https://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/102226-project_manager_training.html

Project Manager Training
Thread poster: Lyns
Lyns
Lyns
Italy
Local time: 07:39
Italian to English
Apr 14, 2008

Hello everyone,
I've recently found and missed out on a Project Manager position in a translation agency because I didn't have adequate experience or training. I don't want the same thing to happen again so I'd like to find out about courses and training for Project Management. Ideally this would include SDL/Trados training, but if not then I'd have to study that separately, and would be held in Ireland or Italy. Has anyone had experience with this or know how I can go about it?
... See more
Hello everyone,
I've recently found and missed out on a Project Manager position in a translation agency because I didn't have adequate experience or training. I don't want the same thing to happen again so I'd like to find out about courses and training for Project Management. Ideally this would include SDL/Trados training, but if not then I'd have to study that separately, and would be held in Ireland or Italy. Has anyone had experience with this or know how I can go about it?
Thanks a lot,
Lyns
Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 06:39
in ireland Apr 14, 2008

There isn't a PM course specifically for translation/localisation in Ireland as such, though a translator can transfer certain skills to that area (planning, scheduling, subject knowledge etc. Really, PM is required in such a wide range of fields; in this case translation is the commodity you're managing.

You can do a general PM course in a business school or the Irish Management Institute, Irish Project Management Institute.

Where I work now, the PMs don't need to wo
... See more
There isn't a PM course specifically for translation/localisation in Ireland as such, though a translator can transfer certain skills to that area (planning, scheduling, subject knowledge etc. Really, PM is required in such a wide range of fields; in this case translation is the commodity you're managing.

You can do a general PM course in a business school or the Irish Management Institute, Irish Project Management Institute.

Where I work now, the PMs don't need to work with Trados. All they need to know is the breakdown of word matches in order to calculate the POs and someone else does the alignments, analyses etc.
It is nice if they've worked with it but for them, it is more important to be familiar with finance and general overall organisation of a project.
Collapse

Lyns
Lyns
Italy
Local time: 07:39
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Project Manager Training Apr 15, 2008

Thanks Orla,
I'll look into it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project Manager Training

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »