.fco.gov.uk/en/

OPSI – General enquiries – Tel 020 7276 5229 – www.opsi.gov.uk/about/contact-us/phone-numbers-and-addresses.htm
Collapse

Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki (X)
Jean-Pierre Bergez Saretzki (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
mainly agencies Apr 4, 2008

As far as know, only the police has a tranlation and interpreting department. The rest of goverment departments will use agencies.

For interpreting there is a semi-official qualification (DPSI from the IoL) and a national register of public service interpreters (NRPSI). However, right now there is an ongoing problem because public service departments (hospitals, courts, etc.) that ought to be using this register are using agencies instead.

So, apart from the police, eve
... See more
As far as know, only the police has a tranlation and interpreting department. The rest of goverment departments will use agencies.

For interpreting there is a semi-official qualification (DPSI from the IoL) and a national register of public service interpreters (NRPSI). However, right now there is an ongoing problem because public service departments (hospitals, courts, etc.) that ought to be using this register are using agencies instead.

So, apart from the police, everybody else is using an agency (as far as I know). In fact, even the police will use an agency sometimes.

Jean-Pierre
Collapse

sandra lewis
sandra lewis
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
MI5 Apr 4, 2008

THe Security Service MI5 recruits translators on a regular basis.

https://www.mi5careers.gov.uk/job.aspx?jobid=41

Applicants need to be British citizens.

Rad Graban (X)
Rad Graban (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Slovak
+ ...
Agencies Apr 4, 2008

99% of my work is for the UK government (HMRC, DWP, HMPS, Immigration plus NHS, police, Highway Agency, etc,) and all are coming from the main two - The bigword and K-international.

Rad

Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Outsourcing and UK government Apr 4, 2008

Frini,
Ben Jones wrote about this in the last edition of the ITI bulletin.
You may find the following link interesting:
http://www.japanesetranslations.co.uk/en/bulletin.htm

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Security clearance Apr 4, 2008

Rad Graban wrote:

99% of my work is for the UK government (HMRC, DWP, HMPS, Immigration plus NHS, police, Highway Agency, etc,) and all are coming from the main two - The bigword and K-international.

Rad

I wanted to add that for certain jobs coming through agencies, individual translators have to be security cleared first before getting the job. British citizenship is not a prerequisite in these cases however.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators in the UK/s public sector?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »